Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:18 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,815,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Isn't the D10 a point & shoot?
No, the Canon D10 I have is a somewhat heavy DSLR but only 6 megapixels. I was using it with a Tamron 28-300 zoom, and it was a lot to carry around. I found when I switched to my Canon SX10 IS, not only was it easier to carry and travel with, but I found myself taking a lot more photos.

I'm finding that the Nikon D5100 isn't that much bigger or heavier than the SX10 IS, and I know that once I master all the controls and settings, I will be able to be far more creative with it -- especially after I invest in some better lenses.

In the meantime, I already have a lot of filters that will work just fine with the two kits lenses, as some of my older lenses had 52mm threads also.

This morning I happened to show my first attempt at a canvas wrap (16 x 20) pf one of my photos to some ladies I meet for coffee every Monday, and one of them wants to buy one just like it plus another one of my photos (yet to be determined) in a vertical format, also canvas-wrapped in the same size. If I keep this up and do some other things I have in mind, I might be able to afford some better lenses sooner rather than later!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
If I keep this up and do some other things I have in mind, I might be able to afford some better lenses sooner rather than later!
I would look used primes. Some can be exceptional and relatively inexpensive. The major issue you might have is that Nikon's distance to focal plane is not friendly to non-Nikon mount lenses. That will be less of a problem with your Canon. A minor issue would be that used lenses will generally not have in-lens stabilization, so you would not have optical stabilization with those. But, Nikon itself should have a pretty good collection of used lenses.

BTW, I recently came across a used Tamron 90mm macro for Nikon in good condition for just $75 but did not get it since I couldn't find a glassless adapter for my Sony. That is one of the lenses under consideration for my macro lens, a big hole in my collection. Another option for me is Minolta 100mm/2.8 but haven't seen much below $450 for that one. Look for such deals, and you may not have to worry much about costs.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:29 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
No, the Canon D10 I have is a somewhat heavy DSLR but only 6 megapixels.
LOL I just realized you're talking about the 10D... which is indeed a DSLR.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,815,782 times
Congrats on your new baby,watch your wallet,your going to be wanting to add all kinds of goodies ,LOL

Old 09-26-2011, 01:32 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,657,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymontanny View Post
Congrats on your new baby,watch your wallet,your going to be wanting to add all kinds of goodies ,LOL
NAS is an insidious disease, with no known cure.

Nikon Acquisition Syndrome

Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,815,911 times
Today I took that canvas wrap I had done to Bible study with me and showed it to the women in my discussion group. One of them wants to buy one like it and two other of my photos on canvas for her dining room. I'm thinking that even though the photos I'm starting to sell now weren't taken with a DSLR, the purchase of the D5100 at this time was probably a very wise move on my part! I see lots of potential now that I've gotten my confidence level up a few more notches.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:03 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,633 times
Congrats PhotogGal!

I have the D5000 and have been very happy with it. Would be much happier if it had 16.2 megapixels like the D5100 though.

Like the D5000 the D5100 has no focus motor so you'll be manually focusing non "AF-S" lenses. Something to consider when shopping for more lenses.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:31 AM

Manual focus has suddenly become more appealing to me since I got my first DSLR (Sony A55). I feel a greater connection and engagement with photography. Although, some very quick focusing lens (like the Minolta 200mm/2.8 APO HS G that I have) discourage use of the AF to MF switch due to lack of play with the focus ring. There's also that "you decide your own fate" aspect of the old preset lenses too.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:44 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,513,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
NAS is an insidious disease, with no known cure.

Nikon Acquisition Syndrome
LOL!!! As is PAS, CAS, SAS, OAS and AOCAS

Pentax Acquisition Syndrome
Canon Acquisition Syndrome
Sony Acquisition Syndrome
Olympus Acquisition Syndrome
and
Any Other Camera Acquisition Syndrome
All otherwise known as PIGAS

Photography In General Acquisition Syndrome

Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
LOL!!! As is PAS, CAS, SAS, OAS and AOCAS

Pentax Acquisition Syndrome
Canon Acquisition Syndrome
Sony Acquisition Syndrome
Olympus Acquisition Syndrome
and
Any Other Camera Acquisition Syndrome
All otherwise known as PIGAS

Photography In General Acquisition Syndrome
Photography is GAS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography