Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 08:21 AM

160 posts, read 1,161,755 times

Advertisements

I am going to try to explain something weird that has happened and hope someone can figure this out!

I have a Canon 60D and I have never had trouble downloading images unto any of my pc computers. Recently I loaded pics unto my ipad using a converter and the card directly into the ipad with no problems. But then when I went to load them on my computer they wouldn't open. I tired putting the card directly into my computer, and by the camera with cord. Most of the files will not open My windows photo gallery says it does not support the file and I need to update. I tried another computer, same thing. I tried emailing a photo from my ipad and opening on a computer, no deal. I posted a pic on FB using the ipad, and then I was able to copy paste on my computer, tho the image had changed to jpeg and was compressed to a smaller image. Then I looked at the image properties, and I discovered that some images were JPEGs and some were CR2. The CR2 images will not open or are not supported by photo gallery. Why? (And I had to search to find our what a CR2 file was-----) I use a variety of settings on my camera, but don't think I have ever messed with file formats. What happened? How can I fix it/open these files?
I did download google picasa and they will open in that program. And now that has also manipulated my photo gallery, but still does not show the image. I have to open the tile to see what the picture is.
Did something happen when I used the plug in thing to put the card directly into the ipad?
Is there some way to convert the CR2s to JPEGs?

Sorry if this is long---I hope I explained my problem. I am confused as to why this happened. And of course these are recent vacation pics!!!

THANKS for any help or insight to what I did!!??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 10:30 AM

371 posts, read 443,220 times
CR2 is Canon's RAW format, this will generally produce a much higher quality image than you get from JPG.

The advantage to JPG is that the camera "processes" the image at the time you shoot it (adding contrast and color adjustments), and it's a format that can be directly uploaded to flickr, Facebook, etc.

The advantage of RAW (CR2) is that the file contains much more information, but this must be processed outside of the camera using software like Photoshop or Lightroom. Canon cameras are shipped with a software that will also allow you to make basic adjustments and save as JPG or TIFF format.

I suggest using the Canon software (Canon Digital Photo Professional) to convert your CR2 files into JPG. You can find some info about this software on the Canon website: Canon DLC: Video Detail: DPP Tour

Old 07-28-2012, 10:33 AM

But why did my camera do that? I am sure I didn't change any RAW settings between pictures. Like I said, one would load as a jpeg, the next one a CR2. Just wondering.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 AM

371 posts, read 443,220 times
Do the JPG and the CR2 have the same image number? Maybe you accidentally set it to shoot RAW+JPG?

Honestly, I've never heard of a camera malfunctioning in this way, so I'm going to blame the operator.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:52 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4me View Post
But why did my camera do that? I am sure I didn't change any RAW settings between pictures. Like I said, one would load as a jpeg, the next one a CR2. Just wondering.
More than likely you set your 60D to take RAW and JPEG images at the same time. Look at the settings.

Other than that, the best image is attained by shooting RAW. This image is much like a negative of the photo, from which you can make numerous JPEG versions of the same image. But if you don't want to shoot RAW, then set the camera to take only JPEG photos.

As 13JERM mentioned, download the latest version of the Canon software for your camera, and use PPP to convert your photos from RAW to JPEG.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:15 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,460 times
I have a Canon Powershot model SX10IS and It seem to always change settings on it own !! I know it most likely isn't doing that, I think I push buttons by not being careful picking up the camera. We also just bought a Nikon D5100 that is set to shoot a raw with a jpg at the same time. The card holds two pics for each shot.
I don't like jpg (jpeg) for printing so we convert the raw to a PNG format to send to the printer as a jpg degrades the image quality to a much greater degree than so called "non lossey" formats. A so called "raw" image needs a player of some type to display it as viewable or it will look like a frame full of computer code language such as javascript.
I could be wrong as I'm a bit new to digital photography but that's the way I understand all this stuff.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the help and suggestions. No, 13JERM there were not doubles, just some pics were jpegs and most were crs. I did figure out how to convert the files. Maybe there was an easier way but I had to do them one by one and it took hours of converting and editing. ERG. Still not sure what happened. I have shot in RAW before and had no problems.

Thanks again all for your help!

Old 07-30-2012, 03:59 PM

41 posts, read 100,053 times
If you are curious the iPad displays them because apple products will natively display raw files. (cr2 is simply what canon names their raw files. Nikon uses another name.) Windows does not display them, but there is a windows utility you can download to view them outside of what your using.

If you are shooting and happen to notice the camera says you have far fewer pictures remaining than you usually do, it's a safe bet you have switched it to raw or raw+jpeg.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,460 times
Default Raw ?

We always thought that what is called a raw is a NEF and I think that is a Nikon Term for a raw image file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography