Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,838,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm really hoping this weather pattern over the past six months is atypical for Pittsburgh.
It is. Quite remarkable, actually.
Quote:
I'm still awaiting Spring's arrival, and it's nearly mid-June. I'm already sweating like a hog in my apartment at 7:35 AM. I want to go running today on my day off, but how will I be able to cool off when I return?
Maybe an a/c off Craig's List? I wish you had moved here last year. I sold three of them, cheap. I would have given you one. [Doesn't someone have an a/c our boy could buy for not too much scratch?]

Quote:
It seems like the only way to escape my apartment's heat, which will probably be at around 100 degrees by late-afternoon, will be for me to see if I can sleep in the air-conditioned living room of my better half tonight. (Sigh).
He makes you sleep in the LR? (kidding)

Last edited by jay5835; 06-08-2011 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,816,070 times
Western Pennsylvania warned about high ozone levels - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Try not to fill you giant SUV up in the daylight hours today. Just got back from a bike ride downtown. There was a very yellow haze everywhere. Probably wasn't the best idea to ride today.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,926,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It is. Quite remarkable, actually.
Maybe an a/c off Craig's List? I wish you had moved here last year. I sold three of them, cheap. I would have given you one. [Doesn't someone have an a/c our boy could buy for not too much scratch?]

He makes you sleep in the LR? (kidding)
His apartment may not have the necessary wiring for a window unit. But I agree he should at least ask his landlady if he can put one in. No one can live (sleep) in a Pittsburgh attic apartment without AC.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I'm really hoping this weather pattern over the past six months is atypical for Pittsburgh. I'm still awaiting Spring's arrival, and it's nearly mid-June. I'm already sweating like a hog in my apartment at 7:35 AM. I want to go running today on my day off, but how will I be able to cool off when I return? Why aren't the city pools open yet? Why aren't any cooling centers available? It seems like the only way to escape my apartment's heat, which will probably be at around 100 degrees by late-afternoon, will be for me to see if I can sleep in the air-conditioned living room of my better half tonight. (Sigh).
Why would you have to sleep in the living room?

Would you really want to live in a cooling center? I don't think they'll let you stay there for the whole summer.

You won't make it for a summer in Pittsburgh without buying an air conditioner. You'll never get any sleep. It's only June! You've got a long summer ahead of you! Buy an air conditioner. (Assuming your wiring can handle it.)

Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
His apartment may not have the necessary wiring for a window unit. But I agree he should at least ask his landlady if he can put one in. No one can live (sleep) in a Pittsburgh attic apartment without AC.
Might be able to with a whole house attic fan. If no huge attic fan, then tons of fans to move air. I am living in my first home with central air!!! Never had it in my life. Two other homes in Fox Chapel Borough with NO central air. Both had huge attic fans that pulled a ton of air through and it really wasn't bad. I was going to do that with my current home, but there was no where to put an attic fan. First two years in my home was NO central air and no attic fan, but I did have a window unit in the bedroom. It is very different these days compared to back in the '70's. Pittsburgh is becoming the tropics.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,977,513 times
It's hard to look back at photos from 100-200 years ago and realize our forefathers wore heavy wool clothing with layers. In the summer. With no AC, nope, nothing to cool them down but a mint julep.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,901,514 times
Of course a lot of them died because of it.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's hard to look back at photos from 100-200 years ago and realize our forefathers wore heavy wool clothing with layers. In the summer. With no AC, nope, nothing to cool them down but a mint julep.
It helped a little the sun was never seen with all the smoke cover.

It is an odd time on planet earth when one generation is witnessing first hand a climate change. Usually it wouldn't be noticed because the change is so gradual, but if you look at the evidence it is pretty abrupt considering a real timeline. It is a little unsettling, but even if it swung 5 degrees in our lifetime, we would survive it. Hope it doesn't even get more abrupt. I will have to move north to ski!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Might be able to with a whole house attic fan. If no huge attic fan, then tons of fans to move air. I am living in my first home with central air!!! Never had it in my life. Two other homes in Fox Chapel Borough with NO central air. Both had huge attic fans that pulled a ton of air through and it really wasn't bad. I was going to do that with my current home, but there was no where to put an attic fan. First two years in my home was NO central air and no attic fan, but I did have a window unit in the bedroom. It is very different these days compared to back in the '70's. Pittsburgh is becoming the tropics.
I spent a fair amount of time in Pittsburgh in the 70's and it was hot as heck in the summer. Without AC it was brutal. Kids don't seem to suffer as much as adults. They can sleep through the heat. The adults couldn't. Honestly, the climate in Pittsburgh hasn't changed. It's always been hot in the summer.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I'm really hoping this weather pattern over the past six months is atypical for Pittsburgh. I'm still awaiting Spring's arrival, and it's nearly mid-June. I'm already sweating like a hog in my apartment at 7:35 AM. I want to go running today on my day off, but how will I be able to cool off when I return? Why aren't the city pools open yet? Why aren't any cooling centers available? It seems like the only way to escape my apartment's heat, which will probably be at around 100 degrees by late-afternoon, will be for me to see if I can sleep in the air-conditioned living room of my better half tonight. (Sigh).
Cooling centers? Aren't those for the very old and the very young who might die from the heat? I don't think that they are for 20somethings who don't have air conditioning. I don't think your friends and neighbors want to fund air conditioned housing for young people. Same with pools. Pools aren't open during the week until the kids are out of school. It's too costly to open a pool for the few adults who are off work on a Tuesday or Wednesday and might want to stop in. Suburban pools work the same way. They don't open during the day until school is out. Public pools are filled with kids, so they operate around children's schedules. It's too expensive to do it any other way. Swimming Pools (412) 323-7928
To get answers to other questions, such as "will the city provide me with a cooling center", Pittsburgh 311 Non-Emergency Services I also found this article about a cooling center in Homewood, Pittsburgh opens cooling center in Homewood for seniors - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review But it appears you are a bit too young (by 35 years or so) to take advantage of it. The article also tells you which parks have sprinklers open that you could prance around in. It seems Pittsburgh is replete with services to beat the heat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh