U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:30 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,338,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
umm, did you happen to catch the HBO program called "GasLand"? if you haven't noticed, energy bigwigs are getting beat up on a daily basis...

if you don't mind, what's your stance on Natural Gas Drilling? for or against? and why?
ummmmm, I was at the screening for Gasland at the Byham. Am I supposed to feel sorry for energy bigwigs?

I'm against fracking water being dumped into municipal filtration plants, which is being done. I'm against forced pooling, which is on its way in PA and is in effect in most other gas drilling areas. Do you know what that is? I'm generally against energy companies rushing into an area, draining its resources with out of town labor and leaving the residents to clean up the mess over a period of decades. Have you ever heard of that happening?

Why are you for it? Cheap gas? Jobs? Chances are, if your biggest concern is for "energy bigwigs", I'm probably better informed about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101112=213 View Post
PA does not have a good track record for overseeing this type of thing. Just look at the fly ash issue or mountain top mining and you can see the future for marcellus shale. I do not think the political will is there to make sure proper regulation is done. Just take a look at the oil spill in the Gulf or the huge coal ash slide down south. Please one small documentary is not "beating up" big wigs. We have to be smart about our energy choices. Nuclear may not be a bad option if we can figure out what to do with waste. Almost all options have negatives. we have to figure out how to deal with them. I think our political systems is broke. Just look at who is donating money to political candidates and then look at their voting record on regulation. Perhaps campaign financing reform would help.
Two posts and batting 1,000. We need more thoughtful posters like this.

How many accidents have there been in the past couple of months?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:32 AM

1,896 posts, read 3,074,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
ummmmm, I was at the screening for Gasland at the Byham. Am I supposed to feel sorry for energy bigwigs?

I'm against fracking water being dumped into municipal filtration plants, which is being done. I'm against forced pooling, which is on its way in PA and is in effect in most other gas drilling areas. Do you know what that is? I'm generally against energy companies rushing into an area, draining its resources with out of town labor and leaving the residents to clean up the mess over a period of decades. Have you ever heard of that happening?

Why are you for it? Cheap gas? Jobs? Chances are, if your biggest concern is for "energy bigwigs", I'm probably better informed about it.

forced pooling, yeah...i've heard of it. i'm in the business, work in the land dept. for one of the major players here in PA. i'm also willing to admit, after only 4 years in the business, i've still got a lot to learn...i'm committed to continually educating myself on a yearly basis, and i'm sure you may be able to help with my education.

look, i'm not asking you to feel sorry for anyone, but let's play fair here. We have people calling in daily from NE PA wanting to lease their property...they stand to make a lot of money. It's not our responsibility to educate the folks on what's a good deal, the onus is on them to learn what's in store for their land and their town when Gas Drilling is involved.

i think our ("our" meaning "you and I, and anyone else concerned with this matter) efforts would be more efficient in educating the landowners, and holding our gov't accountable for enforcing the regulations that are already in place.

with that being said, "GasLand" is a perfect example of scare tactics with no factual substance...it's been debunked. if you care to browse the links below, you may find information that isn't being shown in the MSM and "everyday" news...

"GasLand" myth/fact:
http://www.energyindepth.org/wp-cont...NAL-062110.pdf

Comprehensive List of Hydraulic Fracture Solutions:
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/minres/oilgas/FractListing.pdf (broken link)

Hydraulic Fracturing FAQ:
http://www.energyindepth.org/wp-cont...gettecasey.pdf

why am i for it?

Currently, it puts food on the table for my family...I uprooted my family 7 months ago to move 1300 miles from Texas for work here in Pittsburgh.

I take my business serisously, and can say I honestly care how my business affects landowners in areas such as the Marcellus...just remember, there's always two sides to every story...and most often, for every accident or bad press arriving from the Natural Gas Industry, there's many more successful stories NOT being talked about.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:51 AM

2,424 posts, read 2,003,470 times
Quote:
forced pooling, yeah...i've heard of it. i'm in the business, work in the land dept. for one of the major players here in PA. i'm also willing to admit, after only 4 years in the business, i've still got a lot to learn...i'm committed to continually educating myself on a yearly basis, and i'm sure you may be able to help with my education.

look, i'm not asking you to feel sorry for anyone, but let's play fair here. We have people calling in daily from NE PA wanting to lease their property...they stand to make a lot of money. It's not our responsibility to educate the folks on what's a good deal, the onus is on them to learn what's in store for their land and their town when Gas Drilling is involved.

i think our ("our" meaning "you and I, and anyone else concerned with this matter) efforts would be more efficient in educating the landowners, and holding our gov't accountable for enforcing the regulations that are already in place.

with that being said, "GasLand" is a perfect example of scare tactics with no factual substance...it's been debunked. if you care to browse the links below, you may find information that isn't being shown in the MSM and "everyday" news...

"GasLand" myth/fact:
http://www.energyindepth.org/wp-cont...NAL-062110.pdf

Comprehensive List of Hydraulic Fracture Solutions:
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/minres/oilgas/FractListing.pdf (broken link)

Hydraulic Fracturing FAQ:
http://www.energyindepth.org/wp-cont...gettecasey.pdf

why am i for it?

Currently, it puts food on the table for my family...I uprooted my family 7 months ago to move 1300 miles from Texas for work here in Pittsburgh.

I take my business serisously, and can say
Quote:
I honestly care how my business affects landowners in areas such as the Marcellus.
..just remember, there's always two sides to every story...and most often, for every accident or bad press arriving from the Natural Gas Industry, there's many more successful stories NOT being talked about.
Oh really, if so then keep in mind everyones environmental concerns. Because when all is said and done, you and your cohorts will be long gone and the rest of us have to live with the long term mess you left behind.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Oh really, if so then keep in mind everyones environmental concerns. Because when all is said and done, you and your cohorts will be long gone and the rest of us have to live with the long term mess you left behind.

just curious, did you take the time to browse the links i provided?

i hope you aren't assuming because of the work i'm involved with that i'm not concerned with the environment, because i belong in "the rest of us", i live on this land as well...and so do the many folks that work in this business.

again, if people are truly concerned with the environment, and the "mess" that may be left behind, the place to begin would be the gov't, and the people involved with creating and enforcing the regulations that Gas Companies are working with. does that make sense, or is it better to wait for a disaster and then play the blame game??

Old 06-24-2010, 09:34 AM

I will look at the links later, but I have read enough to know this can potentially be an environmental disaster if we don't keep a handle on it. This is the kind of crap we dont want to happen: U.S. halts drilling in Allegheny Forest And the Allegheny Forest should be OFF LIMITS! This is a pristine forest area you may not be familiar with being from Texas, barely touched by man and greedy oil and gas co's would love to rape this land. It's all about money and I'm sick of it!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:17 AM

20,273 posts, read 29,974,561 times
Quote:
It's all about money and I'm sick of it!
It may be all about money for some businesses and people, but I don't think that is accurate overall. Again, natural gas would likely substitute for some coal and petroleum. Done right, that could easily be a net win for the environment.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I will look at the links later, but I have read enough to know this can potentially be an environmental disaster if we don't keep a handle on it. This is the kind of crap we dont want to happen: U.S. halts drilling in Allegheny Forest And the Allegheny Forest should be OFF LIMITS! This is a pristine forest area you may not be familiar with being from Texas, barely touched by man and greedy oil and gas co's would love to rape this land. It's all about money and I'm sick of it!

okay, good deal...read up when you have time. i only hope that you're actively pursuing your concerns...time spent on the forum's badmouthing the "greedy oil and gas co's" does absolutely nothing in terms of preserving the environment!

just remember, these oil and gas companies provide an essential need for America. there are rules and regulations of which they must abide by...and the latest disaster in the Gulf is a prime example of not only a careless Gas Company, but also corrupt Gov't regulators NOT doing their job...

Old 06-24-2010, 12:51 PM

I don't have time to do anything physically, but I will write letters to the appropriate people.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
just curious, did you take the time to browse the links i provided?

i hope you aren't assuming because of the work i'm involved with that i'm not concerned with the environment, because i belong in "the rest of us", i live on this land as well...and so do the many folks that work in this business.

again, if people are truly concerned with the environment, and the "mess" that may be left behind, the place to begin would be the gov't, and the people involved with creating and enforcing the regulations that Gas Companies are working with. does that make sense, or is it better to wait for a disaster and then play the blame game??
I took the time to browse them. A "debunking" site no doubt connected to the industry, and the official site of a corrupt state government bought and sold by carpetbagging environmental rapists like your cohorts. Am I supposed to be impressed?

The guy who made Gasland started with no agenda beyond wanting to learn more about the industry offering him 100k to drill on his family's land. Have you seen it? If you haven't, I have nothing more to discuss with you until you've seen both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh