Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:41 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,076,582 times

Advertisements

Here's a great article highlighting the ongoing revitalization of this interesting little town in the western burbs:

Coraopolis Revitalization
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 10:08 PM

522 posts, read 1,790,026 times
Interesting indeed. Still, I drove through Coraopolis today and I must say...I didn't see a whole lot of "revitalization"...at least not outwardly. Terrible schools will be a deterrent to any would-be money coming across the river from Sewickley. I always thought it had so much potential...the two main streets (4th and 5th ?) if "revitalized" could be something like downtown Beaver or Walnut Street in Shadyside...its just got that walkable vibe. Alas, most of what's there is in horrible shape, and it is one of the few places outside of the city I've seen prostitution being offered so openly. It's got a long way to go.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:38 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,797,609 times
I see this thread is a year old, but would like an honest opinion on Coraopolis.
I'm sure it's not on the same level as McKeesport, and to the other extreme, Sewickley, but on a level from 1 to 10 with McKeesport being 1 and Sewickley a 10 where would you place Coraopolis?

Old 08-07-2011, 04:34 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,360,194 times
6.5 it is alot less shady now days and unlike McKeesport with 20 homicides in 3.5yrs, Coraopolis has none. Plus Coraopolis actually has business streets where you dont see crack heads and people with red bandanas in their right pant pocket!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:24 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,997,453 times
Coraopolis is a very safe and quiet suburban river town. It's an older town with lots of historic buildings. It was probably built up in the early 1900s. It's not in bad shape at all, but like most river towns in the area, has declined from what it once was.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:09 PM

Well I grew up knowing youth from Coraopolis its definatly not very safe... Their are quite a few hardend kids from disadventaged homes that have strong rotes in Ambridge, McKees Rocks, & Aliquippa. Some streets are iffy by night time due to drug activity & prostitution. Yet the crime rate is low and even living on the worst street is absolutly tolerable. Coraopolis isnt Sewickley though...

Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 PM

22,326 posts, read 47,272,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Coraopolis is a very safe and quiet suburban river town. It's an older town with lots of historic buildings. It was probably built up in the early 1900s. It's not in bad shape at all, but like most river towns in the area, has declined from what it once was.

Agreed!

My son bought a house there last year.
NO problems at all!
He is a runner and has never felt unsafe, no matter what time he runs.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 PM

22,326 posts, read 47,272,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Their are quite a few hardend kids from disadventaged homes that have strong rotes in Ambridge, McKees Rocks, & Aliquippa.

LOL! Way to generalize!

I am one of those " hardend kids from disadventaged homes that have strong rotes in Ambridge, McKees Rocks, & Aliquippa."

I am from the Linmar section of Aliquippa.

Yet I have no police record, do not use drugs, never committed a crime. Imagine that!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:46 PM

I'm not saying that all kids who grow up in what are today's rough neighborhoods are hoodlums since my college educated parents aren't (St Clair Village/Hill District/Beltzhoover & SE DC/Garfield) but the kids I knew who currently sell or are addicted to drugs have heavy roots in those areas. And I assume they aren't the only ones in their neighborhood who do the same things...

Look I know Linmar Terrace, Aliquippa/Crestview Terrace, Ambridge/McKees Rocks are not the safest places, but I'm sure they're full of good people of all ages...
Why?
Most of my family (on both sides) live in gang neighborhoods around the city and the country. Quite a few of them have rap sheets, but most of them don't!

My bad I could have said what I wanted to say in a less general way.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,997,453 times
Okay, I'm just going to say it.

Initially, I was a little afraid to come right out and say it, because I felt like, well, I've only lived here so long, etc., etc.

Well, I've lived in McKees Rocks going on two years now.

Here is the big news: McKees Rocks is safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh