Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:19 AM

154 posts, read 420,052 times

Advertisements

I have about 500 old slides that I would love to be able to put on a DVD or whatever. Can this be done? If so where in the world would I take them to have this done? I don't want Walmart, etc. I think I would need somebody that specializes in this kind of thing.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 10:16 AM

24,772 posts, read 28,414,461 times
You can do it or have it done on line..
Comparing Methods to Transfer Slides to Digital

Old 08-04-2012, 01:52 PM

414 posts, read 1,090,618 times
Some photographers or photo restoration services will have good, professional slide scanning capabilities. The problem might be finding one who would be willing to scan so many. Just gotta watch for ones that are using a modified flatbed scanner or something, since those get lower quality results (like the link in the #2 post shows). And as TN Tin Man mentioned, there are also quite a few online services of varying quality.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:17 PM

20,261 posts, read 36,979,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
I have about 500 old slides that I would love to be able to put on a DVD or whatever. Can this be done? If so where in the world would I take them to have this done? I don't want Walmart, etc. I think I would need somebody that specializes in this kind of thing.
Thank you.
Easily done with a scanner and the right software. While a dedicated slide scanner is best, some flatbed scanners do an excellent job scanning slides. However, you must practice quite a lot to learn how to use the software to attain the right scans. But once you know what you are doing the rest is easy.

I have an "Epson Perfection V700 PHOTO" flatbed scanner that allows me to scan several slides at once. But instead of using the scanner software, I purchased VueScan and use this software.

However, buying a scanner and better software is more expensive than having a local lab doing the work for you. The main difference between you and somebody else doing the work is that you can do it at your own leisure, but the latter is more expensive in the long run.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:24 PM

24,772 posts, read 28,414,461 times
Not knowing your budget.You may want to look into a scanner. Scan your slides directly into your computer,I would spend the extra and look for one that has ICE.

http://files.support.epson.com/htmld...ug/featr_3.htm

Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Not knowing your budget.You may want to look into a scanner. Scan your slides directly into your computer,I would spend the extra and look for one that has ICE.

Digital ICE Technology and Digital ICE Lite Technology
Most new scanners include ICE technology, even SilverLining. But the software that comes with it is not always the best. Well, some very expensive scanners include some of the best software, but not all.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,858,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Most new scanners include ICE technology,
If you're going to scan them yourself this is important. ICE and similar technologies do two scans, one is in infrared that can detect physical imperfections on the surface of the image/slide/negative like dust, fingerprints, scratches etc. These are then isolated and can automatically be removed with software. There is no guesswork here, if it's physical imperfection it doesn't belong there.

You can do this with software but it's no replacement for the hardware because the software doesn't know the difference between dust in the air or dust on the image surface. That's just one example, fine textures and details can be lost with software.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you're going to scan them yourself this is important. ICE and similar technologies do two scans, one is in infrared that can detect physical imperfections on the surface of the image/slide/negative like dust, fingerprints, scratches etc. These are then isolated and can automatically be removed with software. There is no guesswork here, if it's physical imperfection it doesn't belong there.

You can do this with software but it's no replacement for the hardware because the software doesn't know the difference between dust in the air or dust on the image surface. That's just one example, fine textures and details can be lost with software.
You are correct. That's why most new scanners include ICE technology. The Epson V700 series does. But software such as ViewScan includes a lot of features that are easy to control, taking full advantage of ICE.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,638,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
Thank you.
As already posted, you can either do it yourself with a good scanner (with the correct slide holder- this will be the more difficulty part, to actually have that), or take it to a local photo lab.

My studio/lab does slides all the time, and to be perfectly honest (though don't tell my clients this) it is rather easy if you know what you're doing. However, and this is a big however, you will probably need to do touch-ups in Photoshop after having had them scanned. This is where it'd be a good idea to have it done by proffessionals.

And you are correct - don't do Walmart. They may do things cheap, but the results are also just that - cheap.

I don't know where you live or what your budget is, but count on up to about 1 dollar/slide at a lab. But then you also get to actually SEE what the picture is off.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,398,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You are correct. That's why most new scanners include ICE technology. The Epson V700 series does. But software such as ViewScan includes a lot of features that are easy to control, taking full advantage of ICE.
This is exactly what I do. I've been using Vuescan for over a decade now with four different scanners. I scan in a couple of hundred slides a week with no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography