U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,338,577 times

Advertisements

Also, I'm all for you feeding your family, but what's your opinion of forced pooling? To me, it sounds like a gross violation of property rights. To the uninformed, in most states, if 60% of your neighbors sign a lease, so do you. No choice. It's probably on its way to PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I will look at the links later, but I have read enough to know this can potentially be an environmental disaster if we don't keep a handle on it. This is the kind of crap we dont want to happen: U.S. halts drilling in Allegheny Forest And the Allegheny Forest should be OFF LIMITS! This is a pristine forest area you may not be familiar with being from Texas, barely touched by man and greedy oil and gas co's would love to rape this land. It's all about money and I'm sick of it!
PA (and WV) needed people like you a hundred years ago. Natural gas is the new coal. Everybody was told how safe it was back then, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 06:31 AM

2,424 posts, read 2,003,280 times
Thanks Creep, I am not some tree hugger, I just want an eye kept on these companies that say they have our best interests at heart, BULL, it's about greed and money and thats it! Natural gas is a wonderfully clean form of energy, but drilling for it can be an environmental nightmare. Heres a question, would the CEO of one of these companies want them drilling in their back yard, I doubt it very much. Millions of gallons of water are contaminated by the fracking process. What do we do with it. One need look no farther than the Kiskiminetas river to see the damage done by years of unchecked irresponsible coal mining. As Reagan once said "trust but verify".

Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 AM

1,896 posts, read 3,074,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I took the time to browse them. A "debunking" site no doubt connected to the industry, and the official site of a corrupt state government bought and sold by carpetbagging environmental rapists like your cohorts. Am I supposed to be impressed?

The guy who made Gasland started with no agenda beyond wanting to learn more about the industry offering him 100k to drill on his family's land. Have you seen it? If you haven't, I have nothing more to discuss with you until you've seen both.

first off, i'm not in business of impressing you, or anyone else here on the forums...the links i posted are factual, and you can do your own fact checks if you care to...if you want to blindly believe any john doe because he appeals to your bleeding heart, by all means, i'm not going to stop you...just be glad you live in a free country.

and no, i haven't seen it...i don't have HBO. speaking of HBO, why wasn't it on regular network TV?? hmmm...seems to me, if he didn't have an agenda, it would have been aired for everyone to view for free, right??

it's simply a one-sided story, that has tons of false accusations...

the fact still remains, Oil and Gas Companies provide an essential need for American's...

AGA: About Natural Gas

also, like you...i'm fed up with corrupt gov't. and i believe it's the corrupt gov't that's the common denominator...if you truly want to ensure Safe Drilling for Natural Gas, stand up to your local Gov't, rather than making a fuss and wasting your time calling Oil and Gas companies "rapists"!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Also, I'm all for you feeding your family, but what's your opinion of forced pooling? To me, it sounds like a gross violation of property rights. To the uninformed, in most states, if 60% of your neighbors sign a lease, so do you. No choice. It's probably on its way to PA.

PA (and WV) needed people like you a hundred years ago. Natural gas is the new coal. Everybody was told how safe it was back then, too.

i'm all for Forced Pooling, and it still leaves a choice for those land owners in a minority...they either agree to a lease, or not. if they agree, they receive a bonus payment...if they don't sign a lease, and are pooled, and the well is productive, then they get paid. by not signing a lease, it ensures that there won't be a well pad on their property.

i can tell you, that it hasn't been much of an issue in our area of activity...

Old 06-25-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Thanks Creep, I am not some tree hugger, I just want an eye kept on these companies that say they have our best interests at heart, BULL, it's about greed and money and thats it! Natural gas is a wonderfully clean form of energy, but drilling for it can be an environmental nightmare. Heres a question, would the CEO of one of these companies want them drilling in their back yard, I doubt it very much. Millions of gallons of water are contaminated by the fracking process. What do we do with it. One need look no farther than the Kiskiminetas river to see the damage done by years of unchecked irresponsible coal mining. As Reagan once said "trust but verify".

just a quick fyi...if i own 200 acres and wish to lease it to an oil and gas company, but refuse to have a well in my "backyard", the oil and gas company has to respecty my wishes.

there are "Non-Access" Leases...

and just to clear the water, i'm not calling anyone a tree hugger...

Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 29,973,062 times
This is sorta beating a dead horse, but I feel compelled to note again that if we don't use shale gas, that very likely means we will use more oil and coal. So when people raise the problems caused by coal mining, or the spill in the Gulf, or so on, that really cuts both ways.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I took the time to browse them. A "debunking" site no doubt connected to the industry, and the official site of a corrupt state government bought and sold by carpetbagging environmental rapists like your cohorts. Am I supposed to be impressed?

The guy who made Gasland started with no agenda beyond wanting to learn more about the industry offering him 100k to drill on his family's land. Have you seen it? If you haven't, I have nothing more to discuss with you until you've seen both.

here ya go bud,

The Joint Landowners Coalition of New York, Inc is also aggresively opposing the movie for its inaccurate portral of the industry and its practices.

DEBUNKING GasLand THE MOVIE (http://www.jlcny.org/site/index.php/news/latest-news-articles/192?limitstart=0 - broken link)

these guys actually do a better job at spelling out the inaccuracies from the film GasLand...

Old 06-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
first off, i'm not in business of impressing you, or anyone else here on the forums...the links i posted are factual, and you can do your own fact checks if you care to...if you want to blindly believe any john doe because he appeals to your bleeding heart, by all means, i'm not going to stop you...just be glad you live in a free country.

and no, i haven't seen it...i don't have HBO. speaking of HBO, why wasn't it on regular network TV?? hmmm...seems to me, if he didn't have an agenda, it would have been aired for everyone to view for free, right??

it's simply a one-sided story, that has tons of false accusations...

the fact still remains, Oil and Gas Companies provide an essential need for American's...

AGA: About Natural Gas

also, like you...i'm fed up with corrupt gov't. and i believe it's the corrupt gov't that's the common denominator...if you truly want to ensure Safe Drilling for Natural Gas, stand up to your local Gov't, rather than making a fuss and wasting your time calling Oil and Gas companies "rapists"!
You can't possibly be so naive that you think that if someone makes a documentary, they handpick how it's distributed or aired. HBO is quite a bit more prestigious than broadcast networks, is known for high quality (unlike, say NBC) and isn't beholden to corporations for advertising dollars. He actually considers himself quite lucky to have been picked up by them. Glad I could inform you of something that I thought was common knowledge.

Also, I'm not a bleeding heart. Also, if you hadn't told me that you worked for the fossil fuel industry, which most certainly has a history of environmental rape (West Virginia mountaintop removal, anyone?), I certainly would have figured it out by now. I stand by what I said about "John Doe" not having an agenda prior to the gas companies knocking on his door. You, on the other hand, obviously have one. With that, I'll stop short of calling you a tool, because that would be a personal attack in addition to being an apt definition.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
here ya go bud,

The Joint Landowners Coalition of New York, Inc is also aggresively opposing the movie for its inaccurate portral of the industry and its practices.

DEBUNKING GasLand THE MOVIE (http://www.jlcny.org/site/index.php/news/latest-news-articles/192?limitstart=0 - broken link)

these guys actually do a better job at spelling out the inaccuracies from the film GasLand...
So a group of people who have been paid by the industry (ie. landowners who haven't been victimized by it...yet) "debunk" things that were caught on video. Great, more power to them.

Is that all you've got?

Edit: and Gasland is most certainly not a one-sided story. You're talking about something you haven't even seen yet. Fueling Pittsburgh was one-sided to the point of being a commercial.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:15 AM

20,273 posts, read 29,973,062 times
Although I wouldn't necessarily trust those sources blindly, they do cite independent sources for several of the things they claim Gasland got wrong. Conversely, just because Gasland may have gotten some things wrong, that doesn't mean it doesn't contain any truths or insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh