Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:04 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,236,777 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting one forever. The past few years I've been using a Nikon coolpix thinking a hybrid would be good enough. Little did I know being a noob. It absolutely sucked. Plenty of features, but the processor couldn't handle them, so it was like having a heavy/bulky, low-grade, point & shoot teaser.

So, my dh's laptop sh*ts the bed on Friday night. He's a student and freaked. I told him to calm down, we'll just get him another one. I have a Best Buy card with a zero balance. I start dreaming about cameras. He's been listening to me yap about DSLRs for several years. I found a canon rebel xs for $550 w/a lens. He told me to go for it and I did. I've been playing with it the last day and a 1/2 and the differences are unbelievable. I'm so excited i can't stand it. I had to share my joy with you!

I can't wait for the sun to come out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 01:05 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,279,417 times
Congratulations! Yeah, there's lots of difference. They both have their advantages, but a large (physically) sensor is hard to beat.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:02 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,775,392 times
wahhhoooo....congrat's to you and welcome to a whole new world of photography!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 03:07 PM

107,100 posts, read 109,424,019 times
we are sure you will have lots of questions sooooo ask away.

the best part is as you learn more and more and your photos go from snapshots to creative works of art you get to look at all your earlier stuff and go "I CANT BELIEVE I THOUGHT THAT WAS GOOD!"

HA HA HA HA

Old 04-18-2010, 03:15 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,470,951 times
Awesome stuff, welcome to photography !!! You dont need the sun to use your camera, lets see some pics from the new DSLR !!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 03:33 PM

107,100 posts, read 109,424,019 times
ha ha ha good point about needing the sun.as newbees we think we need sun.

just the opposite ,overcast clouds can really pop colors

Old 04-18-2010, 07:15 PM

Thanks for all the responses! I'm excited to join in photo sharing in the near future and to learn from you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we are sure you will have lots of questions sooooo ask away.

the best part is as you learn more and more and your photos go from snapshots to creative works of art you get to look at all your earlier stuff and go "I CANT BELIEVE I THOUGHT THAT WAS GOOD!"

HA HA HA HA
No doubt, tho, the last two years with this Nikon I couldn't fool myself, only frustration. But, I could have come on here today with a zillion questions. I wanted to calibrate my external monitor. Before I could do that, I had to figure out why it wouldn't go full screen, which turned out to be a driver issue. Then getting on to calibration, I was banging my head. It's really confusing and I can't afford anything, tho, I'd like some recommendations, so eventually I tried adobe gamma. It looks better, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ha ha ha good point about needing the sun.as newbees we think we need sun.

just the opposite ,overcast clouds can really pop colors
I'm sure, but understand I had a Nikon coolpix that would give nothing but grain unless in full sun. I don't have any pics yet with my new camera, except of my dog and random wall shots while learning the controls. Not very interesting.

But, here's one from a cannon point and shoot (unprocessed). I love the color.

Finally got a DSLR-whitemountains2008.jpg

Old 04-18-2010, 08:08 PM

Default Ok, here are a few pics I took today!

Here are my little fish buddies
Finally got a DSLR-fish.jpg

My dh took the dog for a walk yesterday and picked these flowers from a tree thinking I'd probably want to take pictures of them. I was checking out the macro function.

Finally got a DSLR-flowers.jpg

Here's Halley!

Finally got a DSLR-halley.jpg

eta: my concern is that they look drastically different when comparing them on the laptop screen and the external monitor. They look crisp and vibrant on the external, and dull on the laptop. Which is correct?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:01 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,919,954 times
When I got my Nikon D80 last year I got an account on Flickr and also joined the Nikon D80 group. You can post pics, look at pics and ask any question you may have about your camera. Its been a huge help to me, and I love looking at pictures taken by others with the same camera. You may want to join the Canon Rebel xs group!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,279,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

eta: my concern is that they look drastically different when comparing them on the laptop screen and the external monitor. They look crisp and vibrant on the external, and dull on the laptop. Which is correct?
Hi Brawnwyn,

Don't count on the camera's monitor for too much, and unless you calibrate your laptop, don't count on it either. If you relied on your laptop's monitor before, rely on it now. It hasn't changed.

For correct exposure when shooting, check the histogram on your camera's monitor. You'll need to learn how to read it for different pictures if you haven't already, but once you get the hang of it, it's hard to beat.

As for calibrating your laptop, I highly recommend it for anyone who's serious about their photography. I use a Spyder -- simple to use and not too expensive.

One of the things you'll notice about your new camera is that pictures straight from it won't be as sharp and probably not as contrasty. You can adjust this on your camera to some extent, but it's better to do it in Photoshop or whatever you're using for image editing.

The other "sharpness" issue with DSLRs is that you won't have nearly the depth of field with the larger sensors and longer lenses that they require. That's usually an advantage but not always.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography