Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,215,518 times

Advertisements

The tech stuff confuses me, what is "pan" (in basic details)? how does it work? When should it be used? What condidtions are best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 10:16 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,172,679 times
Good reading, and simple to understand

Mastering Panning - Photographing Moving Subjects

Old 08-30-2008, 09:23 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,901,739 times
If I may add to this, I've been reading a book and on the chapter on Panning, the author suggests taking a shot where the background has some detail to it so that it shows when it blurs. One example of a background that is NOT good for panning is plain good ole sky...can't blur sky very much. So to get good results, get a "textured" background. Something else the author was suggesting was to NOT use a tripod when panning as it becomes limiting...to him anyway. Well, I'm gonna practice without one then and check my comfort level on that one.

I guess if I stood in a busy intersection, I coud get lots of practice. Think people would leave me alone if I had a big Sponge Bob costume on and a "Free Carwash" plackard on my neck?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
If I may add to this, I've been reading a book and on the chapter on Panning, the author suggests taking a shot where the background has some detail to it so that it shows when it blurs. One example of a background that is NOT good for panning is plain good ole sky...can't blur sky very much. So to get good results, get a "textured" background. Something else the author was suggesting was to NOT use a tripod when panning as it becomes limiting...to him anyway. Well, I'm gonna practice without one then and check my comfort level on that one.

I guess if I stood in a busy intersection, I coud get lots of practice. Think people would leave me alone if I had a big Sponge Bob costume on and a "Free Carwash" plackard on my neck?
I don't think so. No No No. Oh no. Got a go. I think my kitty just started having kittens in the computer desk. No panning here.

OK time to edit. I'd suggest to put on military fatigues and strap on your M16. That way the cars would speed up and let you have a better chance of panning and getting that nice blur in the background. These are some pretty good meds I'm on at the moment if ya can't tell.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 08-30-2008 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-30-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
These are some pretty good meds I'm on at the moment if ya can't tell.
I can tell you are on your happy pills, Nomad! And so early in the morning too! Well, I'm happy for you...you're happy, I'm happy!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. What does it mean if the subject is "blurred" while the background isn't? It happens to me all of the time, if not the entire picture blurry. Even if daylight, should flash be used? or not? or is my cam just not good for panning?

Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Thanks for the advice. What does it mean if the subject is "blurred" while the background isn't? It happens to me all of the time, if not the entire picture blurry. Even if daylight, should flash be used? or not? or is my cam just not good for panning?
Not sure what it means in your camera if the subject is blurred and the background isn't. In mine, it means my hand shook as I panned. Use of flash depends as it's got something to do with exposure. If your camera has a shutter priority option and you have the ability to choose speed, start with something like 1/30. Your aperture setting will automatically follow the speed you select for the most part if lighting conditions are optimal. If it doesn't have this option, then see if you have something like "Action" or "Sport" setting and see if that would work. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Not sure what it means in your camera if the subject is blurred and the background isn't. In mine, it means my hand shook as I panned. Use of flash depends as it's got something to do with exposure. If your camera has a shutter priority option and you have the ability to choose speed, start with something like 1/30. Your aperture setting will automatically follow the speed you select for the most part if lighting conditions are optimal. If it doesn't have this option, then see if you have something like "Action" or "Sport" setting and see if that would work. Good luck!
Thanks. I do have an action option, but the zoom doesn't work well in that setting. I can't adjust the shutter on my own.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:34 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
Great question and helpful answers. Thanks!

Quote:
I'll give you a dollar if you do it and show us a pic.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:43 PM

2,408 posts, read 2,433,614 times
Family on motorcycle on highway near Jaipur, India by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography