Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 09:20 AM

512 posts, read 1,435,387 times

Advertisements

hello,
i'm buying one off of craigslist today...and wanted to know what to look out for.....aside from the obvious (ie. broken lense, scratches, etc. etc.)

i'll be checking to make sure it works perfectly...but is there something else i need to look out for that maybe i haven't considered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
hello,
i'm buying one off of craigslist today...and wanted to know what to look out for.....aside from the obvious (ie. broken lense, scratches, etc. etc.)

i'll be checking to make sure it works perfectly...but is there something else i need to look out for that maybe i haven't considered?
look for fungus on the inside of the lens....

Old 05-07-2010, 11:43 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,122 times
Check that the seller is legit and is actually going to send you the product. You can do this by looking carefully at the payment and refund options as well as the price. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

As for the unit itself, blueflames is right. Check for fungus inside the lens. You can do this by angling a flashlight and rotating the lens. What you are looking for are little white or grayish specs that look like spiderwebs.

I'd also get a sense of the "feel" of the lens. How well do the grips work? When you are focusing manually, is there "tightness" or skipping?

Check the contacts to make sure they are shiny and do not have scratches on them.

I'm AR about this, but I'd also check the Serial No. against information on this page. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way to get to the information on the 18-200mm DX. It's just a good way to make sure you are in the ballpark with a legitimate lens.

Check the switches on the side with the lens attached to the camera to make sure they function. The throw should be firm, but not tight.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:10 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
RUNYYfan....hey thanks for that linky for checking lens numbers!! did not know about it!!!

sign up on dgrin.com the lens being sold are usually in very very good shape as it is a site for serious photographers!!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
RUNYYfan....hey thanks for that linky for checking lens numbers!! did not know about it!!!
You're welcome!

For the OP, another thing to check with the seller is whether or not the lens has ever been sent in for service or repair. If it has, a good seller will have the paperwork for that work and it should come with the lens for your reference. Maybe it's just me, but I like having all the original documentation with the lens for reference, especially when it comes to warranties.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:30 AM

512 posts, read 1,435,387 times
Bought the lens on Friday. looks good :-)

i also have a 55-200mm nikon VR lens that i've had for a year or so. that's nice too.

i just did a quick comparison today on both lenses at 200mm....and the 55-200 has a significant and noticeable advantage when it comes to the zoom itself over the 18-200mm lens!!!

i have no idea why!
i figured that at 200mm, the magnification (ie. the zoom) should be the same....meaning that everything equal, an object far away should look exactly the same size at 200mm using either lens.

is this not the case? i'm puzzled.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
theoretically they should be the same but because of how the lens groups focus at infinity the field of view shifts with wide range zooms.

its especially noticible when focusing close at maximum zoom.

Its hard to explain but non the less what you saw happen was correct.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:29 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
I have 18-200 and need to sell it, it's sitting here collecting dust for the last 2 years. Anyway, the sweet spot for zooming on this lens is at 100mm, the rest is just blah! Bad performer in low light as well. It's a good all around lens to walk around and take pictures in a day light.

Have fun with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography