Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 PM

164 posts, read 516,774 times

Advertisements

What are some full-featured photo editing software being used in lieu of Photoshop? It would help if it has components/spin-offs/whatever you call them that can do vector graphics, page layout, etc.

I'm on a Windows Vista platform, by the way.

I'm having major problems with Adobe Creative Suite CS 3 after using it on my laptop for more than a year. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Professional, DreamWeaver, I use them all. And now the software is an expensive coaster. So if there's an alternative to Adobe that does everything, that would be a plus for me.

Adobe isn't supporting people with the problems I'm having, which happens with Creative Suite 3 AND 4, so there's no use upgrading. I'm disgusted with the whole lack of help AND the expense of Adobe, though I've used various Adobe software for over 10 years.

Thanks for your tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:08 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,080 times
This probably doesn't do everything you're looking for, but it is a photoshop alternative that's free:

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

Old 03-02-2009, 06:26 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
If it was working before, and it's not now, it sounds like your installation of CS3 got messed up somehow. Have you tried uninstalling, and reinstalling it? Would be a shame to give up on it as it's a nice program, that you've already paid for.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:39 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
Is their a printed or PDF user manual for GIMP ?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:53 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful-Thang View Post
What are some full-featured photo editing software being used in lieu of Photoshop? It would help if it has components/spin-offs/whatever you call them that can do vector graphics, page layout, etc.

I'm on a Windows Vista platform, by the way.

I'm having major problems with Adobe Creative Suite CS 3 after using it on my laptop for more than a year. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Professional, DreamWeaver, I use them all. And now the software is an expensive coaster. So if there's an alternative to Adobe that does everything, that would be a plus for me.

Adobe isn't supporting people with the problems I'm having, which happens with Creative Suite 3 AND 4, so there's no use upgrading. I'm disgusted with the whole lack of help AND the expense of Adobe, though I've used various Adobe software for over 10 years.

Thanks for your tips.
I use all of those same programs in CS3 Design Premium and have never had any problems at all. What is the problem?

What do you mean "Adobe isnt supporting people with the problems" you are having? Does it have to do with Vista? What you have is the top of the line software for what you are trying to do, anything else would be a huge step down. Maybe we can help with whatever problems youre having. I would not be good to have to spend money on a lesser program.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:15 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Is their a printed or PDF user manual for GIMP ?
Tinman, there is no external manual to GIMP that I am aware of. There is online help.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Paint Shop Pro has long been considered a "cheaper alternative" to Photoshop in many areas. You would want the current version which is X2-Ultimate.

Read up on it before buying, but lots of folks like it. I use it for many things (along with Photoshop), but it does lack a little in RAW support for photos - still, for the price, very good.

LINK

Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
I still dont understand why you would want to go from a "Lamborghini" (CS3/4) to a "Pacer" (anything else). You invested in Adobe so why exactly would you want to downgrade? There IS NO COMPARIBLE ALTERNATIVE TO CS3/4 ON THE MARKET. Sure there are some programs that may do something similar (although not nearly as well and you will need several programs just to do that), but why pay when you have everything you already need?

I just dont get it. Did you get an illegal copy of Adobe from someone on Craiglist? If you got the real package then Adobe will help you for life (plus the updates are all free). What gives?

Old 03-03-2009, 05:49 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
Cool external manual to GIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Kitty View Post
Tinman, there is no external manual to GIMP that I am aware of. There is online help.
I tried using it on this old system some what slow, Trying to figure stuff out while you process.Then having to back out and find a table of contents and read then go back and start over again just takes the fun out of it. If I had the manual or a PDF printed it would be so much easier. Do as you read !

Old 03-03-2009, 07:54 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
The online documentation for Gimp is here: GNU Image Manipulation Program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography