Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 09:12 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times

Advertisements

I searched the forum, and didn't see this question. Forgive me if it's already been asked.

I have an old tripod that has served me well. However, I'm interested in one with more features, and am looking for recommendations. Here are the main features I'm looking for:
  • Ability to flatten for shots close to the ground
  • Not too heavy
  • Panhead is ok, but might like the option of using a ballhead instead
  • Of course, not too expensive! Something around $150 or less maybe.

Is it possible to find one with that's not outrageously expensive? I'd love some input.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 AM

133 posts, read 750,582 times
Thom Hogan wrote an article about buying tripods. I don't know if it's appropriate to post here as I've had other site links deleted so I'll just suggest you search for it.

One personal experience example of why I would buy a different tripod- We bought a Bogen tripod. Midrange, relatively cheap. I replaced the head with a Acratech ballhead. Love it, but probably more than you'd need. The only thing I don't like about the tripod is the lever action of the leg supports. I would rather have a the twist type.

While shooting a wedding in a church, I was adjusting the tripod during the ceremony. While securing the legs, the levers let out a fairly loud "CLACK" every time I closed them.... embarrassing.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:17 AM

515 posts, read 1,832,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I searched the forum, and didn't see this question. Forgive me if it's already been asked.

I have an old tripod that has served me well. However, I'm interested in one with more features, and am looking for recommendations. Here are the main features I'm looking for:
  • Ability to flatten for shots close to the ground
  • Not too heavy
  • Panhead is ok, but might like the option of using a ballhead instead
  • Of course, not too expensive! Something around $150 or less maybe.

Is it possible to find one with that's not outrageously expensive? I'd love some input.

Thanks!

Check out B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders I buy all my photo equip from them, great prices and they have a lot of helpful reviews.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:58 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Thanks! I'm actually very familiar with them, and have shopped with them before. I was hoping to get some CD testimonials, to narrow down the list.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:10 AM

515 posts, read 1,832,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Thanks! I'm actually very familiar with them, and have shopped with them before. I was hoping to get some CD testimonials, to narrow down the list.
I use Manfrotto. I have a tripod and monopod, and I'm really happy with them. I bought my tripod on e-bay, saved about $150 compared to retail value. The monopod I got at a local Photography store in town, I think it was about $50

Its very nice equipment, very well built. Havent had one issure with either one of them. Hope this helps some.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:54 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,527 times
I use a Manfrotto 3021pro with 488RC2 head. It does what you want (and more) but does run over your price point. The thing about tripods is you'll spend more if you buy cheap. Most people I know and have talked to who buy cheap have a number of $50 specials sitting in their closets and they're once again in the market for a tripod. If you spend a reasonable amount of money up front then that tripod and head really can be the last one you ever own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography