Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times

Advertisements

That's why I worried about uploading pics on Facebook. Eeek! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:27 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I think it is very much Facebook's job to do exactly that. I provide them with the exact info they need to remove the photos and they should do so.
The other party is claiming that they have a right to post the photos, and you're claiming they're not. Maybe they licensed the photos from you. Maybe that watermark isn't really yours. Why should Facebook believe you instead of them? I can understand your frustration with the situation, but your anger is misguided. It's certain that Facebook's legal staff has made sure they're in compliance all copyright laws. Otherwise they could be shut down in a heartbeat.

Here's an analogy for you. Let's say somebody copied one of your photos and made it into a flyer. Then they hung that flyer on electric poles around town. Would you blame the power company? Of course not.

BTW, people repost my photos all the time with my watermark on it. I don't mind a bit. In fact I consider it free advertising. Why are you upset by it?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
He actually replied back saying that since I posted them on the web, he has the right to post them on my facebook. His response was something to the effect of "if you dont want other people using them, dont post them on the web.

Posting them on his facebook "group" and a yahoo group. Yahoo actually removed them without this bull****.

Yes, they are watermarked. Yes, I know I can sue him. It would cost me a ton of money, and I have the chances or recovering basically zero. I found the idiot works at Family Dollar.
Ok, then inform him he is breaking US Copyright law by posting your photos without your permission. If he does not remove them (or pay you for their use), you will sue him.

If it's a small enough amount to go to small claims court it doesn't cost much.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:14 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I'm really puzzled about this.

Why would you put your photos in a public domain and not expect them to be used/stolen?

Go to Google and type in a word, ANY word, and click "images" and you can usually get thousands of images, most of which you can copy and paste. Some have really bold watermarks across them, which alters the pic (esp a thumbnail) and some have some sort of barrier (I'm not sure how it is done) that doesn't allow a copy-and-paste. You might need to investigate how this is done (from someone who does webpages) to protect your work. My son's wedding photos were done this way; one had to purchase the rights to the photos shown on the photographer's webpage. This protected the photographer as well as my son and his wife.

Posting photos on the web or on your Facebook page is like hanging them outside on the wall of your house; without security, they can be stolen. If you want to protect your work, you should investigate ways to do so - the onus is on you.

The guy may "work at Family Dollar", but he obviously knows more about his online 'rights' and computers than you. You need to protect yourself, not expect domains to do it for you.
Sorry but your reasoning is just wrong. The OP did NOTHING wrong with posting their work on the Web. Just because something is easy to steal doesn't make it right for someone to steal it. If you left your garage door open, and someone walked in and took it, would you think, "Oh well, I put the stuff in my garage and that door is opened frequently. I should expect all of my stuff in there to be taken because of this."?

It is impossible to fully protect something on the Web from being stolen if someone is smart enough/determined enough to do so.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
It is impossible to fully protect something on the Web from being stolen if someone is smart enough/determined enough to do so.
Correct, there is no way to reliably protect an image that is being served over the web. There's some things you can do to slow people down if you have control of the HTML but these are basically tricks that are easily defeated. Ultimately if it can be seen it can be saved/copied.

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-25-2012 at 02:36 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 02:07 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
There is a sure cure for this, do not post photo's of anything, anywhere on the web that you don't want stolen.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:20 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Go to Google and type in a word, ANY word, and click "images" and you can usually get thousands of images, most of which you can copy and paste.
Just because you can "copy and paste" images that show up in a Google search, doesn't make it legal to post them on other sites.

Everyone should know the basics of copyright... If you don't, then it's time to read up!

Quote:
The guy may "work at Family Dollar", but he obviously knows more about his online 'rights' and computers than you.
I'm sorry, but that is just flat out incorrect. "The guy" is stealing, and based on his response to the OP's email, he knows nothing about copyright or who owns the rights to an image. But he better learn, because while the OP may not want to pursue it, the next photographer he steals from may go after him legally.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:24 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
There will come a time.......when the thief finds out who owns what and why......BUT....it isn't Facebooks place to police.....it's the Copyright holders place.....IF it were FB's responsibility then you could well believe that they would require a release of liability for each and EVERY picture posted.....

Old 01-25-2012, 03:46 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Absolutely dynimagelv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
The other party is claiming that they have a right to post the photos, and you're claiming they're not. Maybe they licensed the photos from you. Maybe that watermark isn't really yours. Why should Facebook believe you instead of them? I can understand your frustration with the situation, but your anger is misguided. It's certain that Facebook's legal staff has made sure they're in compliance all copyright laws. Otherwise they could be shut down in a heartbeat.
Well said.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:54 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
I'm really puzzled about this.

Why would you put your photos in a public domain and not expect them to be used/stolen?
Are you ****ing kidding me? What an idiotic statement.

Quote:
Go to Google and type in a word, ANY word, and click "images" and you can usually get thousands of images, most of which you can copy and paste. Some have really bold watermarks across them, which alters the pic (esp a thumbnail) and some have some sort of barrier (I'm not sure how it is done) that doesn't allow a copy-and-paste. You might need to investigate how this is done (from someone who does webpages) to protect your work.
Just because you CAN do something does not mean it is right, or legal.

Quote:
Posting photos on the web or on your Facebook page is like hanging them outside on the wall of your house; without security, they can be stolen. If you want to protect your work, you should investigate ways to do so - the onus is on you.
The onus is on me to protect them, and I have no issue with personal use, however when I find my photos stolen from my website (I DO NOT post stuff on facebook) and then posted on Facebook, I believe at that point, the onus is on FACEBOOK or whatever webpage/ISP/host to remove them.

Quote:
The guy may "work at Family Dollar", but he obviously knows more about his online 'rights' and computers than you. You need to protect yourself, not expect domains to do it for you.
Bull ****. The guy knows how to steal, and actually if you read the DMCA counter notice, it says right on it, UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY. So the guy is lying on a federal form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography