Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 11:02 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Thanks! No self-timer either.

The credit really goes to the camera though, and its multi-frame feature. Here's another taken at 1/6s (again, wide open at f/3.5 and ISO6400). The convenient travel zoom but very slow lens (Sigma 18-250), extremely limited lighting and rules disallowing tripod from these premises basically would have prevented me from capturing the sights. In fact, I had my older camera also at hand, very very fast lens, but its ISO range is rather limited before showing noise significantly. The other option being flash, but that is something I mostly avoid for such shots anyway. Also, I likely had optical stabilization (in-lens) in both cases with the camera's in-body image stabilization turned off.

The fountain is from a Buddhist Park where even shoes aren't allowed and the second shot is from near 500 year old church without much interior lighting. IIRC, flash photography wasn't allowed inside the church either. Your new Fuji is also delivering some nice colors, BTW.

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 12-29-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Thanks! No self-timer either.

The credit really goes to the camera though, and its multi-frame feature. Here's another taken at 1/6s (again, wide open at f/3.5 and ISO6400). The convenient travel zoom but very slow lens (Sigma 18-250), extremely limited lighting and rules disallowing tripod from these premises basically would have prevented me from capturing the sights. In fact, I had my older camera also at hand, very very fast lens, but its ISO range is rather limited before showing noise significantly. The other option being flash, but that is something I mostly avoid for such shots anyway. Also, I likely had optical stabilization (in-lens) in both cases with the camera's in-body image stabilization turned off.

The fountain is from a Buddhist Park where even shoes aren't allowed and the second shot is from near 500 year old church without much interior lighting. IIRC, flash photography wasn't allowed inside the church either.
My Fuji has built in stabilization, but about the slowest shutter speed I can hand-hold is still just about 1/25 of a second. Interestingly, using my old Canonet (which obviously has no IS feature) I can go down to 1/30 pretty easily, and have even managed 1/15 of second a couple of times. It's quite a bit heavier than the Fuji, though, and I wonder if that helps me some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Your new Fuji is also delivering some nice colors, BTW.
Thanks! Well, I guess I should thank Fuji for including a Velvia mode.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:09 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Every year we have a parade through town called the Pony Express Days, one year they called it Azalea Festival and the turn out was poor. We are a small unincorporated town where the logo is "Where the Horses have the right of way" The next year they resumed calling it Pony Express Days and the turnout has been great. We have old cars, horses and this one time the Wells Fargo Stage Coach.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:22 PM

327 posts, read 767,043 times
I took this one in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago. It's on the left side of the main entrance to the GG Bridge.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Old 12-30-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
I took this one in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago. It's on the left side of the main entrance to the GG Bridge.
Did you take that with an old medium (square) format camera? If not, you did an amazing job of making it look like you did!

Here's mine for today:

Old 12-30-2011, 12:14 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
I searched through the other sections; housing, rural, camping etc. Yet found no where to fit this photo. We had moved to Humboldt county near the town of Shelter Cove on the coast here. We lived at 1500 feet. This was in 1994 and I had got a job with an aviary that required me to be on the property. My boss had his own house, but no second dwelling. Using a bow saw, I cut down some douglas firs, made a pole structure and covered it in plastic and tarps. I bought a 1918 wood burning cookstove and put it in the hovel. We lived in this 14' x 14' home made tent for two years till we had enough saved to build a structure. It was an adventure living in a tent for two years, battling snow storms, torrential rain and wind, but this hovel served us well for two years. It was destroyed by 117 mph winds from a winter storm in December of 96.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:14 PM

327 posts, read 767,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Did you take that with an old medium (square) format camera? If not, you did an amazing job of making it look like you did!
Nope, not for that one! I square-cropped it. As you can see, though, I'm inspired by medium format photography. I own a Yashica Mat 124G and a Mamiya RB67 with which I take many of my photos, but usually when I take landscape-type shots, it's digital. What I did there was add a lot of texture. I also relieved some of the contrast to make the picture "softer." Thanks!

Old 12-30-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I searched through the other sections; housing, rural, camping etc. Yet found no where to fit this photo. We had moved to Humboldt county near the town of Shelter Cove on the coast here. We lived at 1500 feet. This was in 1994 and I had got a job with an aviary that required me to be on the property. My boss had his own house, but no second dwelling. Using a bow saw, I cut down some douglas firs, made a pole structure and covered it in plastic and tarps. I bought a 1918 wood burning cookstove and put it in the hovel. We lived in this 14' x 14' home made tent for two years till we had enough saved to build a structure. It was an adventure living in a tent for two years, battling snow storms, torrential rain and wind, but this hovel served us well for two years. It was destroyed by 117 mph winds from a winter storm in December of 96.
That's pretty darn impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
Nope, not for that one! I square-cropped it. As you can see, though, I'm inspired by medium format photography. I own a Yashica Mat 124G and a Mamiya RB67 with which I take many of my photos, but usually when I take landscape-type shots, it's digital. What I did there was add a lot of texture. I also relieved some of the contrast to make the picture "softer." Thanks!
This is also impressive! It wasn't just the square format, but the other qualities of the image that made me think it may be film. I need to try some more black & white conversions.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:59 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times
Life size catrina in hotel lobby for Day of the Dead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography