Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 01:12 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times

Advertisements

I finally bought a Rebel XS for a good price after buying a "bridge" camera and..
Thinking that was a waste.starting to learn how to take pictures using manual mode.
Today at the Zoo,a few times the camera clicked and said busy and wouldnt take the pic.
What causes this to happen?Im also curious there isnt a way to "break" the camera..
While messing with settings and trying to figure things out?probably sounds silly.
Anyways im enjoying some of the shots i get and look foward to getting a telephoto lens..
In the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 01:22 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I finally bought a Rebel XS for a good price after buying a "bridge" camera and..
Thinking that was a waste.starting to learn how to take pictures using manual mode.
Today at the Zoo,a few times the camera clicked and said busy and wouldnt take the pic.
What causes this to happen?
If you were shooting rapidly, especially in continuous drive, it will need time to process and save the images after shooting them at some point. While doing so, you have to wait and let it finish before shooting again. Basically, it can't handle processing more than (x) amount of pictures at the same time. You can help speed up this process by using fast memory cards but it will still be at the mercy of your cameras ability. Higher end cameras will process faster.

Quote:
Im also curious there isnt a way to "break" the camera..
While messing with settings and trying to figure things out?probably sounds silly.
No, unless the product is faulty, playing with the settings won't damage the camera. You can, however, change a setting you don't know anything about which may compromise your shooting if it's a poor setting for the circumstances. But you'll just have to figure out how to change it back.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:12 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
Thanks for the info.I just have the kit lens are they as terrible as people say?

Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 PM

606 posts, read 903,657 times
If your coming from a point in shoot camera, my personal feeling is the lens kit is just fine. Before spending money on other lens, I think it's best to spend a lot of time getting to know your camera. All the settings on mine were overwhelming at first and I had no idea what to do with any of them.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:31 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Thanks for the info.I just have the kit lens are they as terrible as people say?
No, kit lenses are not horrible and you can take good photos with them. But, as your skills improve and you get more into photography, at some point you will want to upgrade to a better lens. In my case, that process took around a year but I still use my 'kit' telephoto.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
The kit lens is suitable as a starter lens. Assuming you got the 18-55mm kit lens, you may soon want to get a telephoto as well (not as a replacement) but that may depend on what you're shooting. And like Jaggy said, as you improve, you will eventually want to replace the kit lens but it will do for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography