Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 04:00 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,020,263 times

Advertisements

I was out enjoying my hobby, taking shots of different things. One guy and a gal walked up to me and started asking basic questions about cameras and photography. Another walks up and he has a camera as well.

Immediately he(the guy with the camera) starts trying to "one up" me as if his knowledge and "gear" is superior to anything I have to say and use. I ignored the guy as if he were not standing there. He just kept going on and on.

After I answered the questions of the first 2 people, I looked at him and said "have a good day".

This guy was a total snob. I know a lot of people in the jazz community that are like that.

Does it really matter who the smartest guy is? I enjoy my hobby and that's all that matters. I have no problems admitting that I am not the expert but I sure as hell don't try to "one up" people even on subjects in which I know my knowledge is more in depth than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 05:55 PM

44,382 posts, read 20,102,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I was out enjoying my hobby, taking shots of different things. One guy and a gal walked up to me and started asking basic questions about cameras and photography. Another walks up and he has a camera as well.

Immediately he(the guy with the camera) starts trying to "one up" me as if his knowledge and "gear" is superior to anything I have to say and use. I ignored the guy as if he were not standing there. He just kept going on and on.

After I answered the questions of the first 2 people, I looked at him and said "have a good day".

This guy was a total snob. I know a lot of people in the jazz community that are like that.

Does it really matter who the smartest guy is? I enjoy my hobby and that's all that matters. I have no problems admitting that I am not the expert but I sure as hell don't try to "one up" people even on subjects in which I know my knowledge is more in depth than others.
I've run across that, too, Rocco. Once in a while someone comes along who is a total snob about it. I enjoy learning new things and getting tips from more knowledgeable photographers, but when it comes with a better-than-you attitude, I can do without it!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:12 PM

106,899 posts, read 109,156,575 times
marilyn and i must be lucky as the people we run into in the field have really been nice.

we just joined our first club too. the new york botanical and zoological society in the bronx.

we met some club members last weekend at the gardens and enjoyed their company so much we joined ourselves.

we are looking forward to spending field time with some of them as we need to spend time with people way better than us so we can elevate our skills up to the next level..

Old 06-15-2013, 06:26 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,570,560 times
Wine snobs are the worst, followed by Soccer fans.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,074,974 times
I think I would actually have to know what I'm doing to even pretend to be one.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:02 AM

106,899 posts, read 109,156,575 times
nah , it is all about spinning the illusion you are better.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:07 AM

18,543 posts, read 18,801,311 times
I couldnt care less about fancy expensive lenses and having the best camera... its what you see when you take a photo that counts not what gadgets you have to impress others... hate snobs of any sort. I know a woman who travels around with a big backpack with three cameras and bits and pieces in it... its laughable as to be honest her stuff isnt very good at all so its all show..

Old 06-16-2013, 10:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,332,956 times
When I run across these types I show 'em a few of my more well received shots. After the snob says something nice about them I reveal that they were taken with a pocket point n' shoot. That shuts 'em up.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:38 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
I have met a lot of people in my life. Fortunately I remember all the good ones. Sorry, not an issue with me worth discussing.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:31 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,259,937 times
I can't recall running into anyone like the OP did, but I've run into a couple "pros" (their description) who offered me some really weird advise -- like the "pro" who said, back in the days of film, that he only used 1600 iso film because "it's just as good as Velvia." Really? I also remember he was also using an off-brand 35mm with a short zoom to shoot waterfowl. Hmmmmm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography