Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 AM

209 posts, read 502,998 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate back to AZ very soon. What area has lower property taxes? We are looking to be around the San Tan Village area and can go to either city. Which area has better schools?
We are looking to stay under 200K but still be in a nice area. We used to live in Finly Farms back in 05 when we left but would like a different area this time. Any advice here would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
I'm not sure about property taxes, they'd be pretty much the same except perhaps differences in the school district assessments.

Both cities have good schools. South Chandler has particularly good ones; Hamilton High School, for future reference, is excellent.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:56 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
I agree with observer53 either city would have outstanding schools in that area, if I were you I wouldn't be picking a city I'd be picking the best house you find in target area that fits your budget and whether it falls on one side or the other of the city line is how it falls.

If it comes down to a coin toss do note that Gilbert has prettier black & white police cars.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:08 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Pretty much the same as far as property taxes and schools. Since you want to be by Santan Village, the closest High Schools are Campo Verde (Gilbert), Williams Field (Gilbert), Perry (Chandler district, City of Gilbert), Basha (Chandler), Hamilton (Chandler). The two Gilbert schools are actually in the Higley district, which has smaller high schools. The Chandler district schools are massive, and they are all 3 excellent. I actually don't know a lot about the Higley district, but the Gilbert District is good, and so is Chandler.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:38 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
I think Gilbert is better for what you are seeking. I'm an unabashed Chandler homer and resident so this means a lot coming from me. I will admit that Gilbert seems to offer more bang for your buck with regards to houses. They seem to be newer, nicer and cheaper. And in terms of schools, it's a toss up. They both have great schools. I just think Gilbert is a safer bet in terms of schools and quality of homes. If you desire diversity, better shopping and dining opportunities, I would look into Chandler.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:09 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,453 times
Keep in mind in any city, there are some areas that extremely smell like farm. It can be nauseous driving through some areas on a warm day with that smell...

But most areas are absolutely beautiful and lack that smell. I think the further south of the 202 you go, the bigger the chance you have to run into the stinky farms. At least that's my experience...

I like both cities, but I have a bias, and I like Chandler better. I do think though, that if you wanted to live by the San Tan Village, you'd want to live in Gilbert.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:02 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Keep in mind in any city, there are some areas that extremely smell like farm. It can be nauseous driving through some areas on a warm day with that smell...

But most areas are absolutely beautiful and lack that smell. I think the further south of the 202 you go, the bigger the chance you have to run into the stinky farms. At least that's my experience...
Is this true of the Ocotillo area and Sun Lakes areas too or mostly to the east of there?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashina View Post
Is this true of the Ocotillo area and Sun Lakes areas too or mostly to the east of there?
No I love the Ocotillo area, it's very fancy. I can't comment on Sun Lakes, but I've spent a lot of time around Ocotillo and there's no farm smell there. It's mostly to the east, in the south Gilbert area that I've noticed that. But there's certain random small farms in any part of the south of the 202 that I've gotten a whiff. I can't pinpoint any though.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:09 PM

38 posts, read 83,923 times
We just moved to Gilbert near San Tan Village and absolutely love the area. We don't have kids though, so I can't really say much about the schools.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:25 PM

209 posts, read 502,998 times
Well we will be home schooling ours kids but I was looking at a nice school district just incase they would like to go back to public school. Right now they are enjoying being home schooled. We don't actually mind the farm smell as it reminds us of the country...Farming area's that is! I agree south Chandler is where you tend t o notice it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area