Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:45 PM

92 posts, read 145,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Are you guys all for it coming down if the only thing there for the next 5-10 years or longer is a parking lot (or empty lot), plus the street grid reconnected? That's what I foresee happening. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
Also a YES vote for me ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 03:19 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
In order for the development process to get going, a master plan for the area including the fate of the Arena needs to be put in place first. I suppose you could hold off actually demo'ing it for a little longer, but that is some of the first land that is likely to be developed so you aren't talking for long anyway.

By the way, I've been following the process pretty closely, including reading the minutes from the meetings they have been holding. I'm not aware of any substantial number of people fitting the description above (people trying to keep the Arena in place to block development of the Lower Hill). Instead, the pro-Arena people tend to be non-Hill people who think the building is worth saving (for historic, environmental, or so on, reasons). That's not to say there is no concern among people on the Hill about gentrification, but for various reasons they are not pro-Arena anyway.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
In order to restore the original street grid, the old arena must go.
Thank you. I keep wondering what the purpose of saving the arena was if the Hill leaders want to reconnect the Hill to downtown.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:12 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I'm okay with it going as long as something useful and worthwhile is put up in its place SOON. Are you guys all for it coming down if the only thing there for the next 5-10 years or longer is a parking lot (or empty lot), plus the street grid reconnected? That's what I foresee happening. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

There is an incentive to build the site. This was put into place to prevent what happened development wise around Three Rivers Stadium over a thirty year period. That would be zilch, despite renderings from the late 1960s showing hotels, offices etc. Why did this happen? Was it the city's poor image of the Smoky City still fresh in outside investors mind's? Was it crooked politicians and/or Alco parking lot owners who had these politicians on the take. I find it hard to believe that they could be given so much valuable urban property and not develop a single thing over thirty years.
Anyway, for those not informed. The Pittsburgh Penguins, who have been given exclusive development rights to the twenty-eight acres of the Mellon Arena property, have to develop a minimum of 2.8 acres per year after Mellon Arena is razed. 2.8 X 10 equals 28. In other words, the entire site has to be fully developed within ten years after tearing the building down. If 2.8 acres or more is not developed, the Penguins face stifff fines.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:19 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Some of them, I'm told, want to keep the Hill the way it is,

What's would that be? A predominantly squalid neighborhood? Ok, let's cave in to their needs, even though they often, not always, are unrealistic.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:29 PM

353 posts, read 825,937 times
Personally, I have no emotional attachment to it. It's a hideous building, that is not worth saving, in my mind. It's far better to fill the space back in with development and reconnect the Hill District with Downtown.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:14 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoulty View Post
personally, i have no emotional attachment to it. It's a hideous building, that is not worth saving, in my mind. It's far better to fill the space back in with development and reconnect the hill district with downtown.
Butt it was bilt with Picksbrugh still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Old 07-06-2010, 06:25 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Let's be honest, it'll be yet another haven of corporate shops/hotels that seem to pop up here every single time there's an empty space.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:23 AM

780 posts, read 1,385,198 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Let's be honest, it'll be yet another haven of corporate shops/hotels that seem to pop up here every single time there's an empty space.
And your point is?

Old 07-06-2010, 07:33 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
The plan is for a mix of offices, residential, and retail (with an entertainment focus). I hope the retail isn't all "corporate", but I don't mind if some of it is.

Incidentally, I do understand why people are skeptical after the North Shore fiasco. But at the same time, I don't think that is reason enough to just give up on redevelopment in Pittsburgh. Instead, it is reason to make sure we are forcing people with development rights to use them.

Moreover, I do think it is worth noting the context is very different today. Since around 2000 or so, Downtown as a residential neighborhood has started to take off. Meanwhile, today Pittsburgh has among the lowest apartment vacancy rates in the country, Downtown has among the lowest office vacancy rates in the country for a central business district, and the vacancy rate in Oakland is effectively zero. So I think there is clearly a need for a development like this, and thus it shouldn't be an act of charity--people should be making money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh