Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 05:58 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,636,943 times

Advertisements

This is a somewhat technical question for a novice...we have a cannon i860, and I bought ink cartridges in a hurry and grabbed a cartridge labeled "photo". It was Cyan, and the photos just would not print with correct color. They all came out reddish/pinkish, and I couldn't correct the color though I tried to increase the amount of blue in them. Then I discovered the cartridge and replaced it with a regular and they print true color.

Now, for the questio: What is it about the "photo" cartridge that makes it not work. I should think it would work even *better* than regular ink. Anyone out there know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 04:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,532,273 times
It might be that the printer recognized it as an oddball and simply didn't use it when printing.

Perhaps if all carts were "photo" it would print correctly.

Not finding any "photo" carts on their site. Unless I missed them...

http://tinyurl.com/3x8nn4 (broken link)

Old 01-01-2008, 02:06 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,163,266 times
Photo Cyan is regular ink but it's part of the 6 and 8 tank ink systems not the 5 tank system used in your printer. The six tank system uses Black, Yellow, Cyan, Photo Cyan, Magenta, and Photo Magenta. The eight tank system uses all of those and adds Red and Green. Your printer wasn't designed to mix the light photo colors with other colors properly to get the results you expect. Unfortunately, there's nothing on the tank to tell the printer you've placed the wrong tank in the slot. You can put whatever color you like in whatever slot you like and the printer will happily print away thinking its achieved the correct color.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,955,819 times
I had a Canon I950 printer, it went through too much ink which I didn't like and it costs a bundle to get all cartridges. I went and got a HP photo smart, only two cartridges, better prints, too.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:51 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,438,603 times
Epson with Durabrite ink is the absolute best quality photo printing I've seen.

Make sure that you set your printer to print photo, and select the type of paper you're printing on. This helps a lot with the quality on any printer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography