Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,306,510 times

Advertisements

Steve, your pictures are incredible. Care to share the EXIF data on the first dragonfly?

Do you have any tips on how to get them to stay still long enough to shoot, or are you just that fast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 12:39 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,488,768 times
Wow Steve, awsome shots, I need to get busy with my camera, this is a busy summer for me, I am taking care of 10 yards currently including my own. My camera is a Sony F828 8 mega pixel , it is the only camera with a 4 color ccd image chip ( red/green/blue and emerald ) . I have a mac and use I-photo for my pictures.

Martin

Old 08-29-2007, 01:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
SHOW OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, Steve-O, those are awesome, man.
haha

Thanks. Your photos are stunning as well, no joke! I like your border selection too, they work well with the subject. Id like a program where I could choose different borders.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Steve, your pictures are incredible. Care to share the EXIF data on the first dragonfly?

Do you have any tips on how to get them to stay still long enough to shoot, or are you just that fast?
Thanks! I dont have the EXIF data on me at the moment, I uploaded them from my Photobucket page. I can get them later once I get home if youd like.

As for shooting dragonflies, the key is to find an area thats heavily populated with them, find a secluded spot next to some plants they enjoy sitting on, get your camera set up and wait. haha Really, its not fun, but in the end you should get something that youre happy with. The dragonfly in the first pic just happened to be sitting still as could be, and yes, he was alive. It was the biggest one Ive ever seen too, about 4-5" long. He allowed me to get up close and personal with my camera on macro. I took about 20 shots of it, that first one was my fave. There was times where Id get 2-3" from it, and it never so much as moved a wing. I thought it was dead for awhile too, but I touched it with a stick and it quickly flew away.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Wow Steve, awsome shots, I need to get busy with my camera, this is a busy summer for me, I am taking care of 10 yards currently including my own. My camera is a Sony F828 8 mega pixel , it is the only camera with a 4 color ccd image chip ( red/green/blue and emerald ) . I have a mac and use I-photo for my pictures.

Martin
Im not familiar with that camera, but at 8MP it sounds pretty decent. Mine is only 4MP, but itll work for now until I can get my Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thanks! I dont have the EXIF data on me at the moment, I uploaded them from my Photobucket page. I can get them later once I get home if youd like.

As for shooting dragonflies, the key is to find an area thats heavily populated with them, find a secluded spot next to some plants they enjoy sitting on, get your camera set up and wait. haha Really, its not fun, but in the end you should get something that youre happy with. The dragonfly in the first pic just happened to be sitting still as could be, and yes, he was alive. It was the biggest one Ive ever seen too, about 4-5" long. He allowed me to get up close and personal with my camera on macro. I took about 20 shots of it, that first one was my fave. There was times where Id get 2-3" from it, and it never so much as moved a wing. I thought it was dead for awhile too, but I touched it with a stick and it quickly flew away.

Hey Steve, one other question.

As a rookie, I'm kinda guessing that's taken you quite some time to accumulate all those shots. So I don't get discouraged trying to get those kinds of shots all in one day, about how long a time span would you say those shots cover?

Just curious...

Old 08-29-2007, 02:00 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
Okay, make that two questions....

Were all your subjects alive? (black widow et al)

Old 08-29-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Okay, make that two questions....

Were all your subjects alive? (black widow et al)
Yep, that was my "pet" at the time. I shot her against a simple white piece of construction paper and used simple bright lighting and adjusted the exposure a bit to drop out any texture on the paper.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:15 PM
JTC

34 posts, read 148,552 times
HELL...to the NO. Those tarantula pics made me shiver! LOL..i had a friend who had a tarantula as a pet..once i was over at their house and they noticed their tarantula wasnt in the glass thingy you keep it in (dont remember what those are called) and didnt know where it was. but as soon as i heard him say that, i was out the door!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:59 PM

822 posts, read 2,399,179 times
Here is my Dragonfly picture, it isn't as good of quality as the rest in this thread, I am still learning to use my new Nikon D80. this was taken with a 70-300 mm zoom at 300mm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography