Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 03:06 AM

457 posts, read 978,647 times

Advertisements

I created a fantastic memorial slideshow in Powerpoint. I'm happy the way it turn out. I just found
out the viewing room needs this slideshow to be on a DVD. I looked at Microsoft DVD maker,
but I can not change the background themes. I want to use my photos as a background.
I downloaded some free DVD makers but they require me to use their stock background. Can
somebody give me ideas to a free software or work with my Powerpoint file? I would think
photographers use slideshow programs so I didn't post in the computer forum. I'm only doing this
for a memorial service on Tuesday. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
I'm going to assume they only have a DVD player, compatibility and quality becomes problematic without starting from scratch and authoring a disc. I don't know of anything that will convert Powerpoint however Powerpoint has an option to output as WMV which may be burned directly to disc. The problem here is whether or not the DVD player accepts data discs with files, whether it supports WMV and last but not least what the limits on resolution and other parameters it accepts. Be sure to test it if you can get access to the DVD player.

For compatibility you need to author a disc and for that you need disc authoring software. *DVD video* has specific file structure and formats and that's the only way to guarantee compatibility on most machines. The following programs have trial versions but may stamp a logo on the output without paying for them.

You can try importing the WMV from Powerpoint into something like Movie Factory but due to conversions may have quality issues. I believe Movie Factory has it's own component for a slideshow but you'd have to start from scratch.

The program often used for this is Pro Show Gold which is specifically designed for slideshows but again it's not free.

One other program that I've seen recommended and is free is DVD Slideshow GUI however there may be a learning curve here.

DVD slideshow GUI 0.9.5.4 - VideoHelp Downloads

Use this link for downloading it.

http://www.videohelp.com/download/DVDsGUI0954.exe

One last thing to add, there may be compatibility issues with the physical disc itself, +R and -R. Test if you can on the DVD player and be sure to use a +R as that has the most compatibility. What I'm saying is it may play fine on your DVD player but not on their DVD player. This is not an issue with the data on the disc but the disc itself and if the DVD layer is incompatible with that type disc it will never work.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. I only use -R. I was told the slideshow needs to be on a DVD. That's it. I'm calling the funeral home to confirm if it needs to be in a DVD format or a data file on a DVD. In other words, not on a flash drive or ext hard drive. Starting from scratch will not be a major issue because I already have the slideshow put together. My problem with a few free programs is the user is not able to upload their own background. I'm trying to prevent having my photos slide in front of a solid color background. I want to use my scenery photos.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:39 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
I'm calling the funeral home to confirm if it needs to be in a DVD format or a data file on a DVD.
They may not even know what you are talking about and any of those features outside of an authored DVD are not standardized. You have three things for it to play when burned as data. Firstly being able to play a video file burned as a data DVD is an extra feature but most DVD players support it. Secondly what formats does it support? WMV, DIVX? Lastly what parameters such as resolution and bitrate does it support for that format. Just because it supports WMV doesn't mean it will play any WMV file you throw at it...

You avoid all those issues if you author a DVD. As far as the -R goes it may work fine especially if it's a newer DVD player. I'm just pointing out it may work fine in your DVD player but fail elsewhere. The same thing applies to +R but they are less prone to this issue.

If you ask them the model of the DVD player you can look it up here, note this list used to be maintained very well and you'll have more success with older models. Not so much with newer models.

DVD Player and Blu-ray Player Compatibility List - VideoHelp

Old 03-21-2014, 06:46 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
I created a fantastic memorial slideshow in Powerpoint. I'm happy the way it turn out. I just found
out the viewing room needs this slideshow to be on a DVD. I looked at Microsoft DVD maker,
but I can not change the background themes. I want to use my photos as a background.
I downloaded some free DVD makers but they require me to use their stock background. Can
somebody give me ideas to a free software or work with my Powerpoint file? I would think
photographers use slideshow programs so I didn't post in the computer forum. I'm only doing this
for a memorial service on Tuesday. Thanks
Is it that it should be a video file? If so, what version of powerpoint are you using?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:52 PM

Powerpoint 2010 ... File --> Save & Send --> Create a Video
Computer & Internet Displays = Internet & DVD

Select duration for each slide
--> Create Video

Old 03-21-2014, 07:13 PM

Yes, so I can play in a home DVD player which may not read data files. I have powerpoint 2003. I also have access to 2007. My nephew may have 2010.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, so I can play in a home DVD player which may not read data files. I have powerpoint 2003. I also have access to 2007. My nephew may have 2010.
If you end up with a file that is not suitable, there's also the possibility of using Adobe Premiere. You can download a free 30 day trial and then export as an avi or quicktime, but that means figuring out the software ... maybe your nephew might is familiar with it ... but, on the other hand ...

Powerpoint 2010 also has an option to save&send in the format of "package for CD". This includes the powerpoint viewer to view the presentation. That might be the best option for ensuring that it is compatible. It's worth a try ... then try it in a few different machines to see if it plays properly.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 PM

So powerpoint has create internet and DVD? Package for CD copied the file to a CD but not a DVD.
My 2 DVD players do not recognize CDs. The one player did play the audio on the CD. Do we know
2010 will burn powerpoint to DVD? Anyway, I'm playing with a DVD slideshow GUI that may solve the
problem. I can change the background to my photo, but so far one background gets applied to all
the photos. I'll see what happens. Worse case scenario, it will have one background as long as it
plays in the player as a DVD. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 PM

Powerpoint 2010 has the option to "save & send". Choose "create a video".

There's a drop down menu in the righthand panel. Change that to "Internet & DVD". You can then set the length for the slides beneath that. Then click on "Create Video".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography