Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:03 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

After years of admiring your fair city from afar the stars and planets have finally aligned themselves in such a manner that it looks as if I'll be spending potentially two weekends per month (if not more) in Pittsburgh! Having grown up in Scranton I always saw the Steel City as being a larger version of my hometown---only more educated, open to change, and progressive ideas and much less racist/homophobic. A friend here in Virginia introduced me to someone in Squirrel Hill, and we've really hit it off! Since after a year of living in Reston, VA I still haven't fallen in love with the sterility of the place I wouldn't think twice about putting in for a transfer and taking the plunge permanently. My salary, which would only decrease negligibly in Pittsburgh, could net me a nice brick rowhome in the Mexican War Streets. In Reston I can barely afford a 1-BR apartment. It's disgusting. It took me an hour to drive 7 miles this morning to work. There's very little charm, character, history, or soul here.

I'm so happy! After nearly committing suicide earlier this year after years of severe depression it looks like I'm finally going to be making this amazing city my reality!

I'm hoping to dream tonight of Pirates games, Penguins games, Primanti Bros., your sexy accents, kayaking near the Golden Triangle, doing photo tours all over the city, and calling soda "pop!"

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 06-22-2010 at 07:40 PM..

Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
Welcome!!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Having grown up in Scranton I always saw the Steel City as being a larger version of my hometown---only more educated, open to change, and progressive ideas and much less racist/homophobic.

Progressive, non-racist, and non-homophobic. I can't tell you how many people have described Western PA like that. It's something we all take a lot of pride in.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,351 times
Welcome to the 'burgh!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Progressive, non-racist, and non-homophobic. I can't tell you how many people have described Western PA like that.
Well, to count that high, it may require you to remove your shoes and socks...

Old 06-22-2010, 07:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
Welcome to the 'burgh!

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Progressive, non-racist, and non-homophobic. I can't tell you how many people have described Western PA like that. It's something we all take a lot of pride in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Well, to count that high, it may require you to remove your shoes and socks...
I'm well aware of Pittsburgh's horribly negative image, but I find that this is largely perpetuated by city natives who don't appreciate how good they have it and attempt to steer away "outsiders" who are ambitious, idealistic, and want to do a lot of good things for the city. There are tons of Pittsburgh (and Scranton for that matter) expatriates living in Northern Virginia. Most moved here solely for employment reasons, and I've spoken to several who miss the blue-collar roots, architecture, charm, and down-to-earth aura about Pittsburgh. Many wouldn't have left Pittsburgh if it had a better vocational outlook. NoVA, on the other hand, is horribly pretentious (which I suppose comes with the territory of having six-figure median household incomes). Imagine Cranberry Township, spread that out for miles, and you have NoVA.

A season of "Q*ueer as Folk" was set in Pittsburgh, and my LGBT contacts in the Steel City tell me that they rarely encounter any hostility. I'd suspect any racial tensions to be based upon fear (due to lack of exposure to minorities) than sheer hatred, and as the city becomes increasingly diverse I'm sure the population will grow more tolerant as the old-timers meet these new faces and realize they aren't anything to be afraid of. Believe it or not Pittsburgh is very progressive by Pennsylvania standards. There's a thread on the NEPA sub-forum right now where people literally ARE still clinging to dying blue-collar Industrial-Era jobs and putting me down because I'm condemning the area for not diversifying its job market to help retain college graduates such as myself and my peers (nearly all of whom have left). Guess who has been right on that point all along, as Scranton's unemployment rate is now in the double-digits.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Is this ScranBarre? If so, ignore the yinzer trolls and welcome aboard! It's a great place to live.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Hey Pal, you get your homo butt to Pgh and this hetero will gladly buy you a beer or two and a Primanti sandwich. This town is diverse an'at.

Hey, YAC, I'm serious.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
Welcome! Gay guy transplant from Ohio here that has never encountered any hostility. It's true. I can't see you having any issues.

My advice to get the best out of your experience living here: find some small part of Pittsburgh you want to help make better and dig in with us. You'll be amazed how many friends you rack up with the same attitude.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
your sexy accents,
Jesus, I'm going to be sick....................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh