Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 08:11 PM

137 posts, read 503,114 times

Advertisements

I need help......

Nikon D3000, D3100, D5000.

I want to upgrade to one but am confused as heck. My main interest is taking action shots of my kids at dance, ballet, etc. Also will be shooting in auditoriums under lower light situations.

I was set on the D3000 then started thinking I'd go the D5000 so I woulnt have to upgrade anytime soon....but then the D3001 came out???? Help??

The $700 is about the top of my budget right now too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,297 times
Check out these comparisons.
Nikon D3100 Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

I have the D5000 and am very happy with it although I just got it as my first DSLR this year. There are other things to consider as well when looking at prices. Does it come with a lense? Do you want a longer lens? Will you want photo processing software like Photoshop?

If you're doing action shots the D5000 takes 4 frames per second, the D3100 is 3. I also use the wireless remote, the D3100 does not have that capability.

See this post from Floyd in Barrow. He's pretty full of himself but he does make some good points in this post. Wouldn't have swayed me from my D5000 though, it's the best I could afford.
//www.city-data.com/forum/alask...-barrow-2.html

Old 11-20-2010, 01:50 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
some reviews have found the 3000 to be nikons worst camera in a long time for quite a few reasons... the 5000 is excellent though.. i dont know to much about the 3100 other then the reviews are good

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-20-2010 at 02:20 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 06:57 AM

372 posts, read 740,532 times
I have the D5000; I havent really used since I got the D90, but its a great camera. I suggest you compare the specs of the 5000 and the 3100. I know that the 3100 has better video and more megapixels, but mp count does not matter that much.

Since you need to shoot under low light you should get the 35mm ƒ1.8 lens. The 50mm 1.4 AFS is nice too, but cost over $400. The $120 50mm 1.8 wont autofocus on any of the cameras you listed.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:21 AM

yep the 35mm f1.8 is a gem for the money..much more practical then the 50mm on a dx camera

Old 11-20-2010, 08:28 PM

137 posts, read 503,114 times
Okay, now I'm even more confused now that y'all are mentioning lenses!

I looked at the comparison charts...I think I need to get into my local wolfs camera and talk to someone

Old 11-20-2010, 09:48 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,598 times
It doesn't have to be confusing.

Unlike point-and-shoot cameras, SLRs (digital or film) don't have set lenses -- you buy the camera body and then you buy lenses separately to fit your needs (although you can buy most DSLRs in a package with a "kit lens", which is not always the best quality). There are certain factors that are impacted by the camera body while other things that are impacted by the lens you use -- your choice will depend on what you need to shoot.

So, let's look at your needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapsk8
My main interest is taking action shots of my kids at dance, ballet, etc. Also will be shooting in auditoriums under lower light situations.
So you will be shooting fast action under low light (presumably without flash).

Camera body
For capturing fast action, you'll want a camera with a good burst mode (the ability to take rapid shots in succession). Anything above 5 fps (frames per second) will probably work okay.

For good shooting in low light, you want good high-ISO performance. Different camera bodies have different noise performance at high ISO, so you'll have to find out which one that is (I'm not a Nikon guy, so I don't know about them).

So for camera body you want something with a decent burst mode + good high-ISO performance.

Lenses
Presumably, you will be sitting somewhat far away from the stage when shooting. If so, you will need a long focal length (how long depends on how far you'll be shooting from). You can get a long focal length lens as either a zoom lens (e.g. 18-200mm) or a prime (e.g. fixed at 200mm). Of course, if you can get close to the stage, then shorter focal lengths (e.g. 16-35mm, 35mm, 50mm) will work also.

With the camera's burst mode, you should be able to capture fast action with any lens.

The key aspect here is the ability to shoot in low light. To do that, you will need a fast lens, i.e. something that has a very wide aperture. A wide aperture means that the lens can gather a lot of light in a short amount of time. Aperture is expressed in terms of the f-number - the lower the f-number, the wider it can open, and the "faster" it is (many zoom lenses will have a range of f-numbers, meaning the maximum aperture changes as you zoom in and out). In order to shoot in low light, you will need a lens with a wide aperture, i.e. low f-number. Hence the recommendation for an f/1.8 lens. A lens that has a small maximum aperture (say f/4) will take longer to gather the same amount of light -- so you'll get blurring (either due to your subject moving or from camera shake). With an f/1.8 lens, you can use a fast shutter speed and freeze the action without any blurring.

One thing you should also look into is image stabilization (also called vibration compensation/reduction). This helps eliminate camera shakes/vibrations while shooting. This is especially useful for lenses with long focal lengths (since shakes are magnified at longer lengths).

So for lenses, you'll need something with a focal length that gives you the required reach to cover the distance you'll be shooting from, and you will need something with a low f-number, and possibly image stabilization.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:41 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapsk8 View Post
Okay, now I'm even more confused now that y'all are mentioning lenses!

I looked at the comparison charts...I think I need to get into my local wolfs camera and talk to someone
There's some really good advice in this thread.

My point, that wasn't very clear, was that you shouldn't be looking for the best camera to max out your budget as there are other things that you will want as well. Purchase a camera that fits your need but not the one that fits the top of your budget or you won't be able to purchase accesories.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:55 AM

your always better off spending less on the body and more on the lenses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography