Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I don't know. Ground breaking was "imminent" on a few occasions. It had been planned for a few years and had a lot of momentum and had passed the conceptual stage by far. As it stands, the Mellon Financial Service Center that straddles Ross probably has almost as much square footage as both of those tweny-eight story office buildings at 650,000 square feet. Those towers are pretty narrow. There was big hole in the ground on this site for over a decade. Some may remember how it was boarded up throughout the 1990s until the park was built and Mellon broke ground earlier in the millenium.
I suppose there was no realistic demand for that much development at the time, until Mellon stepped up to the plate.
You're right about the square footage of the MCSC- 650K without the garage. Those lower levels that span 6th are about 86K each- thats about 1/2 the total new square footage. 28 stories at a modest area of say 16K sq. ft. per floor would total a little over 450K. You would need about another 12 stories with the same footprint to reach 650K.

Last edited by stevo6; 07-13-2010 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 PM

119 posts, read 460,288 times
What a great find! While the towers would have been nice, I'm glad they didn't pull a Cleveland with the enclosed downtown mall, which would have surely flopped. I must say I got a kick out of the article on the opposite page about the upcoming closures on the Parkway West. With the exception of mentioning Three Rivers Stadium, you could probably cut and paste that blurb into tomorrow's paper and it would pass as completely accurate.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:04 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtPGH View Post
What a great find! While the towers would have been nice, I'm glad they didn't pull a Cleveland with the enclosed downtown mall, which would have surely flopped. I must say I got a kick out of the article on the opposite page about the upcoming closures on the Parkway West. With the exception of mentioning Three Rivers Stadium, you could probably cut and paste that blurb into tomorrow's paper and it would pass as completely accurate.
I'm a fan of miniature enclosed downtown malls, like Fifth Avenue Place. I think that you're right, though, a full scale enclosed mall downtown would probably fail.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:53 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Oxford Centre has a mini-mall too.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
I think we learned the lesson of the downtown enclosed mall concept. Especially from Cleveland and Columbus. They were all the rage for a while in the 80s and early 90s. Cleveland's Tower City is now composed of T-shirt shops and souvenir stores (they opened with Barneys and Calvin Klein), and Columbus City Center is completely shut down (opened with Jacobson's and Marshall Field and an attached Lazarus). You just can't replicate a suburban mall in the middle of a city. Some have worked, like Market East in Philadelphia, but it's connected to a huge transit station and the Center City population nearby is huge. But it's still basically a mid-level mall with K Mart and Burlington.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 AM

Ironically, the suburban/rural shopping mall was intended to simulate the experience of a walkable downtown shopping district, but with a more convenient location for the relevant market. That is part of what is so strange about attempts to build such malls in downtowns--why have the simulation when you can have the real thing?

And I honestly think on some level people sense that strangeness. Meanwhile, it isn't possible for downtown malls to compete on convenience of location, so they don't actually duplicate the real value of suburban/rural malls anyway.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Ironically, the suburban/rural shopping mall was intended to simulate the experience of a walkable downtown shopping district, but with a more convenient location for the relevant market. That is part of what is so strange about attempts to build such malls in downtowns--why have the simulation when you can have the real thing?
I think what happened is that by the time such malls were being built in downtowns, the suburban ones were so popular that it was assumed that's what people wanted everywhere. And actually, in the 80s and into the 90s, maybe the 70s too, they were probably right, at least for a lot of people in a lot of places.

At this stage even in the suburbs they don't necessarily go straight for the enclosed mall anymore. Some of the enclosed malls still out there do just fine, while others no longer do. The peak of popularity the large indoor mall was likely in the late 80s or early 90s.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 AM

398 posts, read 702,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I think we learned the lesson of the downtown enclosed mall concept. Especially from Cleveland and Columbus. They were all the rage for a while in the 80s and early 90s. Cleveland's Tower City is now composed of T-shirt shops and souvenir stores (they opened with Barneys and Calvin Klein), and Columbus City Center is completely shut down (opened with Jacobson's and Marshall Field and an attached Lazarus). You just can't replicate a suburban mall in the middle of a city.
I don't think this is an accurate diagnosis. Can't speak to Tower City (except for visiting a few times in its heyday and loving it), but the problem with City Center was hardly that a "suburban mall" or an enclosed mall couldn't work in the city. It remained wildly popular and high end for many, many years.

The problem was just the lack of good urban planning and the over-proliferation of other malls. They built Tuttle Crossing, they built Easton, they built Polaris, and as nice as CC was, people weren't willing to travel downtown anymore. Enclosed, open, larger, smaller whatever, it couldn't survive against an onslaught of inner-suburb super-shopping areas built in exactly the wealthy suburbs that CC drew its customers from.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:40 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
I think we learned the lesson of the downtown enclosed mall concept. Especially from Cleveland and Columbus.
Even our own Station Square as a shopping center was a big flop. When I first moved to Pittsburgh there were some regular mall stores in there, like the Limited. Now it's postcard shops for tourists.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
Enclosed, open, larger, smaller whatever, it couldn't survive against an onslaught of inner-suburb super-shopping areas built in exactly the wealthy suburbs that CC drew its customers from.
But that's the point--you can't beat suburban shopping malls at their own game. However, I don't think you can necessarily extrapolate from that point to the view that all downtown retail is hopeless--it just has to take a different form (in fact I was just reading about how Pittsburgh's Downtown retail vacancy rate has been declining recently).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh