U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 PM

248 posts, read 1,414,185 times

Advertisements

Hello all, im a newby in photo editing and was looking for the right software for what i enjoy doing. I usually create banners for people using vista print and at times need a good software that will help with fuzzy pics (low pixels) and also to remove the blocks behind a selected from say google images.

Of course id prefer a free software if its out there but if not i dont mind paying for one that would help with what i need it to do.

To go into further details about the fuzzy pics, when i save say a image from google images, its nice and clear but when i upload it onto vista print banner editor, its comes out fuzzy especially when you start to enlarge it. I do have a free image converter i use but seems like it doesnt help when converting from say 800 pixels to 2000 pixels as it still remains fuzzy.

Any additional help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,746,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzstyle00 View Post
Hello all, im a newby in photo editing and was looking for the right software for what i enjoy doing. I usually create banners for people using vista print and at times need a good software that will help with fuzzy pics (low pixels) and also to remove the blocks behind a selected from say google images.
Quote:
Of course id prefer a free software if its out there but if not i dont mind paying for one that would help with what i need it to do.

To go into further details about the fuzzy pics, when i save say a image from google images, its nice and clear but when i upload it onto vista print banner editor, its comes out fuzzy especially when you start to enlarge it. I do have a free image converter i use but seems like it doesnt help when converting from say 800 pixels to 2000 pixels as it still remains fuzzy.

Any additional help on this would be greatly appreciated.

First of all you are STEALING content from Google (with of course the help of Google, Facebook and the likes who strip the contact information OFF images otherwise known as metadata). I posted a thread on that and I think you should read it. The images you are STEALING of Google have been created by a person that has spent time, gas and money to create that image, and just because you don't see contact information attached to that image, that does not give you the right to take it. This is what you're stealing:
Orphan works in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Second, why are you doing this? you say it is for vista print banners...banners are large prints on various materials from paper to vinyl, unless they are gif's for website advertising.

Third: NO PROGRAM free or not will increase pixel resolution to where you will get a good print.
In order to print anything you have to have a resolution of 240 to 300dpi or higher for billboards. IN order to HAVE that resolution you need to posses the RAW/Original file or a file that was photographed at the largest size in camera. If a camera is set to the smallest size, you will not get a good print. In order to achieve this you can hire a photographer and photograph whatever it is that you need to print on a banner, or PAY for a subscription to a STOCK site where you have the option to download HIGH RESOLUTION images. NOTHING off Google images will ever print well on anything.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:30 AM

248 posts, read 1,414,185 times
Wow didnt really know images from google would be considered stealing. Thanks for letting me know.
In that case, would you know a good software package that would include images such as birthdays, graduations, baby showers etc...that i can use to create anything from posters to banners? Also what cost range are these softwares?
At this time im doing it as a hobby but thinking of doing it as a part gig and see where it will take me from there.
So once i find the right software, id search for a print wholesaler that would be able to provide me with good rates for profibility. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,746,695 times
Quote:
Wow didnt really know images from google would be considered stealing. Thanks for letting me know.
In that case, would you know a good software package that would include images such as birthdays, graduations, baby showers etc...that i can use to create anything from posters to banners? Also what cost range are these softwares?
At this time im doing it as a hobby but thinking of doing it as a part gig and see where it will take me from there.
So once i find the right software, id search for a print wholesaler that would be able to provide me with good rates for profibility. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Yes it is unfortunately. Then we pro's eventually find out, and sue you in Federal court for copyright infringements if you don't stop it and pay damages. Not a fun thing to do.

You can get Corel software, or Paint Shop Pro, both have presets. But your problem is resolution, you have to remember to start each file at 300dpi if you want to print a nice quality banner.

Photoshop has presets too, but you have to be the "creative" one and customize each one based on the look you want. With the other ones, the presets are done so you can just drag and drop. These range from $59 to $299. Depending on complicated you want to get. If you are a windows user I highly recommenced Paint Shop Pro. It has stamps you can use to decorate photos and all, plus effects, and layers and all sorts of cool things in it. Its a great value IMO. If you're a mac user use Corel software like paint, draw etc. all have presets. http://www.corel.com/corel/

The printing part itself is easy...there area ton of printers out there that can print good quality stuff. Your biggest problem is the files you are sending to them.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 PM

40,865 posts, read 42,278,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
First of all you are STEALING content from Google
Google doesn't own those images, the original author does. As far as Google using them in their image search they only have thumbnails, the original image resides on the server they spidered. If the site owner doesn't want them to appear in Google search it's a couple of lines in the robots.txt file which has directives for what content can be indexed.

Quote:
User-agent: Googlebot-Image
Disallow: /
Done deal, no images in Google search.

Quote:
Third: NO PROGRAM free or not will increase pixel resolution to where you will get a good print.
Using something like Genuine fractals can have very good results. It won't increase the detail of the image, nothing can do that. Instead it looks for contrasting details in the image, the edges of those details are kept nice and crisp as oppsed to the soft look common to something like bicubic.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:02 PM

40,865 posts, read 42,278,559 times
Quote:
Photoimpact has a very large library of images, objects, textures etc. It's free trial dowload and only cost $30, don't let the price fool you. It's a very good editor. The trial does not have the full content of extras like images, that's a separate download once you purchase.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:26 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,282,746 times
Since it is just a hobby there are free alternatives. GIMP is a free photoshop-like program. Just like OpenOffice is a free alternative to Microsoft Office. Inkscape is a free Illustrator alternative. MorgueFile is a website that offers totally free, large images for commercial use. I often got there if I'm doing a pro bono job for charity.

Now these programs are fine for a hobbyist. But you will need professional programs if you want to go pro. Not only do you need to be able to edit banners clients send you, trade printers may sometimes request your native files if there is a printing issue. And they only accept certain formats. But that's is for you to figure out in your business plan later on. But it is good to have the info for the future.

Good luck.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,046 times
hey, what system are you using, win or mac? Either operating system can you try the photo editing software PhotoStudio.

If has both versions for win as image editing software and mac photo editor

Old 06-02-2013, 01:07 PM

26,119 posts, read 42,870,648 times
Quote:
Best photo-editing tool for me?
Hard to say but you could use GIMP "GNU Image Manipulation Program". It is free, it is well documented and it has a lot of features: GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-03-2013 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography