Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:55 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times

Advertisements

I'm exploring this special field and thought that before I sink money into a macro lens, I'd like to read a book on macro photography. I don't want to be frustrated by the fact that I don't understand the functionalities of a macro lens (specifically a 100mm f/2.8). I'd like some recommendations on a beginner's book that addresses someone's beginner's need in macro photography, not necessarily in general photography. Some of the reviews I have read say that it assumes the reader is a beginner in photography, period. I'm not an expert, but think I'm beyond beginner, although not in this supposedly specialized field.

My other question, what is the difference (if any) between a macro lens and a macro telephoto lens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:16 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Nothing wrong with books, I have a whole shelf of photography books. However, if I were you, I'd first go on a macro-photography web forum and look at the shots and see what lenses people are shooting with there. You could even sign up and ask questions in their threads. I'm certain they'd be glad to help. Here's a good one. http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

That being said, you would LOVE the Canon 100mm F2.8 macro. It's razor sharp and makes a heck of a fine portrait and general telephoto lens as well. A macro-telephoto is just a macro lens at a longer focal length. 100mm probably qualifies as one. That focal length also gives you at least a 1:1 reproduction ratio which is what you want.

There's not a whole lot to macro photography otherwise. Tripods are pretty crucial. Also, with a 100mm lens at a close focus distance, you have a paper-thin depth of field. So don't be surprised to be using focal lengths in the range of F10 to F22 to get the results you want. Just go for it.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 PM

Why do I know that you'd be the first to reply, kdog! You know I luv ya! I'd take a look at the link you posted. Is it worth the IS on that 100m at almost twice the price for the L? I read that for macros, I have to turn off IS, so basically, I'm using the IS at the long end?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:33 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,642 times
I really like this one: John Shaw's closeups in nature - John Shaw - Google Books

He covers, in some detail, options that you can use in lieu of a dedicated macro lens (extension tubes, diopters, reversing lenses) and flash options to help with lighting (often a problem when shooting close up).

Like kdog said, the biggest issue with macro is depth-of-field. You will want a good tripod, and probably a focusing rail and a good dual-flash setup, depending on what you want to shoot. The dual-flash will let you (sometimes) shoot handheld and keep the aperture at a usable value. Focusing rails let you fine tune the focus when tripod mounted - usually the autofocus won't be adequate.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Why do I know that you'd be the first to reply, kdog! You know I luv ya! I'd take a look at the link you posted. Is it worth the IS on that 100m at almost twice the price for the L? I read that for macros, I have to turn off IS, so basically, I'm using the IS at the long end?
LOL, thanks!

Yeah, if you're using a tripod, then the IS doesn't help. Supposedly the new generation of IS will automatically detect your tripod and shut-down. But still it's best to turn it off and then there's no question. Optically, you won't be able to tell the difference between the two lenses. I find the build to be quite good on the non-IS version, and I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
LOL, thanks!

Yeah, if you're using a tripod, then the IS doesn't help. Supposedly the new generation of IS will automatically detect your tripod and shut-down. But still it's best to turn it off and then there's no question. Optically, you won't be able to tell the difference between the two lenses. I find the build to be quite good on the non-IS version, and I'm in no hurry to upgrade.
How important is it for me to have a tripod slider, before I get frustrated without one? And should I spring for a 4-way right away? They're really pricey!

Old 12-03-2011, 10:27 PM

I'd say use what ya got and take it from there. Then if you really get into it, then you can look into into focus rails and the like. I don't have anything like that, but then again I don't do all that much macro photography. What little I've done I make do and take a bunch of shots and usually manage to get a good one. If you really get into it, you can use a focus rail to move your focus plane throughout the image in multiple frames, and then use depth-of-field stacking in Photoshop to merge them together.

This was the most recent shot I took with it a week or two ago. A macro lens is great for this sort of thing and you can really see the optical clarity of this lens.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:28 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,642 times
Quote:
How important is it for me to have a tripod slider, before I get frustrated without one? And should I spring for a 4-way right away? They're really pricey!
The 4-way is really nice - it's very frustrating to have to reset your tripod and refocus if your framing is off by a half inch horizontally. And sometimes your subject won't wait

There are some less-spendy options for the 4-way rails - MFRS Adorama Budget Macro Focusing Rail Set with 4 Way, Fine Control, Camera Focusing Rail for Macro Photography.. I actually found one that looks just like Adorama's from a Chinese seller on ebay for $45 and it works pretty well.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:32 PM

Oh my, that is one cutie patootie hamster/guinea pig/gerbil! And Triumph, thanks for the tip on the rail! I would need that link on the less expensive version to archive just in case. Can you please provide?

Old 12-04-2011, 01:10 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
my two cents....
I only use my Kirk focus rail for indoor work...an really need to lots, lots of photo's to justify the cost!....
have a 60mm macro lens...kick myself for not waiting, saving more money an bought a 100mm + lens...would have used it more outdoors than I use the 60mm...to short of mm the closer you need to be to the subject an I find the 60mm I have to get to close for insects etc..
plus for indoor work the further away you can be the less shadow/lighting issue....
btw kdog...that photo make me want to get a cutie hamster...

if anyone has any suggestion for a crisp sharp macro Nikon lens would love to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography