Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 01:58 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,594,842 times

Advertisements

This article refers to those photographers who want to use music on their websites.

I personally hate it. I am always looking for the stop button because I have my own music playing and the choices sometimes really suck.
No One Likes Being Infringed Upon. Let's Protect Our Fellow Artists. - PPA Today
I completely disagree with that first statement, mainly because we don't all like the same music, and because in most cases the music is a slow song that makes me want to sleep.
Quote:
Music can set the mood for your photography business, whether it's setting the mood for a client's slideshow or setting the tone on your website. Musicians, much like photographers, only make a living doing what they love... if or when they receive the proper credit.
HOWEVER, if you must use a certain song for your photography website, you should consider the proper steps to take to avoid a cease or deceit letter from the recording company. (and also not have it start from the beginning with each page of your site. That is even more annoying for a viewer).

Quote:
If you are like many photographers and want to combine copyrighted music with your images, you must obtain two different types of copyright licenses. Yes, two. First, you'll need a "master use" license which can be granted by the record label for use of the actual recording. Then, you'll need a "synchronization license" from the songwriter or music publisher to cover the use of the music in conjunction with images. (Sounds complicated, right? But don't worry; it's much easier than you might think, just read on!)
Of course all members PPA, ASMP, APA, etc already know this as it is part of our jobs, and IF we ask others to give us credit for our photos, we too, have to give credit to those that create music or websites for us as photographers. This article explains what steps need to be taken in order for us, photographers, to get proper permission to use various songs. I think it is pretty important to remember that considering that pretty much every single wedding photographer has music on their website, and also a lot of photographers do create slideshows for their clients with music on them.
(Also some times the client brings us the songs they want, and we are the ones who have to make sure we have permission to use those songs because these folks have no idea what kind of trouble we can get into for not getting proper permission to use their songs). As photographers the last thing we need is to be sued by some recording company because we used someones song from the 60's on a 10 photo slideshow without permission!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,188,744 times
I HATE music on websites. It quickly drives me away from them. I fail to see any reason to include it.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I HATE music on websites. It quickly drives me away from them. I fail to see any reason to include it.
I'd have to agree, any audio on a web site should be user initiated.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:11 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,594,842 times
I don't know why is this perpetuated though...someone spends 20 seconds browsing "any" site when looking for photographers and this coupled with those stupid flash intros just destroy it for me. I hit back faster than I would if these two were't obstructing my viewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography