Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 05:36 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,254,644 times

Advertisements

I have a cheap poor Nikon coolpix and when daylight exist, pics are ok... But in the dark... Nothing even with a flashlight... Or maybe something... It takes some pics without flashlight but if I want to know what is on the picture I have to take it without and then it wait so long before making pic that it shakes and there I have much of ruined pics .

Please, do not blame me, blame the stupid camera .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:00 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,877,244 times
Well, depending on which camera you have, your low light performance can be anywhere from non-existent (what you've got) to not much better (in most cases when dealing with a point and shoot). So it's not surprising.

There are modes you can change on the camera which will help out somewhat but, when it's too dark it doesn't matter what you're shooting with, it's going to be tough to get good shots.

Many of us have thousands of dollars invested in gear and we still have to do a lot of things to be able to get shots when it's dark. We have to use expensive fast lenses, extra lighting or both. Tripods and long exposures also help when your subject isn't moving.

There are a lot of variables so it's tough to give you any specific advice.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,744,599 times
Low light is resulting in long shutter speed, which results in blurry shots largely due to the camera shutter being open for way too long. However, this should not be a problem when you're using flash. If you want to take a picture without flash, your only option is to use a tripod (and preferably self-timer).

Old 01-31-2012, 10:48 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,877,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Low light is resulting in long shutter speed, which results in blurry shots largely due to the camera shutter being open for way too long. However, this should not be a problem when you're using flash. If you want to take a picture without flash, your only option is to use a tripod (and preferably self-timer).
Pretty much spot-on. You're not going to get good high-ISO performance out of most (if not all) point and shoot cameras. Besides, if it's THAT dark, it won't matter.

The biggest problem with the flash on a point and shoot is how close it is to the lens. Not only do you get the red eye devil eye look but you also get flat lighting on faces. I also haven't a point and shoot which handles dealing with the flash output vs. the distance to the subject all that well. You are also quite limited in how close you must be to your subject.

When you add the fact that you can't adjust your other settings (e.g. shutter speed) on most point and shoot cameras (there are exceptions), you'll also have a tough time exposing any ambient light (if there is enough) properly to get a good flash photo. Personally, I almost never use a flash on a point and shoot. If I need more light, I usually just won't take the shot. I drive my wife crazy with this.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,254,644 times
Thanks . I usually use my film camera but this time I did not had any film left. I tried to take several pics with different settings but those all suck. I try to add pic(s) later.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:09 PM

9,854 posts, read 14,709,990 times
Well...

If your camera is stupid, then its safe to say that nothing is wrong with it.

Kidding. lol

Old 02-01-2012, 06:17 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,523,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
I have a cheap poor Nikon coolpix and when daylight exist, pics are ok... But in the dark... Nothing even with a flashlight... Or maybe something... It takes some pics without flashlight but if I want to know what is on the picture I have to take it without and then it wait so long before making pic that it shakes and there I have much of ruined pics .

Please, do not blame me, blame the stupid camera .
You may be asking the camera to do something beyond it's capability. I use a D40X and though it has up to 1600 ISO the noise level beyond 800 ISO refrains me from shooting in the dark.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:57 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,793,046 times
Depending upon how precious the moment is, the complete photographer will come equipped. This is an age where photography has been brought to the public,
as simple and easy as it can get. We carry cellphones which are highly resolute when compared to your old Kodak Brownie, you know the one that gave you a finished
print from film, with deckled edges and a 6 point type at the bottom telling you the year that the photo was taken, even the month!. As a child who watched my father
mix the hypo and the Dektol, ready the print dryer, work with a black-bag, as he wound 35mm film into the developing can, I often grieve the fact that his great love of
photography, never got to see what tools the photographer of today has, the lenses, the bodies, the microprocessors, the infinate range of adjustments that can now
be made, post editing or doing your setting manually, we are at the top of our game where it comes to capturing images. There's a difference between buying and using
a "point-and-shoot", snapshot camera and an optical tool, which when mastered, will give the operator a credible rendition of the intended shot. I guess that before you
set out to capture any night scenes, you might ask yourself, "how important are these photos". It's all, and will always be a matter of, "how important is it?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography