U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,921 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been reading this board for a few weeks, but just found out that I am indeed getting relocated to Pittsburgh in the next few weeks. My wife and I are working with a realtor, but hoping to get some second opinions about parts of town.

My wife and I are looking for a 4 or 5 bedroom house that is somewhere below $280K. Ideally, we'd like to be in a good school district, but it seems like most of the school districts there are better than where we are coming from. Right now, we're looking at Cranberry Twp down to Allison Park, but I just noticed some properties in Glenshaw that looked inexpensive, closer to downtown (where I will mostly be working), and seemed to be a bit bigger in terms of square footage.

So, a few questions:

1) What is Glenshaw like? Is it less expensive for a reason?

2) Does anyone know of a drop-in daycare place for date nights anywhere in Pittsburgh? Since we won't know anyone when we move, we'd like to use a group babysitting place, if possible.

3) Are most people using Comcast for internet, or is Verizon Fios an option anywhere?

4) For those of you who might recently have relocated, what is the one thing you wish you would have known before you relocated?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 12:21 PM

6,442 posts, read 7,872,182 times
Quote:
3) Are most people using Comcast for internet, or is Verizon Fios an option anywhere?

4) For those of you who might recently have relocated, what is the one thing you wish you would have known before you relocated?
Verizon Fios is an option, if you go to their website and attempt to sign up, it will check the address you put in for service availability.

If you do not have much experience with Pittsburgh, it might be best to rent first and figure out which areas you like best later. There are going to be varied things that people wish they had known before they relocated; why not find out about them before you put down such permanent roots?

Anyway, I don't know much about the residential areas of Glenshaw, but I can say that it is decently located, and you could be avoiding tunnels and highways when coming into the city, which are the major source of bottlenecks when commuting.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:23 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,957,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoug View Post
1) What is Glenshaw like? Is it less expensive for a reason?
Glenshaw actually is kind of nice up on the hill. There are quaint older homes and it's safe. My only hesitation would be that the only way to get to downtown from there is on Route 28. 28 is a nightmare during rush hour.

For $280,000 you can get a very nice house in the Pittsburgh area with very good schools. It all depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for McMansion-y suburbs? Older suburbs? Rural suburbs? Might I suggest anywhere along the 279 north corrider going up from the city (Ross and North Hills specifically). Ross has anywhere from $80,000 starter homes to million dollar mansions, but it is decidedly middle to upper-middle class. The school districts are good up there. Cranberry and Wexford are newer and more McMansion-y and Big-Box store-y (also much farther away from the city).

To the west is Pine and Moon. To the east is Plum and Murrysville. I advise steering clear of the south because there are only a few arteries into the city and it gets jam-packed during rush hour (unless you live near the T...which is a whole other story).

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM

9,151 posts, read 9,774,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoug View Post
Are most people using Comcast for internet, or is Verizon Fios an option anywhere?
I have lived in three different neighborhoods in the city of Pittsburgh, and I don't think Fios cable has ever been available to me. I last checked in April, 2010. FWIW, I have been a customer of both companies over the past decade, and I find Comcast much easier to deal with in terms of customer and tech support.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:29 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,957,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have lived in three different neighborhoods in the city of Pittsburgh, and I don't think Fios cable has ever been available to me. I last checked in April, 2010. FWIW, I have been a customer of both companies over the past decade, and I find Comcast much easier to deal with in terms of customer and tech support.
The next time you call Comcast ask why my cable/internet bill is always going up and is now over $150 a month.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 30,771,023 times
We have FiOS out in Wilkinsburg, and I like it a LOT better than Comcast. And the gap is going to keep growing: copper wire just has so much less capacity, and Comcast is already being forced to degrade its HD channels in order to offer enough HD channels to be competitive. More HD channels, more people doing HD content on-demand, more streaming Internet use--all that is going to overwhelm cable systems in dense areas eventually.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:24 PM

9,151 posts, read 9,774,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
The next time you call Comcast ask why my cable/internet bill is always going up and is now over $150 a month.
That's how much mine is, too. I have 2 cable boxes (only one is HD), phone, and internet. They say their internet service is __ times faster than everyone else's but I notice no difference.

Do you have HD TVs? Do you find having so many channels difficult? I've had an HDTV for two months, and I've memorized almost none of the new channel numbers. Does anyone know why there are two sets of HD channels?

Old 07-02-2010, 02:54 PM

6 posts, read 9,219 times
Doug,

Please check you PM.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:54 PM

20,273 posts, read 30,771,023 times
We've gotten to know the HD channels we use, and pretty much ignore the rest. We use the search function more now, because it can be quicker than trying to use the guide.

I'm not sure what you mean by two sets of HD channels--we don't have duplicate HD channels (although we do have East and West versions of certain channels).

Old 07-02-2010, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 9,219 times
Doug, please check your PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh