Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:41 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

I spent some time yesterday locating and bookmarking old resources that I have used in the past. The computer that was set up for all this got killed by a lightning strike. So here goes. I may think of more later and will include. These links provide food for thought as well as the usual "I can get it here stuff".

LexJet - Inkjet Media, Printers, Ink and More | LexJet.com A major supplier of both equipment and media that I have used. This is where my Epson 750 scanner and 9800 Pro Stylus printer was purchased. I made the contact originally at of all places here:

ISA International Sign Expo You haven't seen big until you visit the exhibition hall. They show off printers that you don't snap a cartrige into but rather walk into a closet and fill tanks. Only large format film can take advantage of a lot of the printers they show off.

Welcome to Epson Professional Imaging - Epson America, Inc. My Candy Store. Lots of info here as to what is available for the fine arts. I first read of the Epson Pigment ink printers being used to reproduce fine art painting at a NYC art gallery.

DTG HOME | EPSON Stylus Pro Printers | Giclee Supplies | Digital Capture Solutions | Color Management My first large format printer the Epson 7600 came from here. I use this resource for Fredricks portrait canvas as well as ink, etc.

SilverFast 8 - Scanner Software & Digital Imaging Software A version of siverfast came with the Epson 750 scanner. Just enough to make you want the complete package.

http://www.silverfast.com/PDF/phototech_062010_en.pdf More of a tutorial with explanations of the hows and whys. I disagree with a lot of what he is doing but after all he is in Europe. The explanation given here of the difference between the Epson 700 Pro Scanner and the 750 Pro is the main thing of interest to me at least.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=2035
Something good to have. It's on my bucket list of toys. I'll explain more of this tool later. I've had a demo and it was love at first site. So far I've shot from the hip. This toy will pay for itself in film savings.

Danny Burk Photography - Fine Art Print Sales, Panoramic Photography, Instructional Workshops, Photoshop Tutorial for Photographers, Drum Scanning Service, Stock Photography Licensing A wealth of info from someone who does large format and does it well. Offers a scanning service, workshops, etc.

Landscape Photography - Colorado Photography by John Fielder Another source showing fine art large format images. If you can hike and tolerate Llamas ( I assume he still uses them to pack equipment) it's an opportunity if he is still doing photo safaris.

ImagePrint Rip for Windows (Colorbyte) :: RIP Software :: Digital Technology Group Printer software. Not a must but highly recommended especially if you are going to make extra large prints. It does more but I'm not going to cover that yet.

Features | Adobe Photoshop CS5 I wouldn't be caught without it. I started with PhotoShop elements and once after using the real thing in a classroom I bought the real thing for my work.

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 - Professional Graphic Design Software This I never thought I'd use until. The until is part of the best for last.

Fujifilm USA | Products | Professional Photography | Film My favorite film. Charts for exposure are provided her online. There are not electronics or batteries to fail with large format. No auto exposure. You can learn to look at the ambient light and shoot. It works.

Fujifilm USA | Astia 100F Professional : Overview One of my favorite slide films to use for the extra fine grain. I'm going to be showing a slide along beside an image that is in one of my albums. It will have to wait until I have an extra pair of hands to enslave.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/Profilm_misc.pdf A comparison of slide films.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bi...AF3-149E_1.pdf Exposure information for Astia.

Corel Painter 12 (Windows/Mac) - Leading Digital Art Software More later on this product. It has opportunities. I took a beginner level workshop on it and loved what I saw.

Qimage Professional Quality Batch Photo Printing Software An inexpensive RIP package. The author explains some things here about RIP. A good site to thoroughly browse. This product has better than the usual interpolation in it.

http://www.zebracolor.com/index.html Another lab that I use. Take a look at the fine art services. At one time they did very large lightjet printing. I never had one made and prefer the Epson 9900 printer they use.

http://www.canhamcameras.com/index.html Large format cameras built in the USA. The metal 5x7 with the roll film adapter for taking panoramas on the cheap is on my wish list.

http://www.rustic-creations.com/ A good place to buy custom frames made from old barn wood for those who would like to frame for the rustic look. I've used this site for framing supplies. These frames are real barn wood not cheap import synthetic imitations.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ One of if not the biggest photo candy store in the world. They offer large format equipment and supplies. You can find them at the annual PMA show. I think it alternates between Las Vegas and Orlando, FL. I've attended the Orlando show at the Orange County Convention Center that is on International Drive.

http://www.pmai.org/pma_ces.aspx Interesting ready for image marketing. While digital is the main entree, there are a lot of exhibits for fine art printing that applies to large format prints from film.

Epson Australia - Exceed Your Vision OK here is a trade secret. What is on the horizon for the USA can at least sometimes be found here. Unless Epson has changed their MO they release new hardware down under before they do in the USA. The land of OZ gets to be the testers. I shall not reveal the guilty part who let this cat out of the bag.

There is a lot more information out there. This is just a drop in the old bucket. There are forums dedicated to large format. I will not link to them. If you are interested then Yahoo can find them for you. I'm just not comfortable linking to another forum as it might violate the CD TOS even though they are not competing with CD. There are some large format forums that get as heated as the CD POC threads... I just read and keep my mouth shut. I'm biased with my favorite tools based on technical reasons. I'm picky. I don't know how many times my maternal grandfather told me as a juvenile that if a job was worth doing it was worth doing right. There are jobs that only these large format view cameras can do right and there are jobs that only my 1D Mark II digital (or a newer better digital) can do. The dermatologist tracking his payment records from the surgery scars caused by the sins of my youth only needs a small point and shoot digital. The message here is that photography is not a one size fits all. I don't by any means want to portray that message in "Going Big". Just a heads up...Going Small is already in the works and it will be a totally different venue involving photography and the fine arts that I have done.

If I get those extra hands then another chapter may be posted tonight. Otherwise it may take a day or two to take all the actual equipment photos including a step by step series of from mounting the 4x5 on the tripod until it is time to snap the shutter. One thing I did not comment about is that the shutter is in the lens not the camera. There is only cable release and a tripod is a must. Now before I'm reminded of old style photo journalist 4x5 cameras that were hand held that is not the topic for this discussion. They are not currently made to my knowledge and not the tool for the photographic artist.

This is a lot to chew on for those who are following with some interest. Happy reading.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 03-06-2012 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Adding links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
As I understand this company makes 5x4 ~ 5x7 ~ ? 8x10 all kit form. The main site has a forum which I will not post do too conflict.. You can find it on your own.. Bull Dog Large Format Camera.

Building a Bulldog 5x4 large format camera - YouTube

Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Lookin forward to this one.....I have [currently] and 8x10 Eastman #2 [red leather bellows] and 8x10 kodak studio model on a cast iron studio stand, and a couple of 4x5's....there is NOTHING like shooting with an 8x10.....

Also look for the Zone VI workshop....nice book, well written, by Fred Picker [a total....je#$] but tells it simply.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
As I understand this company makes 5x4 ~ 5x7 ~ ? 8x10 all kit form. The main site has a forum which I will not post do too conflict.. You can find it on your own.. Bull Dog Large Format Camera.

Building a Bulldog 5x4 large format camera - YouTube
I've seen the ads before for the kit camera as well as a statement by an engineer who bought one and it was to the fact that he would never do it over and forewarned anyone without very good mechanical abilities of the troubles he had.... Just saying. Sometimes we can (yes we includes me) be penny wise and dollar foolish... I'll let Mr. Shen Hao put me one together... I'd rather be out shooting than trying to be a skilled assembler... The insert link provides a lot of info on the 4x5 that I own. It's the same as photographed and discussed by this photographer. He does a good job of adding to what has already been posted here. Rather than me try and re invent the wheel youtube below is a great visual already prepared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCd_q...eature=related

Last edited by Nomadicus; 03-06-2012 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Lookin forward to this one.....I have [currently] and 8x10 Eastman #2 [red leather bellows] and 8x10 kodak studio model on a cast iron studio stand, and a couple of 4x5's....there is NOTHING like shooting with an 8x10.....

Also look for the Zone VI workshop....nice book, well written, by Fred Picker [a total....je#$] but tells it simply.
That 8x10 studio model has a very good use that I'll eventually get around to. Sounds like a great book.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Someone's in mid-life crisis?
Anyway, before people get too enthusiastic, lets make clear a thing or two:

1) I don't think anyone's making 5x7 film today, unless ordered in large batches.
2) Who scans 5x7 and 8x10? You'll need to ship them to one of the few places remaining that still provide these services. Scanning LF is very expensive and time consuming. A good scan is not easy to come by, even at professional places. 8X10 may requite a drum scanner and the files are big...ah, huge.
3) Printing traditionally - an 8X10 enlarger may be taller than your ceilings and heavier than what your floors can support.
4) Printing paper - hit or miss. Some papers can be found today but not tomorrow. Supply is irregular.
5) A sturdy (heavy) tripod is essential. You can't work without one.
6) When hiking you need to schlep film frames. With 8x10 you are limited to 4-8 pieces.

Note: Some camera manufacturers make large format digital cameras. These take digital backs with 30-80 MP and are small and light. The cost however, is in the stratosphere.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post

1) I don't think anyone's making 5x7 film today, unless ordered in large batches.
2) Who scans 5x7 and 8x10? You'll need to ship them to one of the few places remaining that still provide these services. Scanning LF is very expensive and time consuming. A good scan is not easy to come by, even at professional places. 8X10 may requite a drum scanner and the files are big...ah, huge.
3) Printing traditionally - an 8X10 enlarger may be taller than your ceilings and heavier than what your floors can support.
4) Printing paper - hit or miss. Some papers can be found today but not tomorrow. Supply is irregular.
6) When hiking you need to schlep film frames. With 8x10 you are limited to 4-8 pieces.

Note: Some camera manufacturers make large format digital cameras. These take digital backs with 30-80 MP and are small and light. The cost however, is in the stratosphere.
Film is available in sheets in 10-20 sheet boxes. Today's good flat bed scanner will do as good of a job as an old drum scanner. Now for those digital backs. They have a place and that was to be on tomorrows post but I'll put up the link now.

Mid life crisis, Hardly. I'm way to old for one. Links to labs that are currently doing dip and dunk for up to 8x10 have been posted. Film is not dead if you have the time, the help and the attitude of the WWII SeeBees. Can Do.

Scanning backs for a 4x5

I've looked at these for several years now. They have a lot of potential for art reproduction using large format as well as capturing still images. No shutter is involved so they don't do moving objects well at all.

http://www.betterlight.com/downloads...Spec-Chart.pdf

My film source

8x10 film

More choices with 4x5 than any other. Negative film is still available also. Kodak is a loser for raising prices after filing for bankruptcy.

As for 8x10 file size... That's what Windows 7 64 bit is good for with the right scratch drives. Quad cores are cheap now but you need to understand how to do a final configuration of the drive system,1 and 2 you need to know how to scan in sections and splice in PhotoShop. Yes, Large Format is not for the faint at heart.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 03-06-2012 at 08:49 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 02:10 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Adding clarity requires accurate information and good perspective...

Nomadicus has certainly got my attention, and I am seriously researching the cost and potential for a project this summer. Lets go through your concerns and compare them to my particular circumstance, as well as comment on what might be a more general perspective.
Quote:
A quick check shows that 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 sheet film are all readily available in small packets. For example, Ilford FP4 and FP5 25 sheet packs are about $35 each in 4x5, $45 each in 5x7, and $95 each in 8x10.
Quote:
Why would anyone do that? For example, I already own an Epson V700 flatbed scanner that would work quite well! For anyone thinking of taking up large format, the cost of a new V700 or V750 scanner is just one of the (lesser) necessary major components.

Developing for color may or may not need to be outsourced. In my case it certainly would.

For BW, which is what I am interested in, basically all one needs are the tools and a kitchen sink. Tanks, hangers, and changing bags are readily available. So are chemicals. (Rodinal developer is still easy to come by! 500ml for $40.)
Quote:

Someone might want to do that, but some people like driving cars built in 1930 too.

For the those who just want to print large format, Epson makes great scanners and great printers too. I would think that a wide carriage printer is the biggest stumbling block for most who would consider getting into LF photography. I haven't fully explored that concept, but since a D800 image cropped to 4x5 aspect ratio would be 5274x4219 and would print, at 360 PPI, at 14."x11.7" it appears that with a 13" wide printer there is only a very slight advantage to using large format film.

In my case I have a 24" wide Epson 7890, so what I'm looking at is whether 8x10 has any value at all, or if a 4x5 would really be as much as the printer can handle anyway.

Here's what I'm thinking... A 24x30 image, the largest 4:5 aspect ratio image I can print, at 360 pixels per inch is a 8640x10800 image. To get that with a scanner requires at least 2160 DPI. If I scanned 4x5 negatives at 3200 DPI, the images would be 12800x16000 to start with, which would be about a 2:3 oversampling ratio when resized for printing.

I have to think about what that means! The 4x5 scanned image has to be downsized, so it gains SNR in the process as it loses high frequency detail, while a D800 image has to be upsized which means it will become noisier and doesn't have as much detail as the printer can produce (4219 pixels on the short side, as oppposed to more than twice that, 8640, required for a 24" wide print).

It doesn't appear to me that going larger than 4x5 film has any benefit if the printer can only manage an 8640 pixel width. A 40" printer (Epson 9000 series), which prints 15,840 pixel wide images can directly deal with a 4x5 negative scanned at almost 4000 DPI. Hence even at that size a scan could be done at 6400 DPI in order to oversample the negative. It takes a really large printer to exceed what 4x5 film can do and take advantage of 8x10!

Quote:
But that is pretty much true of any high end photography. I don't own anything larger than a DSLR... but I do have three different tripods that are absolutely sturdy enough to hold an 8x10 view camera! The most obvious one to use would be an old Majestic 2500 with a gearhead. I've been using Majestic gearheads for macro work for years, so the tripod requirements in my case do not require anything not already available.
Quote:
Why is that? Back in the old days anyone that "hiked" with an 8x10 generally also owned a donkey. I have two 4WD ATV's that serve the same purpose. (Super telephoto lenses for a DSLR weigh as much as an 8x10 camera, and packing them around has the same problems.)
Quote:
I'm not sure that such exist for LF, but they certainly do for MF. But I think the topic in this thread is LF film, not LF by any mechanism.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 AM

Default Chapter Four - Beyond Traditional Thinking

Folks yesterday the infamous 90 minute rule bounced me just as I tried to make the last edit. Well that worked out OK. But first I'd like to touch on a specific type of large format photography that is alive and well for those who paid their dues in study, time, and investments. Here are some more links that delve into that domain.

I found this link some years back and it is one that I will personally never use but I cannot foretell what you person out there might take it up at the university level.

Let's look into the business end of architectural/interiors. This photographer is one example of doing it with large format. He goes into detail in his article here. And here is another that is inspiring to me. This is a world wide profession not just something for us here in the USA. Some images can be found on this site taken with Schneider XL wide angle lenses that would be my choice for landscape work. Some choose not to taint there reputation trying to use instant gratification from the digital realm and do a photo shop fix of converging parallel lines with the likes of Photoshop. They know how to fix all that while looking at the image on the ground glass using their camera's movements. What I have not commented on is that when under that black cloth everything the photographer sees is upside down and flipped left to right. No mirrors to correct that unless you use an add on that is available for my 4x5 that I didn't buy. No promises but if an idea that I'm chewing on can be done I'll show that in images later. Take a look here on this camera manufacturer's site and there is a lot of information to be found on the menu pages.

For now I want to get into some non tradition means of printing from large format. As I stated earlier, I wanted to save the best for last. This may not and I hope not the last post but this fits in nicely here too.

Traditionally the word film conjures up the need for a dark room and chemicals and equipment that is no longer readily available new. Links for film development have already been posted. Links for software to scan as well as information on a relatively inexpensive scanner to digitize that film have been posted. But there is so much more beyond that in using those large format images now captured and edited with a properly configured computer. That means you may or may not need some help with the computer end but I don't think that should be addressed in this thread. Here are some links for printing big in ways that you don't buy the printer and one where a 13" printer prints the image as large as you have the pixels for. First here is a link to make some heads spin ( mine did at least ) with possibilities that new technology has brought into being. I'll probably never use this but I know of it. It takes a good image to get the max out of this. Then can you imagine the possibilities with color images from an 8x10 camera printed on one of these? I can and I know some quilters that would use them. If you want to use a service that owns the printer (most of us would need to be a lottery winner to buy one) they are available. I've lost my link to such a service that is located in the mid Atlantic region. Search engines have wearied me with so many sites pushing textile printing off as the small stuff... The last link is printing on fabric that is some 125" wide. That is certainly none traditional. I've seen a lot of debate on pixel requirements to do this and do that. But what I did see with my own eyes was my own work that I had to outsource to a sign shop that had a LF HP printer. The owner insisted that the file be prepped at only 150 dpi. That is not what I was accustomed to. The print was excellent. After that I bought an Epson 7600 as it was what I could afford at the time and it was the current model. People can discuss what it takes for a quality art print til the cows come home but seeing even what a Canon 10 6 MP camera can do on an Epson 24" printer is believing. I've made many full color canvas prints printed at 180 dpi. The largest final output print I've ever made was a 10' X 10' that was done using only a 13" printer and this is how. Using CorelDraw and processing the image into12" tiled sections and then using a heat press and sublimation ink those images were printed on the back of glass tiles that met safety requirements for foot traffic. If that can be done with the tools that I used I can think out of the box here as to what can be done with an 8x10 color image of say the desert south west or colored rock formations around Moab, UT or, let's just say any landscape worthy of viewing. Here is a link to a whole new world of output for commercial uses. This is just one source and it is from the UK to show that this is a world wide art. And it doesn't stop with ceramic tiles that have been kiln fired. Glass tiles can also be used now. The opportunities are seemingly endless as technology continues to expand. Back lighting behind glass tile prints makes for some serious Large Format opportunity while is not on every street corner and requires the right contacts in the right places and some savvy business skills it is a golden one to explore. To locate sources for what is out there and gain contacts for it is why this link was supplied earlier. If you seek the knowledge you can find it. For doing your own kiln fired printing, kilns, supplies, and converted 13" laser printers are readily available. The toner is special and can be ordered from at least one manufacturer over seas. I intentionally did not supply a link as I've not used them yet. Once I do and can validate the service/supply then I'll be willing to share. As for me, kiln fired printing is the best thing I can do. Dye sublimation heat press printing is not color fast like kiln firing. Permanence is a must for an artist.

In reference to film, this link shows Fugi still making even up to 11x14 in Provia. One small problem that is actually a big problem is getting it in the USA. For those who live in an area where it is available it is certainly a large format tool to consider. It takes a cooperative to get it into the USA and without knowing how it was handled by the carrier (think x-rays) I'd be most hesitant to lay out the investment here. 8x10 Astia and Velvia properly scanned can be used to make some very large "Gone Wildly Big" in your own backyard. There is so much more to large format that I have not even touched on. I did try and save the best for last.

Even a kid can make tiles...

A sample of ceramic website printing information

Ceramic print service

Now I want to address something for Floyd_Davidson. A 4x5 using a split dark slide converting it to a 2x5 makes for some awesome panoramas printed on a 24" printer. One more note on dimensions. Sizes are nominal and not exact measurements. A 4x5 piece of film is closer to 3.6x4.6 in reality. There is also a roll film back for taking panorama photographs that uses 6x17 sized images on 120 roll film. Lenses that can be used taking such wide images on a mere 4x5 camera are limited. The great thing is that the important wide angle lens is one that works. Traditionally this format is somewhere in between medium and large format but in this case large format equipment is used and at a cost far less than that of buying a system that only shoots 6x17 and is much more costly. No links for those as they are not the intent of this thread. For large format panoramas you can use a split dark slide on an 8x10 making it a 4x10 box. The result is two images on one sheet of film. There are large format 4x10 cameras but at this time I know of no manufacturer that makes that size film. You have to cut 8x10 in half your self or find some one who is setup to do it. There is always someone who has the tools and is willing to make another dollar providing a service to others and film cutting is one of them that can be found on other forums. I have seen them. As for me I'll just use the split dark slide and not handle the film any more than needed. 4x10 scans and an Epson 9900 is a nice compatible marriage of technologies.

I hope that I have by this point generate more questions than I have answered. Questions is how we all learn. I think I'm done for today. Unless I think of something (my head has a mind of its own) before the 90 minute rule catches me. I'm off for breakfast now but I leave you with this, A day in an exhibition hall at a trade show can gain you more knowledge than a lot of semester long college courses and it sure beats a non photographic day at work unless work is out shooting your choice of formats.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 03-07-2012 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Adding YouTube Link for kiln fired tiles.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:44 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
A quick check shows that 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 sheet film are all readily available in small packets. For example, Ilford FP4 and FP5 25 sheet packs are about $35 each in 4x5, $45 each in 5x7, and $95 each in 8x10.
From experience, 5x7 in small packs are mostly unavailable. Its also important what emulsions you use.
Quote:

Why would anyone do that? For example, I already own an Epson V700 flatbed scanner that would work quite well! For anyone thinking of taking up large format, the cost of a new V700 or V750 scanner is just one of the (lesser) necessary major components.
These flatbed Epson scanners aren't designed to take negatives above 4x5. And they are not true film scanners. Film scanners differ from paper scanners. Check the differences with smaller formats.
Quote:

For BW, which is what I am interested in, basically all one needs are the tools and a kitchen sink. Tanks, hangers, and changing bags are readily available. So are chemicals. (Rodinal developer is still easy to come by! 500ml for $40.)
If you limit yourself to contact printing, you are correct. Enlargements on the other hand, are a different story. (See above)
Quote:

For the those who just want to print large format, Epson makes great scanners and great printers too. I would think that a wide carriage printer is the biggest stumbling block for most who would consider getting into LF photography. I haven't fully explored that concept, but since a D800 image cropped to 4x5 aspect ratio would be 5274x4219 and would print, at 360 PPI, at 14."x11.7" it appears that with a 13" wide printer there is only a very slight advantage to using large format film.
I am not sure I understand. Epson makes the V700 series scanners, which are defined as "all purpose" (unlike dedicated film scanners) and which with special care may allow scanning 4x5 negatives. There is nothing available (except on the second hand market) that takes 5x7 or 8x10 film and if there is, prices and bulk are astronomical. (i.e Cezanne)
Quote:

In my case I have a 24" wide Epson 7890, so what I'm looking at is whether 8x10 has any value at all, or if a 4x5 would really be as much as the printer can handle anyway.

Here's what I'm thinking... A 24x30 image, the largest 4:5 aspect ratio image I can print, at 360 pixels per inch is a 8640x10800 image. To get that with a scanner requires at least 2160 DPI. If I scanned 4x5 negatives at 3200 DPI, the images would be 12800x16000 to start with, which would be about a 2:3 oversampling ratio when resized for printing.

I have to think about what that means! The 4x5 scanned image has to be downsized, so it gains SNR in the process as it loses high frequency detail, while a D800 image has to be upsized which means it will become noisier and doesn't have as much detail as the printer can produce (4219 pixels on the short side, as oppposed to more than twice that, 8640, required for a 24" wide print).

It doesn't appear to me that going larger than 4x5 film has any benefit if the printer can only manage an 8640 pixel width. A 40" printer (Epson 9000 series), which prints 15,840 pixel wide images can directly deal with a 4x5 negative scanned at almost 4000 DPI. Hence even at that size a scan could be done at 6400 DPI in order to oversample the negative. It takes a really large printer to exceed what 4x5 film can do and take advantage of 8x10!
That is correct and that's one point that I made in my answer. The 8x10 format can be contact printed or outsourced for scanning with matching prices.
Quote:
But that is pretty much true of any high end photography.
Not really. In the past there was a lot of merchandise on the market, including papers, scanners, and enlargers. Companies competed. The only advantage today is that you can buy a used Sinar (for example) at a fraction of the original price. However, these studio beasts are hardly suitable for field work.
Quote:

I don't own anything larger than a DSLR... but I do have three different tripods that are absolutely sturdy enough to hold an 8x10 view camera! The most obvious one to use would be an old Majestic 2500 with a gearhead. I've been using Majestic gearheads for macro work for years, so the tripod requirements in my case do not require anything not already available.
Why is that? Back in the old days anyone that "hiked" with an 8x10 generally also owned a donkey. I have two 4WD ATV's that serve the same purpose. (Super telephoto lenses for a DSLR weigh as much as an 8x10 camera, and packing them around has the same problems.)
I'm not sure that such exist for LF, but they certainly do for MF. But I think the topic in this thread is LF film, not LF by any mechanism.
Again, you are correct about the bulk of huge DSLR telephoto lenses, but than you are not limited in the number of shots you can take as in the case of a LF camera.

Summary - yes, it can still be done, if you insist. But remember - scanning and digital printing are extremely expensive (color cartridges, high quality paper). Using a DSLR is friendlier but again, if you consider Medium Format Digital, its an arm and a leg...

Last edited by oberon_1; 03-07-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography