Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 03:50 AM

283 posts, read 729,010 times

Advertisements

I have about a couple hundred photos I want to scan. I've tried to scan some of them with my own scanner, but the process is just too time consuming. Sometimes I have to re-scan a photo 2 or 3 times because I'll see dust in the scan and I have to try to wipe it off. It would be nice to find a service that can scan my photos as well as making sure there's no dust on the scans.

I found one review of 5 scanning services and it said ScanCafe has the best image quality. Then I found ScanCafe on Yelp and there are a lot of people who were not satisfied with their quality. Anyone have any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
I found one review of 5 scanning services and it said ScanCafe has the best image quality. Then I found ScanCafe on Yelp and there are a lot of people who were not satisfied with their quality. Anyone have any recommendations?
I have mixed feelings about Yelp...

I have no real experiences except a few scans of photos I made at home and work. I considered ScanCafe in spite of the few bad reviews. If you search the internet enough you will find complaints about everything, even the Cardiologist which saved my life 15 years ago.

Some of the real photo related web sites might help. I would read over:
Outsource your photo scanning projects | Macworld
The best and worst services for digitizing your photos | TechHive
The Best Photo and Video Digitizing Services - Techlicious
Preserve all your precious images (the right way) | PCWorld

Old 01-12-2014, 08:55 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,563 times
That organization was recently mentioned -- check Joe's post on this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/photo...l#post32979468

Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
That organization was recently mentioned -- check Joe's post on this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/photo...l#post32979468
The original poster is asking about having photographs scanned which is slightly different than scanning slides, transparencies or negatives etc. Some companies do both.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:44 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
I would not trust ScanCafe with any more of my photos, slides, prints or printing digital files. If they can't do slides right, which is a service they tout, I would not trust them to do anything else right either. Sorry ican't be more help with who to go to though.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,867 times
Auto Crop Photo Scanning Software AutoSplitter picture scanning software can be downloaded and installed.
Use your flatbed scanner to scan a few photos at once. Make sure there is at least a half-inch spacing between them. More than a few images will fit.
AutoSplitter's Scan button allows you to select a scanner and DPI (scanning resolution). You have the option to make changes at a later time.

If necessary, you can use your mouse to fine-tune the AutoSplitter's detection of individual photographs, straighten them, and then highlight them. It is known as a "split" when a photo is detected.

You can save all of your scanned photographs by clicking the Save All button.

Taking additional photos is as simple as repeating step #2.

Here's how you can scan a large number of images using this photo scanning programme. In each scan run, the software will automatically crop scanned images, allowing you to scan several images in a single pass. If you're scanning a lot of images, this is the way to go. AutoSplitter offers a variety of ways to scan your old photos if you already have them scanned or if you want to improve the precision of the auto-crop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography