Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:03 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times

Advertisements

Ok, so most of this seems like common sense but you'd be surprised. The picture of the car in this link was taken after a storm last year (Monsoon 2007) LOL!

Motorists urged to heed flood warnings

Some of the "precautions" seem a much given that most people won't experience flooding conditions near their home, BUT there are some. In the north valley last year entire neighborhoods experienced flash flooding that damaged homes inside and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 03:49 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
Also since the area typically receives little rain, there are generally no actual storm sewers to carry the water away around where I live (north Phoenix/north Scottsdale). This little tidbit interested me coming from Cleveland. Other than some parking lots and the like which have drains, most roadways do not. Which means the only place for the water to go is...the roads and off to the sides of the roads. Where it accumulates in basins or washes (essentially a bunch of rocks on top of dirt where the water is supposed to soak down into the dirt). For a small rainshower, idea works. For anything resembling real rain-there will be flooding.

Watch for low-lying areas in roads. My personal favorites during last year's heavy rain were most of the intersections down Hayden. "HEY WHO PUT THE SWIMMING POOL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD???" Also right by where I live (Chauncey at Scottsdale) there is a big "dip" in the road----->which promptly became a swimming pool. An unsuspecting driver would not have anticipated it as the roadway approaching the intersection is a bit higher. And Scottsdale Rd north of the 101 was actually closed at a couple points I believe.

I would suspect that a real real real real heavy widespread rain over a short period would obliterate the intersection of FLW and Scottsdale Rd. A canal runs parallel and if that overflowed, that would be really really ugly.

Pay careful attention to the Stupid Motorist Law. If you are stupid enough to drive into a flooded area, they will bill you the cost of what it cost to fish you out.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:44 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Good thread! A lot of people don't take monsoon seriously and get into trouble. Hopefully this will help.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:07 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Also since the area typically receives little rain, there are generally no actual storm sewers to carry the water away around where I live (north Phoenix/north Scottsdale). This little tidbit interested me coming from Cleveland. Other than some parking lots and the like which have drains, most roadways do not. Which means the only place for the water to go is...the roads and off to the sides of the roads. Where it accumulates in basins or washes (essentially a bunch of rocks on top of dirt where the water is supposed to soak down into the dirt). For a small rainshower, idea works. For anything resembling real rain-there will be flooding.

Watch for low-lying areas in roads. My personal favorites during last year's heavy rain were most of the intersections down Hayden. "HEY WHO PUT THE SWIMMING POOL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD???" Also right by where I live (Chauncey at Scottsdale) there is a big "dip" in the road----->which promptly became a swimming pool. An unsuspecting driver would not have anticipated it as the roadway approaching the intersection is a bit higher. And Scottsdale Rd north of the 101 was actually closed at a couple points I believe.

I would suspect that a real real real real heavy widespread rain over a short period would obliterate the intersection of FLW and Scottsdale Rd. A canal runs parallel and if that overflowed, that would be really really ugly.

Pay careful attention to the Stupid Motorist Law. If you are stupid enough to drive into a flooded area, they will bill you the cost of what it cost to fish you out.
"Lack" of storm drains in your area is a problem, but I suspect it has to do with the capacity of the system that far from the city. Everywhere in Phoenix I have been has storm drains...especially downtown. I suspect one reason is because you live closer to natural washes and watersheds.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:15 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
A funny from a friend in Tucson,

But truth be told, the monsoon season started this week with thunderstorms and hail. Should have sent this last month!

Now this is Arizona!

It's so dry in Arizona that the Baptists are starting to baptize by sprinkling, the Methodists are using wet-wipes, the Presbyterians are giving out rain-checks, and the Catholics are praying for the wine to turn back into water.

Now, THAT'S Dry!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:43 PM

177 posts, read 432,067 times
It rains so little that The city of phoenix never invested in the expensive and complicated drainage systems that many eastern and northwestern cities use. We also have large riverbeds and floodplains that are raley running that taje up valuble space for development. This means roads get flooded and homes and businesses get swept away and damaged. And some people flood plain insurance.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:21 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,644,913 times
I hate driving to work at night when's its raining that hard and streets are flooded, it's really hard to see and oftentimes tree branches and other debri end up in the road. It doesn't help that there's always some jerk driving like a madman tailgating me...."I don't care if you have a big truck I'm not speeding up for you! Pass me or stay off my a**"!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:13 PM

54 posts, read 139,820 times
Interesting. As a Michigan girl relocating to Phoenix in just a few weeks this is helpful. I'm used to driving in rain and just the other day I was in a downpour with huge puddles, but it sounds like drainage is a real issue out there and what looks like a huge puddle may be much more than it seems.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:49 AM

932 posts, read 1,962,902 times
Water here loves to run off and pool up elsewhere. And here in the valley, when the water has no where else to flow into it rises. This causes all of our bridges to be washed out, roads crumbled, and thousands if not millions of dollars worth of damage. Phoenix has got to have one of the worst flooding issues in the U.S that's NOT on the coast.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:21 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysheli View Post
Interesting. As a Michigan girl relocating to Phoenix in just a few weeks this is helpful. I'm used to driving in rain and just the other day I was in a downpour with huge puddles, but it sounds like drainage is a real issue out there and what looks like a huge puddle may be much more than it seems.
Not nearly as bad as driving in the snow, just use common sense, don't speed, take time to slow down, and you'll be fine.

My fiancee was born and raised in Michigan and she does just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area