Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 AM

46 posts, read 72,058 times

Advertisements

Are the side streets around Ellsworth Ave and S Highland Ave nice areas? What is that area even called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTrail23 View Post
Are the side streets around Ellsworth Ave and S Highland Ave nice areas? What is that area even called?
Are you talking about streets like Spahr, Lehigh, and Alder? If so, that is all still part of Shadyside:

My very first apartment in Pittsburgh was actually on Spahr. It is definitely a nice little corner: a little farther from some of the action on Walnut, but closer to the Highland commercial area and the new retail scene in East Liberty.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Are you talking about streets like Spahr, Lehigh, and Alder? If so, that is all still part of Shadyside:

My very first apartment in Pittsburgh was actually on Spahr. It is definitely a nice little corner: a little farther from some of the action on Walnut, but closer to the Highland commercial area and the new retail scene in East Liberty.
This is a nice map, Brian. Where did you find it? TIA.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
This is a nice map, Brian. Where did you find it? TIA.
You can get "official" maps of all the City neighborhoods here:

Neighborhood Map List Map

You can also use this overall map of the neighborhoods, and click on the one you are interested in:

Pittsburgh Map

Note from any neighborhood map page you can also click on a link to get a zoomable, printable PDF map.

The only issue with all this is that the "official" boundaries don't always line up with common usage, which I gather is in part a census tract issue (the "official" maps line up with census tracts, but common usage may not).

Old 08-09-2010, 01:27 PM

That IS a great map. Anywho, I have been talking to some people who live in/around PGH and they say that Shady is a changing neighborhood. Basically that it used to be nice and there are still some parts that are nice, but you have to be careful where in Shady to live.

Some of the places that have been recco'd are outside of the city. Places like North Hills, Greentree, North Park, Robinson and Mars. Any thoughts on these places?

This process is quite tough w\o actually being familiar with the city or the area, but we are doing our best and should be able to get on the ground sometime next week.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:14 PM

There is nowhere in Shadyside that is a bad place to live or is declining. I'm not sure who these people are or what exactly they said, but I would note there is a lot of disinformation out there from people who don't currently live near the areas they are talking about, or who reporting outdated impressions, or so on.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:27 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Quote:
Basically that it used to be nice and there are still some parts that are nice, but you have to be careful where in Shady to live.
You must be talking to suburbanites who quake in fear at the thought of "living in the city". Every inch of Shadyside in safe. The only thing to worry about is locking your stuff up because thieves like to hit that part of town because people have money and there are so many short-time residents in the neighborhood that people don't watch out for one another too much.

Quote:
Some of the places that have been recco'd are outside of the city. Places like North Hills, Greentree, North Park, Robinson and Mars. Any thoughts on these places?
All safe and boring suburban places with good schools and one mall-like drag nearby.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:42 PM

156 posts, read 296,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I think, depending upon your definition of easy airport access, you will have to give up one or more things. Sewickley is certainly a town with walkable area, easy access to airport, not too far from downtown Pittsburgh (about 20 minute drive), but you're not going to find lofts, or really that many good rentals, perhaps. Ditto Mt Lebanon (although Mt Lebanon is actually not as close to the airport), although more rentals there I think.

The Strip is fine but going to be harder to get to the airport. At $1200, I don't think Cork Factory is really in your price range. I don't think the train traffic is heavy, if it is still active there. If it is, it would be very slow. The tracks don't continue much beyond there towards downtown, but they go far enough to get to the produce terminal and such. The active tracks are a few blocks away. You might hear something, but it will still be slow traffic, nothing loud and not right outside. Now if you were talking about the Brake House, say, well that is a few blocks closer to the train. Eh. I dunno. I used to live right up the cliff from a very active train corridor along the Ohio River, and it never bothered me. I don't see it as a problem, in other words, but that's me.

East End neighborhoods will be even farther from the airport, and there still aren't many lofts (won't say zero; I know there are a couple, but it's not common). These places and the Strip will be urban city neighborhoods though.

Mt Washington (at least if you're near Grandview) is fine and safe, and really not that inconvenient. The places with the views are mostly out of your price range.

I don't think you'll find yourself looking at places that are actually unsafe. They mostly wouldn't be on your radar in the first place.
Mt Washington is convenient for access to the airport. Also, there are many nice streets that do not have "the view". West of McArdle Roadway, the neighborhoods are safe, even back from Grandview. East of McArdle, you need to be more careful, but there are several safe streets, and at that end, you have walkable access to grocery store, post office, etc.

Even if you don't have a view from your home, it is great to be able to walk out to Grandview - fresh air above the river and lovely views. Plus it is the place to "people watch" in Pittsburgh, since many tourists go to Mt Washington.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:02 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
Yea, if I were looking for somewhere according to the criteria earlier mentioned I would look in these places while here for a visit:

South Side Flats/Slopes
Mt Washington
Dormont/Mt Lebanon
Shadyside/Squirrel Hill

Old 08-12-2010, 04:05 PM

Any thoughts on Highland Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh