Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:32 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
A percentage that is six to seven times what the white percentages are.
And this would ONLY be significant if the populations of White and Black people were equal. And they are not; far from it.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:48 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
And this would ONLY be significant if the populations of White and Black people were equal. And they are not; far from it.
Equal how so? You mean how African-Americans are getting first dibs on the arena jobs (which I would love to get) or how they get extra points on civil service exams for government jobs (which I would love to have). Damn...give me a job that pays over $10 an hour with benefits and I'll be there in line in a heartbeat. But, I'm a poor white guy from a poor white town so I don't get a free helping hand. Poor me. Funny how my hometown has poverty rates that equal or exceed inner-city black neighborhoods and there are no shootings. There are no murders. Why is this?

Much like there was a proclivity for violence in the Wild West amongst white people there is now a proclivity for violence amongst inner-city black people. It is a big mix of cultural and socio-economic influences converging together. But, I must be a horrible racist for pointing out the blunt truth that everybody knows and that everybody sees on the news every night from June to August.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:25 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Equal how so?
You were talking about people getting shot. A percentage of a smaller number yields a smaller number. Simple math.

Quote:
You mean how African-Americans are getting first dibs on the arena jobs (which I would love to get) or how they get extra points on civil service exams for government jobs (which I would love to have). Damn...give me a job that pays over $10 an hour with benefits and I'll be there in line in a heartbeat. But, I'm a poor white guy from a poor white town so I don't get a free helping hand. Poor me.
This is not related to the topic at hand; but why would you get mad over losing opportunities for a $10/hr job? You do realize that that is only a bit over $20K per year? Even with 'benefits' that is barely a livable wage. That should not be a goal career for anyone...White or Black!

Quote:
Funny how my hometown has poverty rates that equal or exceed inner-city black neighborhoods and there are no shootings. There are no murders. Why is this?
The question is a good one, but the explanation is more detailed than would be in place on this forum. There are pretty comprehensive sociological studies (http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst;jsessionid=MfRWnSrRQFz5J237lgTXv xD4bsHCFsGyZhMmGz1RYLVvcd5nyrnP%211566849592%21138 0883283?docId=95699283 - broken link) that have been done on this. If I were you, and if this were a question that really bothered me (so if you really seek for an answer), I would read up a bit on this information before making such claims.

Quote:
Much like there was a proclivity for violence in the Wild West amongst white people there is now a proclivity for violence amongst inner-city black people. It is a big mix of cultural and socio-economic influences converging together. But, I must be a horrible racist for pointing out the blunt truth that everybody knows and that everybody sees on the news every night from June to August.
Being a racist is not horrible; at least I don't think so. The bigger problem seems to be your questions sound too rhetorical. Are you asking out of sarcasm, or do you really seek answers? Your statements of 'blunt truth' only brush the surface. It is like saying "The American Civil War was fought over slavery." That is not a false claim; but there were at lot of other factors involved. Looking at these other factors does not debunk the original claim, but it gives you a truer perspective of the subject at hand.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Quote:
You were talking about people getting shot. A percentage of a smaller number yields a smaller number. Simple math.
Yes, simple math is a wonderful thing isn't it? 28% of the population of the city is African-American, but if you click on the link that I provided you will see that far more that 28% of homicides are occurring in black neighborhoods.

Quote:
This is not related to the topic at hand; but why would you get mad over losing opportunities for a $10/hr job? You do realize that that is only a bit over $20K per year? Even with 'benefits' that is barely a livable wage. That should not be a goal career for anyone...White or Black!
Haha...I'd take anything I can get right now. I have bills to pay and am eeking out an existence on unemployment and meager savings. But, given my pale skin I don't get freebies. Sigh. Maybe if I get hooked on a drug and go to prison then I can be the recipient of some altruistic program? A poor white boy can dream.

Quote:
The question is a good one, but the explanation is more detailed than would be in place on this forum. There are pretty comprehensive sociological studies (http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst;jsessionid=MfRWnSrRQFz5J237lgTXv xD4bsHCFsGyZhMmGz1RYLVvcd5nyrnP%211566849592%21138 0883283?docId=95699283 - broken link) that have been done on this. If I were you, and if this were a question that really bothered me (so if you really seek for an answer), I would read up a bit on this information before making such claims.
Statistics quite clearly show that poor blacks are committing violent acts at much higher rates than poor whites at the same socio-economic level. Poverty is not the only explanation. There has to be a different component to it. Note that this is not an indictment upon every black person in America. But, it is a pointed commentary upon the realities of the black community in this country and its current failings.

Quote:
Being a racist is not horrible; at least I don't think so. The bigger problem seems to be your questions sound too rhetorical. Are you asking out of sarcasm, or do you really seek answers?
I'm a sarcastic piece of ****. I admit it. But, I'm not stupid. My points have merit and I want the black community to admit and confront its failings. Just like there is a culture of white-trashness in my hometown which is tolerant of public assistance and several illegitimate children, there is a culture of violence amongst a significant amount of young black males.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:38 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
This thread has gone on long enough. Apparently when race enters the room, rational discussion is impossible ... nothing new to be honest, still it's sad.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh