Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,735,156 times

Advertisements

A couple of Provia shots:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,808,567 times
Where do you guys go for film processing -- somewhere locally, or do you send it away to one of the national labs I often see ads for in the photography magazines? Just curious. I have a Canon EOS III that I used just a handful of times. Might be worth getting out and playing with now and then.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM

106,581 posts, read 108,739,314 times
i do it locally but its brutal. it cost me around 40 bucks for developing and high res scans for 1 roll.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Where do you guys go for film processing -- somewhere locally, or do you send it away to one of the national labs I often see ads for in the photography magazines? Just curious. I have a Canon EOS III that I used just a handful of times. Might be worth getting out and playing with now and then.
One when I mail it in: E-Six Lab - professional E6 film processing and developing for over 30 years

If I had deliver and wait for C-41 or E-6, not sure that they still do sheet film processing for B&W now: Zebra Color - About Us

Never used but I know an internationally famous photographer who uses this lab for B&W film: Printmakers of Fine Art True B&W Photographs & Giclee Prints From Negatives Or Digital Files

Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM

I use a local lab for developing and scanning, though I actually haven't shot film in a couple of months (or more). Developing and scanning a roll of 36 exposures is around $7 there.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
One when I mail it in: E-Six Lab - professional E6 film processing and developing for over 30 years

If I had deliver and wait for C-41 or E-6, not sure that they still do sheet film processing for B&W now: Zebra Color - About Us

Never used but I know an internationally famous photographer who uses this lab for B&W film: Printmakers of Fine Art True B&W Photographs & Giclee Prints From Negatives Or Digital Files
Nomad you give such good information.......Great help for everyone..

Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
A couple of Provia shots:

Provia is so very real and alive...the color is bright and gorgeous.
So very nice Lamplight...

Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I use a local lab for developing and scanning, though I actually haven't shot film in a couple of months (or more). Developing and scanning a roll of 36 exposures is around $7 there.
The biggest problem I've encountered with local scanning is that it's a clerk doing it a lot of the time instead of a photo tech. That and some give low res scans and won't even consider a high res because it takes longer. I finally bought my own film scanner for that very reason. A few years back while taking a college digital photo class we could shoot film and have it scanned and the prof made the arrangements for us to get hi res scans. Getting a local scan to render as our eyes see it is questionable in my thinking. I used to think that film and processing was high but doing the math you pay for film and processing up front with the price a high quality digital. Our digitals will wear out. The shutter will stop working one day. I've got an idea for a way to test if I'm getting what my eyes are seeing. I have a 13" printer that can run from a car outlet. I can shoot and test settings on the digital on the spot. This thread has made me think. Thanks Summering.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Provia is so very real and alive...the color is bright and gorgeous.
So very nice Lamplight...
There is a Pro photographer here in FL that will hop a flight to Bora Bora just to shoot sunsets and Provia is his film of choice. Time of day is perfect for it. I've seen his work hanging before my eyes and it makes me a little green with envy. He cuts 8x10 sheets in half and shoots 4x10 panoramas.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The biggest problem I've encountered with local scanning is that it's a clerk doing it a lot of the time instead of a photo tech. That and some give low res scans and won't even consider a high res because it takes longer. I finally bought my own film scanner for that very reason. A few years back while taking a college digital photo class we could shoot film and have it scanned and the prof made the arrangements for us to get hi res scans. Getting a local scan to render as our eyes see it is questionable in my thinking. I used to think that film and processing was high but doing the math you pay for film and processing up front with the price a high quality digital. Our digitals will wear out. The shutter will stop working one day. I've got an idea for a way to test if I'm getting what my eyes are seeing. I have a 13" printer that can run from a car outlet. I can shoot and test settings on the digital on the spot. This thread has made me think. Thanks Summering.
My local lab has four employees. One handles all things Photoshop, one does the actual darkroom stuff, another mostly handles sales, and one does the color developing (via machine) and the slide and negative scanning. As far as I know the scanner they use is nothing special, and the scanned images are roughly 3000 pixels wide. But like I said, the scans always look sort of pale; washed out. Sometimes it's worse than others. When I first started having negatives scanned there I didn't notice. I just assumed the look was due to the film. But when I got prints, they looked MUCH better, so once I realized that I started adjusting the levels of my scanned negatives and slides so they'd have more contrast like the prints. I actually posted a lot of film shots on this board before I started adjusting them.

Note: I may have upped the contrast a little too much on this one, but it definitely shows the difference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography