Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:13 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

The towns in the Monongahela River valley have had several decades to get their **** together. They have largely failed to do so. "Outsiders" couldn't possibly do any worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 12:24 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
This nut is even against the Mon-Fayette expressway linking to the parkway in Braddock because some of his town's "ancient ruins" might be torn down...
Oh yeah, because the MFE (add an "R" at the end of that abbreviation and you have my sentiments about it) would actually help out steel towns like Braddock, Rankin, and Hazelwood just like the Parkway North helped out the North Side neighborhoods, Reserve Twp., Perry, etc.

And to think people call the North Shore Connector a boondoggle...

Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
And what is up with the love for the old ugly factory buildings? I don't understand the reason why this region doesn't want those things torn down. You see it all over the area, these ugly abandoned factories by rivers. Tear it down and build a park or upscale housing/retail.
If they can fix an old factory and make them into nice lofts, why not? If they are falling apart and are beyond repair, I say by all means tear it down.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:50 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
The MFE is a terrible idea all around, and would be particularly bad for places like Braddock.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Well then, if we're not going to build the Mon-Fayette Expressway, can we at least WIDEN THE ****ING PARKWAY WEST?! Even if it means diverting the extra lanes off through the West End and over the West End Bridge, WIDEN IT!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:02 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Besides, I don't think Levi's would be centering their new ad campaign around Braddock without someone like Fetterman getting the attention he has.
Info on the campaign and what Levi's is doing in Braddock

And the beautifully done commercial

Old 07-06-2010, 03:38 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
To think that he wants to "save" all those rundown homes and buildings is laughable. Braddock will never, ever be what it was. Sure, some historic buildings can be salvaged, but to save the houses...is he serious?!?! What's the demand for a 2 BR 985sqft home in Braddock that needs about $120k worth of repairs? If he had any sense at all he would take some of the money he's mooched off of the gov't and foundations to tear down those homes. Then he'd spend the rest of his time trying to get real estate companies and a few local businesses to build some cheap townhouses and a few stores there to get things rolling again.
I admire Fetterman and think he is doing a great job bringing attention to a neglected town. I also agree with Fetterman about saving the existing structures -- enough have been demolished.

Those 2 BR, 985 sq ft homes are very economical to own. I have one of my own in McKees Rocks. It was a full rehab when I bought it (for practically nothing). I have about $18,000 into it altogether, and it has turned into a very nice home that I can be proud of.

These communities are great for people who want to save money and also feel like they are giving back to their community.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post

And what is up with the love for the old ugly factory buildings? I don't understand the reason why this region doesn't want those things torn down. You see it all over the area, these ugly abandoned factories by rivers. Tear it down and build a park or upscale housing/retail.
Because those historic factory buildings are uniquely Pittsburgh, and part of the city's unique historic past and industrial ambience.

They are so much more interesting than your typical vinyl village or sterile big box retail.

But if you don't get it, you don't get it.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:45 PM

That is a fantastic commercial. It's one of the best commercials I have ever seen! I wish they would do one for McKees Rocks, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Besides, I don't think Levi's would be centering their new ad campaign around Braddock without someone like Fetterman getting the attention he has.
Info on the campaign and what Levi's is doing in Braddock

And the beautifully done commercial

Old 07-06-2010, 04:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I admire Fetterman and think he is doing a great job bringing attention to a neglected town. I also agree with Fetterman about saving the existing structures -- enough have been demolished.

Those 2 BR, 985 sq ft homes are very economical to own. I have one of my own in McKees Rocks. It was a full rehab when I bought it (for practically nothing). I have about $18,000 into it altogether, and it has turned into a very nice home that I can be proud of.

These communities are great for people who want to save money and also feel like they are giving back to their community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Because those historic factory buildings are uniquely Pittsburgh, and part of the city's unique historic past and industrial ambience.

They are so much more interesting than your typical vinyl village or sterile big box retail.

But if you don't get it, you don't get it.
A man after my own heart! (Sigh!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh