Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 08:56 AM

58 posts, read 135,298 times

Advertisements

Im trying to take pictures of merchandise and it needs to have a pure white background. No shadows, no shapes, it needs to look like its already been whited out in the background without actually having to erase around the edges of the merchandise. The color of the merchandise must be as close to the actual piece as possible. Please help!

Im using Nikon S8000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 08:59 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Build yourself a light box. There are DIY instructions out on the 'net.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Not sure how they do it cameras but with video you'd green screen.

You need one solid color for your background commonly green or blue, these colors would have RGB values of pure blue or green. The key is having enough lights so you don't have any shadows on the green or blue so the color is consistent. Once you take the picture in a image editor using the magic wand you can select the color for removal.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
You need seamless white paper for the background and you need to light the background evenly and brighter than your subject.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
I got a long piece of white paper from an art supply store (they cut it off of a roll), taped two corners to a wall, then draped the other end over a small table and place the item on the table. Then I put my camera on a tripod, set the shutter speed to be fairly slow (1/10 to 1 second or so), set the timer, and when they shutter goes off I manually flash an old Canon flash I have at the white paper, behind the item. It's not perfect but it works very well for only costing about 50 cents.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:58 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Then I put my camera on a tripod, set the shutter speed to be fairly slow (1/10 to 1 second or so), set the timer, and when they shutter goes off I manually flash an old Canon flash I have at the white paper, behind the item. It's not perfect but it works very well for only costing about 50 cents.
You could also get a slave trigger for under $10. Just screw the second flash into it, and then when your first flash goes off, the second flash will be automatically triggered. So much easier, and cheap!

Old 02-12-2012, 11:25 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
You could also get a slave trigger for under $10. Just screw the second flash into it, and then when your first flash goes off, the second flash will be automatically triggered. So much easier, and cheap!
Wow, I didn't know anything like this existed that was actually cheap. I don't normally use the on-camera flash though, but I could if I rigged up something to diffuse the light from it.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
Retail option (s) : AMAZON search found.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,027 times
A DIY light box would be perfect; I've made "lightboxes" in a pinch, out of plain white paper and a table lamp, and fixed the edges in photoshop.

It's really all dependent on how big the object is and how "real" you want it to look.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:16 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Wow, I didn't know anything like this existed that was actually cheap. I don't normally use the on-camera flash though, but I could if I rigged up something to diffuse the light from it.
It doesn't have to be on-camera flash - any strobe will trigger it!

But, if you want to use your regular flash, and get some directional light? And do it cheap? Get a cord so that you can get your main flash off the camera - even a short cord will make a BIG difference. Then get a second slave flash going, and you'll have a very cheap two-light system, that will give you directional light. Much better in most cases, than just straight on-camera flash!

I may own a couple of traditional lights, but I really like the idea of using whatever you have on hand. Why go buy more equipment, if you just want to experiment? Use what you have, and wait to buy, until you know what you really want! And, as an added bonus, if you figure out how to get the most of your little strobes, that can be very handy at events, or when you're out in the field, and you suddenly need some light. Experimenting with this stuff is smart! You never know when it might be helpful later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography