Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 AM

49 posts, read 190,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you haven't closed on that property yet, I'd hold off to see if that grave may cause a problem. You want to make sure it's a buildable lot.
We have a lawyer looking into it, he thinks it is non issue since a lot of builders build on old plots. We are not digging up that part of the yard anyway, it is really in the back, no where near any building. However, I am not taking any chances. We don't even know for sure if there is any burial they're my husband said it is sideways on the ground, it could of been moved from somewhere else. At any rate, it is very strange and my realtor said he has NEVER had this before.. this land has been interesting to say the least..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:57 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,758 times
In over 30 years of digging holes in the ground, that's a new one on me.

I did once do some work on a property where the owner cautioned me that the previous owner had buried a couple of horses out in the pasture, and once we found a not so long ago buried dog, just across the property line from his owner's yard--you don't want to know any more of the details on that one.

Quote:
We don't even know for sure if there is any burial they're my husband said it is sideways on the ground, it could of been moved from somewhere else.
Seriously, I'd be looking for any signs of a depression in the ground there. Modern graves contain a concrete burial vault, into which the casket is placed, but in the old days, the proverbial "pine box" was not uncommon. Those will deteriorate over time, and allow the ground to settle. From conversations with some guys who've worked in graveyards, I understand that they sometimes have to go in and disinter the remains, and place them in a smaller container, and rebury that, filling the grave so that the ground is even.

Also, I'd be sure to mention to your excavator what you found. Often, an experienced operator can tell the difference between disturbed earth and undisturbed, especially if they're looking for it. That might save one of my fellow ditchdiggers from having a heart attack....

Old 06-28-2010, 06:27 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Could be a cenotaph, too -- just a memorial marker where the family could go, but no body there. Lots of reasons for that -- lost at sea, MIA, buried overseas --the family had no way to get there or there was there to get to, and this way they had a place to go and pray, or remember and celebrate this person's life.

I'd ask the cousin....

Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times
I remember a story out of Cleveland a few years ago where family found a headstone in their yard. Turns out something engraved on it was an error so it wasn't really being used as a marker, just ended up in the yard at some point because it couldn't be used. The stone w/the correct engraving was in the cemetery.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 AM

49 posts, read 190,371 times
Quote:
Often, an experienced operator can tell the difference between disturbed earth and undisturbed, especially if they're looking for it. That might save one of my fellow ditchdiggers from having a heart attack....
I will make sure I tell them about the situation, the demo guy is a great guy and I would hate for something to happen like that. I am going over there tomorrow for testing and will review what my husband found. Our realtor told me we have had one of the worst cases of trying to buy land he has ever come across. We are going on three months under contract for this land and have had a ton of dicking around by people. We had a soil scientist come out whom tried to scam us, telling us we needed a stream dispersal system, and that it was cheaper than a sand mound. She told my husband all these lies and then had him fill in all the pits we paid the digger to have open. She told my husband the soil was bad, and because I told her off, she now has the DEP coming out. I have the county and DEP out there tomorrow to review the property and have to bring all emails showing what this woman did. The DEP wants to check the pits, but they are closed, so the DEP is going to have to open them with shovels, they are going to be pissed off at her.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:06 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,758 times
Quote:
The DEP wants to check the pits, but they are closed, so the DEP is going to have to open them with shovels,
I'll be very surprised if they do that. I'd be a whole lot less surprised if they tell you to get your guy to open them up again and then you make another appointment with them...

Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 933 times
This is not that uncommon in old homes. I have a double plot in my back yard, two young girls who died in May of 1896. I asked my Laywer about it, he had already researched this situation for another client. He said that I could move or remove the headstone as I wished but could not disuturb the grave without a court order, which would be pointless after 120 years there probably wouldn't be anything left. He also told me that its not required to disclose the fact that there is a grave when you sell the property. I restored the gravesite as best I could & treat it as a piece of history.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:16 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,101 times
Just so you're aware, it's quite possibly a family grave site. You found one stone but other markers could be gone. There could be many more graves in that area.

I don't know what town you're in but I'd suggest you check with the local Historical Society. If you give them the name on the marker, they may be able to track it down and also give information about the person and the site.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 AM

349 posts, read 616,123 times
Sirjames, that's awesome. I'd love to see a pic of it!

And I agree with RyanR, it could be a family gravesite, but with only one solid marker. Checking out the property would be a good idea.

Interesting post, if nothing else. And LOL @ the zombie comments... I needed that laugh today. Thank you.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,541,469 times
Most of the land in and around Pittsburgh had farms on it before it developed as neighborhoods. You can find the names and locations of some of these on historical maps of the area.

When I was a kid, we lived down the street from two elderly sisters whose family owned a good part of Mt. Lebanon before it was developed. And as a teenager, there was still a farmhouse on the land owned by a family who had sold off a large piece oft heir property that is Upper St. Clair.

You may be near one of the old farmhouses from the 1800's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh