Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,511 times

Advertisements

I have many pictures on an external hard drive. I would like to make a sheet for each folder with small pics of the the pictures in that folder.
Does anyone know how to do this of if this is even an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 03:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
I have many pictures on an external hard drive. I would like to make a sheet for each folder with small pics of the the pictures in that folder.
Does anyone know how to do this of if this is even an option?
If you have established seperate folders for each clip of photos, and want to change the folder icon, you must select "properties" for that folder,
there you will be able to select a particular photo within that folder as the cover icon. There is a "change icon" toggle where you may select any one photo
and have that appear on the directory. I often use the date to let me know what the folder contains rather than rely upon my memory to guide me. Use the
"right-click" on your mouse, select "properties" and keep experimenting until you get the gist of changing the folder's view!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:29 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
Have you tried something like picasa or irfanview? I think they both allow you to assign tags to organize your photos. I'm using Windows Photo Album for Vista. Can't recommend it, but it's better than nothing.

Like LongIslandEddie I use dates. When I move the photos from the camera to disc I name the photo according to date and subject to make it easier for me to find what I'm looking for.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
You can make "thumbnail" pages of your pictures with ifranview which is free. I started to do that and also make HTML webpage thumb pages but got overwelmed. In any event, their page: IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

Rich

Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Every operating system in creation allows a thumbnail view of your photo folders with no additional software. Sounds like somebody just needs to learn to use their computer better.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
Hmmm. Reading my previous post I goofed. I don't rename my photos. I create a new folder and name it with the date and subject.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:46 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
What I do is to import the photos that I want to display from the computers to the TV in the living room and other areas into iPhoto (I use a Mac). But I never rename the photo. I just leave the original photos with their ID numbers alone, and save them to renamed folders or events in the external hard drives. Now I can see the copy of the photo in iPhoto, and if I want to look for the original photo in the hard drives I look for the image number in the proper folder or event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography