Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times

Advertisements

For the experts here, I have a Canon S3 IS (not a DSLR) which does very well for me. I've tried to capture a waterfall like the one in this post where the water is not stopped but shows up as flowing.

//www.city-data.com/forum/10570125-post168.html

My question is, how can I achieve this? I have tried slowing down the shutter speed and playing with the f-stop but to no avail. Either the shots are washed out (white as can be) or dark as the night. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:48 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
you must have a denisty filter in order to get that silky look. they are like sunglasses for your camera that will let you shoot longer then 1 second exposures in dayliight . they come in different strengths

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...duated-nd.html

Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 AM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,025 times
Also, make sure that your ISO is set to the lowest value, then set your aperture to the largest numeric value (use aperture-priority mode). This will maximize your shutter speed within the bounds of normal exposure.

If this doesn't do enough, you will need a neutral density filter, as mathjak mentioned. If you have a polarizing filter, you can put that on to drop a couple of stops as well.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
First, use a tripod. Shoot in manual (M) exposure mode. Use a very small aperture, say F18 or so. ISO100 or lower if you camera supports it. Set your shutterspeed to something arbitrary like 1 second. If your camera has a meter in the viewfinder, you can get close by adjusting the shutterspeed while looking at the needle. The correct exposure will probably require the needle somewhere to the left of center, but not pinned against the left (although that's not gospel). Take a shot, and review on the LCD paying attention to how the waterfall looks. I don't know if this camera has "blinkies" that show areas that are blown out or not. That would be helpful it if did. If it's too dark, make the exposure a little longer. Too light, or if the waterfall is "blinking", shorten the exposure. Once you get waterfall dialed-in, voila. You've just mastered manual exposure.

Once you can do this consistently, you'll most likely be looking for ways to improve the shot. For example, while the waterfall will look good, the foreground may be too dark. That will most likely require blending multiple exposures to correct, either manually, or by using an HDR. If you want to get the waterfall really smooth, that will require a neutral density filter (basically just a smoked glass) so that you can get your shutter speed slower. Triumph's alternative suggestion of using a circular polarizer is a good one and can help reduce glare off the waterfall and pond at the same time.

Don't even bother trying one of the automatic modes as you'll just get variable results as you've already seen. AV mode can be made to work for this scene if you understand exposure compensation. However, then you're fighting it. Shooting manual is conceptually simpler and will give more consistent results.

Last edited by kdog; 09-22-2009 at 09:37 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 04:15 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I am honored that you chose my photos as examples (though my waterfalls are actually a bit washed out ). I'll just reiterate what others have said. Definitely use a tripod, and using the camera's timer can help too, so you don't shake it when pressing the shutter button. As the shutter speed decreases, the aperture needs to be smaller (higher number) to compensate for all the additional light entering the lens. For example, if you have the camera in Program, and it shoots the scene at 1/150 sec. with an aperture of 5.6, you'll need something more along the lines of 1 second and an aperture of, say, 12 or more. The faster the water is flowing and the larger quantity there is, the faster shutter you can get away with and the less likely you are to wash out the photo. As others have mentioned, the ISO should probably be at 100 (or less if your camera allows it) and a neutral density filter will help some if you're still getting washed out photos. You should be able to shoot shutter priority (TV), but shooting manually gives you more control in this situation, and will be more likely to give you the results you want.

But don't get carried away:

Old 09-22-2009, 04:56 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i love when you get that nice fluffy silk look ... thats my next area to learn how to do

Old 09-22-2009, 06:50 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I should also add: It helps a LOT if you are shooting in overcast conditions. Bright sunshine makes long exposures exceedingly difficult!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 12,423 times
I have been experimenting with HDR and waterfall photography. I bracket my shots -2,0,+2 EV, use a ND8 filter, set my aperture to give me the speed I want(usually start with .8 second), set the timer and stand back.
Waterfalls | Alaska Photography

Old 06-15-2011, 10:25 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,082 times
I have the SX10 which is a couple of models beyond yours, but haven't tried it much for waterfalls. Used to have your model, but never photographed moving water with it either.

Seems that it makes a difference whether you just want the waterfall, or to included people. I'm generally satisfied with at least 0.5 seconds for just water. With people, that's a stretch for them to stand totally still. The shot below was 0.3 seconds, surprisingly decent with 3 people: each could have moved a little. The ISO was 200. (was a Canon T2i BTW). Brightness reduced a little.

That is Orphic Rock Falls (seasonal) near the Doerner Fir in southern Oregon.

Attached Thumbnails
How to capture a waterfall-waterfall600.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography