Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at mini tripods for a while since I really don't want to bite dirt when taking pictures close to the ground. There are several brands out there (some costing as much as a lens!) but don't know which ones are better than others. Considering I paid no more than $32 for my full sized tripod, I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I don't want to go on the cheap either with those $9.99 (or less if used) with bendable legs I've seen sold by some at Amazon. I need one able to support a 3.3 lb camera and stability on the legs is important as well as ease of leg adjustment. Any brands better than others out there? Will appreciate links if possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,153 times
I have one of the bendable leg kind and I like it. www.joby.com

Old 12-09-2008, 08:12 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach1966 View Post
I have one of the bendable leg kind and I like it. www.joby.com
You know, I checked out the link and was surprised that it can support an SLR. Great recommendation. Thank you very much. I'll bookmark and read up on it, and it's in my price range too!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:07 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
I would be interested in hearing from someone who has used a Joby tripod.

I am wanting to take it on a cruise to use with my DSLR. I would like to be able to take pics of my family with me in it using a self timer.

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Joby-GorillaPo...lexible+tripod

Old 09-26-2012, 11:31 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I would be interested in hearing from someone who has used a Joby tripod.

I am wanting to take it on a cruise to use with my DSLR. I would like to be able to take pics of my family with me in it using a self timer.

Thanks!

Amazon.com: Joby GP3 GorillaPod SLR-Zoom Flexible Tripod: Camera & Photo
My wife bought us one for a 2 month cross country road trip last summer...it is just OK, imo.
Read the first 2 reviews in your Amazon link; I agree with both reviewers comments and it sums up the shortcomings pretty well.

It is OK+ for wrapping around a post or thin tree, but that 'need' didn't arise too often. It tends to work best on non-slippery surfaces, like ground, our convertible cloth roof, etc.

It is lightweight, reasonably compact, but always 'tippy', esp with heavier DSLRs and a large zoom lens that is so common on most DSLRs, eg 17-85, et al.

If you are going to do group shots on a ship, there is always some semi-knowledgeable bystander to shoot your group. If you are off the ship, any flat surface that affords 'clear view' of the subject will work: just use the ubiquitous 10 second shutter delay and compose and focus carefully before pushing the shutter button, imo.
My 50Cts.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:02 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
My wife bought us one for a 2 month cross country road trip last summer...it is just OK, imo.
Read the first 2 reviews in your Amazon link; I agree with both reviewers comments and it sums up the shortcomings pretty well.

It is OK+ for wrapping around a post or thin tree, but that 'need' didn't arise too often. It tends to work best on non-slippery surfaces, like ground, our convertible cloth roof, etc.

It is lightweight, reasonably compact, but always 'tippy', esp with heavier DSLRs and a large zoom lens that is so common on most DSLRs, eg 17-85, et al.

If you are going to do group shots on a ship, there is always some semi-knowledgeable bystander to shoot your group. If you are off the ship, any flat surface that affords 'clear view' of the subject will work: just use the ubiquitous 10 second shutter delay and compose and focus carefully before pushing the shutter button, imo.
My 50Cts.
Thanks! After some thought and research, I have decided to do what you suggested. I bought a remote control for my Nikon for $17 so that we can position it then take as many photos as we want.

BTW, I am from SW Florida. Would love to get back one day.

I used to be in beer sales, so I was all over Naples and Marco Island. Now I am a software engineer, and there aren't as many IT jobs in SW Florida...but maybe one day....

Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
I have seen a couple of people using the "CowboyStudio Mini Tripod" but I have never used it.
heres the link to it ... Amazon.com: Cowboystudio Mini Tripod for Camera DSLR, SLR, and Camcorders with Carrying Bag: Camera & Photo

This photo is from the Amazon sales site;
Oriented vertically. The center pillar extended up allowed me to freely swing
the camera over the most stable position - over one of the tripod legs.
Attached Thumbnails
Table Top Mini Tripod Recommendations-61hphnixv8l.jpg  

Old 09-29-2012, 06:59 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
I have the ultrapod.

Amazon.com: Pedco UltraPod II Lightweight Camera Tripod: Electronics

It is great for what I use it for. But I use it with a point and shoot. I think a DSLR would tend to overbalance the ultrapod. To be honest quite often I do what MotorDavid says. Set the camera on something stable and use the self timer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography