Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:34 AM

49 posts, read 162,664 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We live in York County, PA and I might have a job transfer to Pittsburgh. We'd like to be in Washington County, for ease of travel down to Maryland.

What's it like in the little towns off I-70, like in the Bentleyville area? is it small-town living, like Maybury?

Last but not least, I've heard the winters are much harsher on the western end of PA, compared to the Harrisburg area. Would driving into the city in the winter be horrendous?

Thanks for any information you can pass on.
kaydeb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:05 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
I've never been to Bentleyville but I have a friend who lives there. He says that it's a text book post-industrial Pennsylvania town that's a bit depressed and there's not much going on. Also, according to him jobs are VERY slim there so that's always something to consider.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I don't think the winters are necessarily harsher. Some years you get more snow in the east. Some years more here. Really depends. I would call it even.

Main concern so far is that if you literally mean Pittsburgh (job in or very near city) then Bentleyville is one of the most inconvenient places you could live in Washington County. If, instead, the job is well south of the city, then maybe that doesn't matter. Since you say transfer, I assume you would know where the office/facility is located already and maybe have worked that out. But it's an hour drive (maybe a little over actually) to the city proper even if there's zero traffic.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:53 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I don't think the winters are necessarily harsher. Some years you get more snow in the east. Some years more here. Really depends. I would call it even.

Main concern so far is that if you literally mean Pittsburgh (job in or very near city) then Bentleyville is one of the most inconvenient places you could live in Washington County. If, instead, the job is well south of the city, then maybe that doesn't matter. Since you say transfer, I assume you would know where the office/facility is located already and maybe have worked that out. But it's an hour drive (maybe a little over actually) to the city proper even if there's zero traffic.
One thing to consider about Bentleyville and winter. I lived on California for four years and winter can be tough down there. It's closer to the Laural Highlands than the rest of metro Pittsburgh, so they do get more snow that way. Also, it's fairly rural so snow removal is not a swift or thorough as more suburban areas. Overall it's a nice area and has recovered some economically, but it can be nasty if there is heavy winter snow.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
I don't know anything about Bentleyville. I personally go out of my way to avoid driving on I-70. It's highly uncomfortable for some reason -- perhaps because of that concrete median barrier that stretches for miles and miles. Personal preference, of course. I would be looking at the I-79 corridor around Washington, PA for easier access into (assuming you meant Pittsburgh) the city. To get to Maryland, you can shoot down 79 South and hook up to 68 East -- very pretty drive.

Last edited by DaBurgh; 07-25-2010 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-26-2010, 01:47 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,863 times
What DaBurgh didn't mention is that it's MUCH longer distance to take 79 South to 68 East from Morgantown, WV towards Maryland. 70 East to 76/70 East (PA Turnpike) would be your more quicker route.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
What DaBurgh didn't mention is that it's MUCH longer distance to take 79 South to 68 East from Morgantown, WV towards Maryland. 70 East to 76/70 East (PA Turnpike) would be your more quicker route.
Totally depends upon where you're going in MD. In fact for most of the closest places neither of those would be preferable. You'd want to take US 40, which goes down at an angle and comes out to I-68 north of Oakland, MD. Now if you mean anywhere from Hancock (where I-70 and I-68 meet) and eastward, then the Turnpike is faster.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:30 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
I didn't feel it was necessary to mention something that the original poster probably already knew and/or can easily decipher by looking at a google map.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:57 PM

22 posts, read 84,752 times
Default Why Bentleyville?

I grew up in Washington County and it seems that many of the towns have gone downhill. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. Have you thought about the Greensburg area? My sister lives in Hempfield township and loves it. I know that you mentioned Washington County/access to 70 but not sure how desirable many of the neighborhoods have become.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 AM

49 posts, read 162,664 times
Hello all,
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your views on the interstate travel, too. I have family in lancaster pa and southern maryland, so accessibility is important to me.

most of our family are older relatives, and just last weekend my mother's air conditioner went out and we had to jump on the freeway to get to her house to find a repair service. [long story short, her furnace went out several years ago, and she was unscrupulously taken advantage of financially so now we handle repair issues for her.]

RLSS asked "why bentleyville". I guess the reason was, in looking at the google map, it was just off 70, and 25 miles south of the city.

one of the posters said something about the roads not being attended to quickly during snowstorms. In York County it's something of a "commando" operation during winter months. If people can't get to work due to impassible roads, especially those traveling north on 83 to harrisburg or south on 83 to baltimore/washington D.C., there's heck to pay.

I'm used to a commute, we live in a rural suburb now. I guess I kind of need that transition from working in a city to living outside of the city, to help decompress from the stress of my work. [if that makes any sense].

I appreciate all of your replies. please feel free to comment more. I am continuing to explore all options.

k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh