Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:00 PM

347 posts, read 1,095,026 times

Advertisements

I'd like to acquire a tiny tiny camera, one that I can slip into my jean/pant pocket, so I have it handy when I need.

Of late, I often feel there are plenty of times lugging my usual camera is probably inappropriate- or not the best thing to do- but I have this urge to click away...

Like yesterday, walking to the doctors office, I saw the most beautiful berries on this tree... but I don't carry my usual camera to the docs. Or at the park, so I can be relatively free from gear hanging around my neck, so I can play with my son, yet have a camera handy when he builds a cool sandcastle. Or take it along when I volunteer for field trips at the school- so I can be discreet. If I had a tiny one, it could go with me everywhere. No one needs to know. And I don't have to leave it in the car... like my usual one- Panasonic Lumix FZ-7.

Now, there are hundreds out there- lumix, finepix, coolpix, easyshare etc etc etc. Here are my thoughts:
  • My budget is about $120ish... though I don't mind paying a bit more, if it's worth it.
  • I want one that will also do fairly good macro shots.
  • I do want reasonable ability to zoom.
  • I don't think I should worry too much about megapixels- if it's about 6, it's fine. I mean, the lens is as big as my little fingernail... will buying 8 megapixels actually help?
  • And I think the option to be able to use regular batteries is also nice (found it useful in the past)... but barely any have that anymore.
  • I want it to use an SD card- 'cause I have too many of those. For this reason all the Sony's are out.
I suppose I could pick just about anything, and I'd be ok... but was hoping for some specific suggestions, or experience (pro or con) with any tiny camera, maybe correct my thinking... or just anything you can tell me is welcome.

Please advise. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 AM

Default Lol...!!!

Lol! Just as I had thought... not the place to ask this question. Most of you here possibly run about with a toolbelt full of long lenses and filters; and consider my Lumix FZ-7 a tiny camera! Now where's that rolling-in-laughter- smilie???

Think I'll just go pick one of Canon powershots and call it a day! And thank you to the 18 odd people who at least viewed this post.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:06 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times
I got a Canon Powershot (SD1100) to replace my old camera recently. It is pretty small and takes great pics.

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SD1100IS 8MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Blue): Camera & Photo

EDIT: Haha didn't see your comment about getting a Powershot... It really is a nice camera specially for being under 200 bucks.

I was not happy about getting away from using normal batteries (my old one used AAAs and I kept a few rechargable handy to swap out) but battery life is good and it wouldn't be too much to buy another pack and keep it charged for swapping out.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,747 times
FUJIFILM Global | FinePix Z20fd : Overview (http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/z/finepix_z20fd/index.html - broken link)
Fuji Z20...no slouch. Small, fast, under $150 bucks, and awesome images. 10 mp with 3 optical

Nikon:
S210
COOLPIX S210 from Nikon
Fast, very small, and outstanding images. 8 mp with 3 optical

S550 10 mp with 5 optical
COOLPIX S550 from Nikon
New one out from Nikon, FAST, small, and 5 optical instead of only 3 on the zoom, and outstanding images. Pocket portable works perfection on this one.

Canon:
SX110IS
PowerShot SX110 IS Digital Camera
This baby's loaded. 9 mp, 10 optical, and fits in a shirt pocket. Its NOT teeny weeny, but its still pocket portable, serious zoom, faster than you can say Bob's your uncle, and great images.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttrBug View Post
Lol! Just as I had thought... not the place to ask this question. Most of you here possibly run about with a toolbelt full of long lenses and filters; and consider my Lumix FZ-7 a tiny camera! Now where's that rolling-in-laughter- smilie???

Think I'll just go pick one of Canon powershots and call it a day! And thank you to the 18 odd people who at least viewed this post.
Honey, a lot of us work during the day...ya gotta give us time to get here and read the threads sometimes!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM

Smile Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
Honey, a lot of us work during the day...ya gotta give us time to get here and read the threads sometimes!!!
I know... it just appeared that there were many posts on other threads... so I thought noone had a tip for me.... but yeah, you're right, maybe I should've waited some more. Also, guess it's also coz I kept second guessing myself so much before I finally posted...

Checking the links out. Thanks. Do you have, or anyone close to you have personally used any of these cameras?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
I got a Canon Powershot (SD1100) to replace my old camera recently. It is pretty small and takes great pics.

I was not happy about getting away from using normal batteries (my old one used AAAs and I kept a few rechargable handy to swap out) but battery life is good and it wouldn't be too much to buy another pack and keep it charged for swapping out.
Yes, the SD1100 looks good too. I was considering the A590IS... a bit bigger in size, almost as loaded, and takes AA's. But I'll do more research on the SD1100. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times
Oh and it is worth it to note that it is not a "plug in the camera to charge" type battery. It comes with a little charger for the battery pack, which is easy to remove. It would be easy enough to charge spares or keep it plugged in somewhere.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:46 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Sorry but my advice would be totally worthless. I have the toolbelt so to speak.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:34 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
I have an Olympus FE340 which my DH bought me for my birthday, as I wanted something I could carry all the time - costs about $120.

It's pretty good - I like what I have seen it do so far. It's a rechargable battery pack, but otherwise it wouldn't be so slimline! You can get a silicone skin for it, so you don't need a case.

I have an older Canon Powershot A550 which I think is very good, but it's a little bulkier, with normal batteries - 2x AA.

Olympus pics
macro shot here - toothpicks

and using the zoom here - taken from right across the field in poor light

Last edited by southdown; 10-22-2008 at 02:55 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 08:12 PM

I sell the cameras I mentioned, and all the ones I mentioned are excellent choices. I've seen imagery from all of them, and they all score high with me. Another plus: Since I sell cameras, I pay attention to the brands/models that seem to get returned more than others. I can honestly say, that the models I mentioned in my post above, don't seem to get returned often at all.

I also carry the Canon A590, and its a wonderful camera. Great price, great images.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography