Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:16 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about this. I don't print my own photos except for club competitions. I have none hanging on my walls.

Do you display framed print versions of your photos on your walls at home? If so, what's on your walls? You know, what are they photos of (people, landscapes, wildlife, plants, etc.)? In which room in your home (where the most visitors would see them like a living/dining room or in an office/den/bedroom) are they?

If you are a former film user, did you tend to hang more prints then compared to when you went digital?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 08:25 AM

24,766 posts, read 28,507,453 times
I would like to get into printing my own...Just waiting for the price of the Epson Styles "Pro" 7700 to go on sale..

Old 11-13-2010, 09:33 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I would like to get into printing my own...Just waiting for the price of the Epson Styles "Pro" 7700 to go on sale..
Why wait for that? It's way cheaper to have your prints printed professionally than to print them yourself. Printing yourself is great for proofing, or grabbing a quick print. But the paper and ink costs for inkjet printers is way more money then sending them to a print lab. I use Bay Prints from Smugmug.

To the OP, I have a few shots of mine hanging in my home. I need to print many more, but I've been lazy. A friend of mine who I often shoot with but lives in another town has his home full of prints from places we've both shot together. My jaw almost dropped when I walked into his place recently. They look fantastic. I think in this electric age we forget all about prints. Kind of like losing the forest through the trees.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Yup. Print 'em and have 'em nicely framed...way better than some generic art. We do original artist painting/sculpture/etc or our photography...or fabrics from our travels around the world.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Yes, but I buy canvases since I hate the look of picture frames, they just look so tacky and old-fashioned. I love how the canvas looks, such a clean look without frames. I've gotten all of mine from Canvas People and have been very happy.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:11 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Yes my own photos are on my walls and i make my own photo frames and add stickers and odd objects like old keys and then I spray paint or hand paint the frames . I make the frames out of cardboard and glue them together . I also have some prints on my wall from like cards that I really like .

Old 11-13-2010, 10:48 AM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,800 times
I don't have any hanging at home. But I do print some and hang them in my cube at work. Mostly shots of sports and airshows with a landscape or two.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:18 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm curious about this. I don't print my own photos except for club competitions. I have none hanging on my walls.

Do you display framed print versions of your photos on your walls at home? If so, what's on your walls? You know, what are they photos of (people, landscapes, wildlife, plants, etc.)? In which room in your home (where the most visitors would see them like a living/dining room or in an office/den/bedroom) are they?

If you are a former film user, did you tend to hang more prints then compared to when you went digital?

Yes, I display framed print versions of photos taken by myself and my wife. They consist of a variety of different subjects. Our kids, landscapes, not much wildlife though. In our bedroom, our kitchen, my office, the media rm., and the kids rooms, garage and playroom.

I for sure hang more now after going digital. Film is awesome. However the time and costs were becoming prohibitive, and it's just much faster and cheaper now. However for family portraits, I still insist on using film. Call me old fashioned.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:44 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Yes, most of the wall hangings in our home and office are photographs or drawings I've done. They are old ones, however, some 40+ years old. I've only got a couple hanging that were digitally captured. About half are black and whites.

Most are wildlife or scenic but not all.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:20 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Why wait for that? It's way cheaper to have your prints printed professionally than to print them yourself. Printing yourself is great for proofing, or grabbing a quick print. But the paper and ink costs for inkjet printers is way more money then sending them to a print lab. I use Bay Prints from Smugmug.

To the OP, I have a few shots of mine hanging in my home. I need to print many more, but I've been lazy. A friend of mine who I often shoot with but lives in another town has his home full of prints from places we've both shot together. My jaw almost dropped when I walked into his place recently. They look fantastic. I think in this electric age we forget all about prints. Kind of like losing the forest through the trees.
I never started photography as a hobby until digital came along. I'm just used to sharing my photos online because most of my friends live in other states. I also have it in my head that all photos look best when they are backlit on a computer monitor. Not that printed photos look bad, just that backlit photos look better. I think maybe if I had picked up the hobby when "film" was it, I would think differently and want to print more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography