U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:47 AM

224,028 posts, read 83,788,479 times

Advertisements

It's about time for some new fire power. 15.1 megapixels. Read about it here:
Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera

More here:

Canon EOS 50D Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by Nomadicus; 08-26-2008 at 12:12 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 12:05 PM

5,978 posts, read 18,709,703 times
Impressive! How much?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Impressive! How much?
If Canons pricing pattern holds I'm guessing around $1500 suggested and less on the street. We will know for sure in October. This body is almost as fast as my 1D Mark II and a whole lot lighter. Weather sealed with 90 consecutive shots will make it fair game for me especially with the dust bunny removal system. With the right lens I an splice 4 images into a 24x60 panorama. That excites me just a little. No I should be truthful and say a lot. Needless to say I know what I'm getting for an early Christmas, birthday, anniversary, etc.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:45 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,295,802 times
Where does the line start? I figured I didn't wait in line for the iPhone, but I'll wait for the 50D. I need a new backup! B&H is selling it for $1599. I think it's still 1.6 focal conversion, though.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Where does the line start? I figured I didn't wait in line for the iPhone, but I'll wait for the 50D. I need a new backup! B&H is selling it for $1599. I think it's still 1.6 focal conversion, though.
It's still a 1.6 conversion. What I really want now is one of these and whatever replaces the 5D. Rumor was hanging around at last weekends trade show of a 5D Mark II. With the 50D is coming in at 15.1 MP then one would hope for a full frame to come in at 17+ MP. Seems like that would still allow a feature barrier between the 5D and the 1Ds Mark III. All is just speculation at the moment but maybe just maybe we will get a full frame self cleaning sensor soon in the mid price range. There was a box in the Canon cabinet at the show that had a sign on it that it would be opened today. I wasn't there but had hopes it would be a new 5D but they sure fooled me for the moment.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 31,991,813 times
Ok, duh, I had posted about this already (LOL), and with a link to sample photos from the Canon site: //www.city-data.com/forum/photo...announced.html

To answer part of another - I think the theory is that the 5D replacement will have a modified/updated version of the sensor that was in the 1Ds Mark II model, which would make it 16.7 megapixels if that's the case.

The only thing that surprised me was no announcement for a Powershot G10. The G9 has been out a while, and rumor was that Canon was going to put in one of the new small CMOS chips they've developed into the next "G" model, which would lower noise and give higher iso abilities to a smaller model. They may still be holding back on a few announcements until the show, though.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Ok, duh, I had posted about this already (LOL), and with a link to sample photos from the Canon site: //www.city-data.com/forum/photo...announced.html

To answer part of another - I think the theory is that the 5D replacement will have a modified/updated version of the sensor that was in the 1Ds Mark II model, which would make it 16.7 megapixels if that's the case.

The only thing that surprised me was no announcement for a Powershot G10. The G9 has been out a while, and rumor was that Canon was going to put in one of the new small CMOS chips they've developed into the next "G" model, which would lower noise and give higher iso abilities to a smaller model. They may still be holding back on a few announcements until the show, though.
I didn't mean to walk on your post but didn't see it until an hour after I had done it too. It would also seem that the 5D replacement will have the new digic 4 image processing for a faster al servo mode.

I can certainly see the market for a G10 without the noise. That is one for the wife if it does emerge.

Now have you got a theory on a new 25 MP 1Ds Mark IV? Maybe next year if Nikon pushes the issue with similar as rumored?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,869,732 times
I've only been using dslr's for a few months now, so I'm still a novice. But everything I've read states that too high of ISO makes the pictures grainy. So what will be the use for ISO 12800?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I've only been using dslr's for a few months now, so I'm still a novice. But everything I've read states that too high of ISO makes the pictures grainy. So what will be the use for ISO 12800?
There are times such as night sports in an arena that even a grainy shot is better than no shot at all. I had to learn to use ISO 3200 shooting rodeo at night. Dealing with it in Photoshop I salvaged a lot of $'s other wise would have went down the drain. It's sort of the lesser of the evils. A kid on a bucking bull that just one a lot of money didn't see the grain as a bad thing.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 31,991,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post

I can certainly see the market for a G10 without the noise. That is one for the wife if it does emerge.

Now have you got a theory on a new 25 MP 1Ds Mark IV? Maybe next year if Nikon pushes the issue with similar as rumored?
Heck, I'd buy a G10 and I don't have a wife! LOL. I use a G9, and have sold a number of stock images taken with it. So long as you use noise reduction *properly*, the images clean up pretty well. Sometimes you just don't feel like carrying around a huge honkin' camera and lens, and the G-series is good for that.

Nikon is I believe going to use Sony's recently invented 25MP chip in an upcoming (in theory) model, but they're really going to have to come up with some good camera processing to make that stuff work out well in the noise department. It will most likely be marketed more at the studio/lighting setup type of photographer rather than those who do night shots, etc.

Chips are now outdoing lenses. Up until the 1Ds Mark III came out, Canon's top of the line stuff always got reviewers drooling like sex crazed maniacs. But after the Mark III with the 22 megapixels, many reviewers actually turned kind of cool toward Canon because of it. While it's still a great camera, the fact is that there are VERY few lenses that are good enough to squeeze every bit of detail out of all the pixels on that chip in the thing, and you're paying $$$$$ for it. When you start coming up with 25, 28, 30 megapixel cameras - someone's going to have to do some really good magic with glass in order to make lenses that can take on those sensors and get the detail out of them. And who wants to mortgage their home to PAY for such a lens?

That may be one of the problems with the 50D. Stores like Circuit City, Best Buy, and probably Wolf/Ritz and Costco, are going to "bundle" it with Canon's 28-135 I.S. lens. Now, that lens did REALLY well on the D30 (3MP), D60/10D (6MP) and even the 8MP Rebel and 30D models. But once you got up to the 40D, you started to see the limitations of that lens not being able to resolve the details as good - and that was on a 10MP chip camera. On the 15MP 50D? Hmmmmmm... I wonder. I think maybe Canon should have just bundled it with the $99 50mm lens - it's cheap, but is a good lens for the price being a prime - better images than a standard zoom quality lens like the 28-135. As it is, some folks may want to bypass the regular vendors and order from someone where they can get the body only and invest in a higher grade zoom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography