Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 10:12 AM

54 posts, read 88,028 times

Advertisements

Hi! On the City of Glendale webpage there is a water quality report, but it is years old as is a lot of the info on this topic in this forum. So, I thought I might be able to get some updated info on the tap water quality situation in Glendale/Peoria. What's your opinion?

Can one safely drink the water in Glendale/Peoria either out of the tap or through a refrigerator filter?

What is the source of the water? A co-worker said the canals, but I thought that was just for irrigation. I thought it was piped in underground.

Do you use one of those water kiosks one sees in the mall parking lots, or do you have a service provider who delivers, or did you simply have a big filtration system installed?

The big filtration system install is not a good choice for me, since I rent, not own.

Thanks for any updated info.

-d.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 11:01 AM

39,094 posts, read 51,295,696 times
All municipal water from city and private providers in the Phoenix metro meets safe drinking water standards. It may not taste like the water where you came from due to mineral content variations, but it is perfectly safe. There are several sources of water including the Salt and Colorado River and groundwater. The water often comes from the canals, but its not like they just dip in a pipe and send it to your house. The water is treated at one of several treatment plants and then sent into the distribution system.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:10 AM

Thanks. I was a little concerned about the canal issue, since the news resurfaced about murdered bodies being thrown in there years back. I'm sure based on smell that there is enough chlorine in that water to neutralize anything but still,... Eww!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdayze View Post
Thanks. I was a little concerned about the canal issue, since the news resurfaced about murdered bodies being thrown in there years back. I'm sure based on smell that there is enough chlorine in that water to kill anything but still,... Eww!
They drain the canals each winter for cleanup. You would be shocked at the stuff the find in there! It's best not to even think about it.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:32 AM

LOL,.. I was thinking about what they do with the fish, actually. :-)

Old 01-17-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
LOL,.. I was thinking about what they do with the fish, actually. :-)
They catch most of them and relocate them during the clean up.

Before dredging the canal, crews take fish for a drive | KJZZ

Old 01-17-2015, 07:06 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,703,436 times
FWIW, many/most landlords won't mind if you install an RO system undersink - they'll just want you to take care of your own filter changes & either leave the system there or pay to plug the pipes when you leave.

I did the water-jug thing myself for a couple of years, and while it is probably cheaper than your own RO, it's a drag, just like going to a laundrymat.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:40 AM

9,784 posts, read 11,187,785 times
Quote:
The big filtration system install is not a good choice for me, since I rent, not own.

-d.
To date, I've been drinking the water though the carbon filter on the Fridge. Don't have a filter on the Fridge? Then buy a Brita Brita® Water Filtration Slim Pitcher - BedBathandBeyond.com . There is still a lot of total dissolved solids. The bad news is those Brita's take up so much space in the Fridge. Plus impurities like metals go though carbon with ease.

For $299 installed, you can get a 5 stage RO system. Most people that sell these in AZ are made / assembled in Gilbert via Home | B&R Industries . Go on Craigslist and 4 or 5 people are selling them. Even less $$ if you are a DIY type person.

Yea, drinking chlorinated canal water isn't a what I call quality water. But look at the bright side, you don't get all of the drugs in Phoenix canal water because of this Drugs in Our Drinking Water? factoid.

You are $300 a way from having tastier water via a cheap 6 stage RO system. Less for a 4 stage. I pulled the trigger on a fancy whole house system myself and the RO. Wifey mandated it for her skin and taste buds. But the RO is a smart investment. I'm not so worry about the health aspects as much the taste. So the bonus is your water won't be soaking along with the crap that are in the canals.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
To date, I've been drinking the water though the carbon filter on the Fridge. Don't have a filter on the Fridge? Then buy a Brita Brita® Water Filtration Slim Pitcher - BedBathandBeyond.com . There is still a lot of total dissolved solids. The bad news is those Brita's take up so much space in the Fridge. Plus impurities like metals go though carbon with ease.

For $299 installed, you can get a 5 stage RO system. Most people that sell these in AZ are made / assembled in Gilbert via Home | B&R Industries . Go on Craigslist and 4 or 5 people are selling them. Even less $$ if you are a DIY type person.

Yea, drinking chlorinated canal water isn't a what I call quality water. But look at the bright side, you don't get all of the drugs in Phoenix canal water because of this Drugs in Our Drinking Water? factoid.

You are $300 a way from having tastier water via a cheap 6 stage RO system. Less for a 4 stage. I pulled the trigger on a fancy whole house system myself and the RO. Wifey mandated it for her skin and taste buds. But the RO is a smart investment. I'm not so worry about the health aspects as much the taste. So the bonus is your water won't be soaking along with the crap that are in the canals.
Yep, at least we aren't drinking recycled sewage like most of the country does.

The downside of RO is that it takes almost all the minerals out of the water. Trace minerals are good for you and water is a good source of them. I have even heard that you should not be making baby formula with RO water for this reason - they need the minerals.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:38 AM

9,784 posts, read 11,187,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yep, at least we aren't drinking recycled sewage like most of the country does.

The downside of RO is that it takes almost all the minerals out of the water. Trace minerals are good for you and water is a good source of them. I have even heard that you should not be making baby formula with RO water for this reason - they need the minerals.
There are two theories on that. Some think minerals in water cannot be absorbed while others think they are important. God only knows I drink enough water out of the tap at restaurants so I will still be drinking pletey of tap water. Plus I take vitamins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area