Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dramatic photography v.s. Natural "as seen" photography?
Dramatic (darker, heavier, moodier) 2 8.33%
Natural (brighter, lighter, happier) 15 62.50%
Eh. 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:05 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times

Advertisements

It all depends on the artist and what the artist is trying too convey...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 PM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i like to mix it up although i like even my regular photos to be bright,vivid and with lots of presence if the scene allows.

i use everything from subtle exposure fusions where ill merge multiple images into an hdr and if i didnt tell you i did it other then the wide range you would never know.

i once posted a thread here if you remember to pick out which photos i did in hdr and which werent. nobody got it correct.

i like to do 1 photo pseudo hdrs sometimes and other times ill shoot more traditional and use the nik color effex filters ..

it all keeps things interesting and looking different. especially living here in nyc there isnt much that hasnt been shot thousands of times and after a while it all looks like the same boring picture..

i couldnt care less if my photos were accurate,as long as folks enjoy them and i like creating them and if they sell ,even better....thats what its all about

Old 08-18-2010, 05:38 PM

71 posts, read 107,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
By "natural" photography, I meant as the eyeball sees it. No digital correction or added color tints. No darkening or softening to achieve a certain look. I'm sure there is a different pro word for what I'm trying to describe as "natural", but that's what first came to mind, haha.

As for high noon pictures being a bad idea, I think that's subjective... I personally prefer the look of pictures taken with the sun angle high. I guess I'm a bit desensitized to the look of sunset photos and late afternoon photos because there are soo many out there. I understand that from an artistic perspective they allow you to let loose, but from an aesthetic perspective I would always prefer the mid day picture.

Again, these are my beliefs, lol. I'm not expecting to win over people here, just looking to see what other people's preferences are.
I agree with you that shooting at high noon is subjective, and didn't mean to make my statement sound like a fact. Personally I prefer low contrast light (overcast, shade, shooting right after sundown) for trying to achieve a natural look.

It sounds like you're talking about SOOC photography (photography straight out of the camera). Personally I often find what comes out of my camera to be much too bland, and certainly not true to what I saw. Sometimes I'm happy with what I get and I just add a touch of sharpening; otherwise, I'm usually satisfied just choosing white balance and picture style. So, I do edit, but only to make my picture look like I remember it and not make a dramatic rendition of what I saw.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:46 PM

i think one of the reasons marilyn and i love photography so much is there are no bounds.. its not just about the image captured in the camera. its now albout the endless possibilities that image can become or the emotions it can convey.

we just never tire of it and we shoot hundreds of photos a week between us...if we had to live with just what comes out of the camera or just what we saw i think we would have given it up years ago.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:53 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Voted 'natural'. I don't mind minimal post processing for corrections, ie to make it look like it appears to the eye, but do not like heavy editing that make it appear un-natural. This includes most HDR I've seen.

For example, this gallery is just out of control. Most of the pics are almost psychedelic.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cordell....UNTAINSCAPESI#

Last edited by 11thHour; 08-19-2010 at 02:02 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 04:28 AM

actually i like quite a few of those shots , but then again i would ha ha

Old 08-19-2010, 04:58 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,551,037 times
Default Dramatic photography v.s. Natural "as seen" photography?

Me my husband and 11 yr old son recently visited Boston's Museum of Science. Talk about "natural potography", I wish my husband would let me post it...well anyway we visited the butterfly room. I stayed outside because it was to humid and my husband and son went in for a brief time. My son came running out grabbing at his chest screaming "ma, ma" and my husband laughing after him. My husband snapped a photo of my son holding a pretty large butterfly on his finger with it's wings almost touching his nose with the look of horror on his face. On it's wings were markings that looked liked giant eyeballs. It scared the s*** out of Nick. My husband just caught the moment. Background colors were perfect everything about the picture were perfect. I told Nickolas that the next time our local newpaper is running a contest I am entering the picture and I'm sure he'll win first place..... This is a great example of Natural "as seen" photography.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:07 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,532 times
Thats nothing, have you seen Trey Ratcliffs stuff? Google "stuck in customs"

Old 08-19-2010, 08:05 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Voted 'natural'. I don't mind minimal post processing for corrections, ie to make it look like it appears to the eye, but do not like heavy editing that make it appear un-natural. This includes most HDR I've seen.
The flaw in your argument is that if it's a good HDR, you can't tell. So you really have no idea how many HDRs you've actually seen or what percentage you like or dislike. Like Mathjak says, we can post 10 pictures and you won't have a clue which ones are HDR or not.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:37 AM

yep, when i tried that here non of the naysayers were able to pick the right photos...... the hdr's were the most natural of the bunch because they had full dynamic range to them..

what folks dont realize is that there are many ways to process those hdr images. exposure fusion, merges or detail enhancing are just a few. its the light inversions from the detail enhancing that give it that phoney cartoon look. all the other methods are as natural as can be except blacks are black and whites are white without being rendered in grays as the camera will normally do when both are in the same scene.

these are all hdr, the last one is 9 exposures to capture the white snow and black lightpost.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-19-2010 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography