Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times

Advertisements

Today is an air quality action day, code orange for ozone.

Really lame too, as the normal high temp should not even be 80 yet, and instead today it will be mid-90s and humid, thus creating the conditions for the code orange. If this keeps up we're not going to have any real in-between weather at all. It's like we skipped from March to July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 05:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Today is an air quality action day, code orange for ozone.

Really lame too, as the normal high temp should not even be 80 yet, and instead today it will be mid-90s and humid, thus creating the conditions for the code orange. If this keeps up we're not going to have any real in-between weather at all. It's like we skipped from March to July.
I hate when that happens. We had rain about everyday of May and now we are into July/August weather. Not a big fan of mid 90's weather.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:34 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There are other monitors that are rating air quality as very poor several times a year. I agree with everything you stated, but just wanted to point out the Liberty monitor isn't the only one that has poor readings for air quality.
Correct. Holding aside Liberty-Clairton, we now have fairly typical air quality for a U.S. metro of our size--but that doesn't mean we always good air quality, and we can do better.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:35 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I'm really hoping this weather pattern over the past six months is atypical for Pittsburgh. I'm still awaiting Spring's arrival, and it's nearly mid-June. I'm already sweating like a hog in my apartment at 7:35 AM. I want to go running today on my day off, but how will I be able to cool off when I return? Why aren't the city pools open yet? Why aren't any cooling centers available? It seems like the only way to escape my apartment's heat, which will probably be at around 100 degrees by late-afternoon, will be for me to see if I can sleep in the air-conditioned living room of my better half tonight. (Sigh).

Old 06-08-2011, 05:47 AM
gg

Pittsburgh is one of the worst for short term particle pollution. What is short term particle pollution?

It is the dirty, smoky part of that stream of exhaust is made of particle pollution. Overwhelming evidence shows that particle pollution—like that coming from that exhaust smoke—can kill. Particle pollution can increase the risk of heart disease, lung cancer and asthma attacks and can interfere with the growth and work of the lungs.

People get all upset about my anti SUV/Giant truck campaign, but what they don't understand is, I have read too much information in our region about pollution and I have strong feelings about all the giant vehicles people drive for NO reason. People should read more and act to help our region get rid of the very poor rating for particle pollution. Will anyone listen or even care what I am writing? I doubt it, but at least I am saying something about it in hopes ONE person might actually say, hey I am going to walk to get groceries today or maybe not drive as much or maybe trade in that huge top heavy brick SUV for something more sensible. Maybe one person!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 AM

Gasoline-powered SUVs aren't really a major contributor to fine particulate pollution. In fact less than 3% of that form of pollution comes from onroad gasoline-powered sources--90% comes from stationary sources or non-road mobile sources (planes, trains, boats, construction vehicles, and such), and most of the 10% from onroad sources is from diesel vehicles:

EPA - Mobile Source Emissions - Particulate Matter (http://www.epa.gov/oms/invntory/overview/pollutants/pm.htm - broken link)

So SUVs are not why Pittsburgh ranks relatively poorly in particulate pollution.

Concentrated ground-level ozone, however, is a different matter: there gasoline-powered personal vehicles can be a major contributor. I don't think we have an unusual amount of SUVs or vehicle emissions in general, but just a normal amount of vehicle emissions plus our topography and road patterns can lead to some serious ozone problems.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:27 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm really hoping this weather pattern over the past six months is atypical for Pittsburgh. I'm still awaiting Spring's arrival, and it's nearly mid-June. I'm already sweating like a hog in my apartment at 7:35 AM. I want to go running today on my day off, but how will I be able to cool off when I return? Why aren't the city pools open yet? Why aren't any cooling centers available? It seems like the only way to escape my apartment's heat, which will probably be at around 100 degrees by late-afternoon, will be for me to see if I can sleep in the air-conditioned living room of my better half tonight. (Sigh).
It's atypical for the whole country. Did you see that Minneapolis hit 103 yesterday? And someone died of heat exhaustion in the Chicago Marathon last weekend. It's been a very extreme spring for weather this year, quite abnormal. It's not just Pittsburgh. We've actually had it better than most so far.

Why not go to Lowes and get yourself a window a/c or portable a/c? I pretty much need a/c if the temp is above 80, I don't know how people live without it at all.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Why not go to Lowes and get yourself a window a/c or portable a/c? I pretty much need a/c if the temp is above 80, I don't know how people live without it at all.
It is interesting when I was a kid growing up in this region, A/C wasn't all that common. Today it is a must in our area. Amazing the climate change happening so fast. It really is something to live in a generation that you can actually notice a difference in one's lifetime.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I hate when that happens. We had rain about everyday of May and now we are into July/August weather. Not a big fan of mid 90's weather.
See, this is the thing that surprises me about Pittsburgh having bad air quality. You guys have so much rain, you'd think that your air would be very clean.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
See, this is the thing that surprises me about Pittsburgh having bad air quality. You guys have so much rain, you'd think that your air would be very clean.
It may well have been worse if not for the rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh