Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I've heard varying opinions on whose HD picture is better, actually (and the boss would be a stickler for picture quality). Generally I've heard it's Comcast that's better, but that's not what people here on the forum are saying.
In my area (North Fayette/Robinson), the FiOS HD picture is noticeably better here than I had with Comcast. It's much sharper with less macroblocking/pixelation. I'd say FiOS is much closer to blu-ray quality than Comcast was.

Purplesque....not sure what to say about your experience lol. As people have said in this thread, both companies are epic failures at customer service apparently. The reason I was driven to Verizon to begin with was when I called Comcast to renegotiate my rates after my current offer expired. They quoted me one rate, which I found acceptable, but they couldn't adjust anything until my current offer expired in about a week, so they asked me to call then. So I called back, their "best" rate was suddenly $15/month higher than what I was previously quoted, and they had no record of my previous call. Farewell, Concast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 07:50 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,981,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
You'll need to check whether you can get FIOS in Shadyside. It wasn't available as of May 1, 2010.

My Son has had FIOS in Shadyside (Denniston St) for over a year now.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 PM

142 posts, read 269,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I
Purplesque....not sure what to say about your experience lol. As people have said in this thread, both companies are epic failures at customer service apparently.
lol..I'm calling it Kafkaesque. Anyway, FIOS does not seem to be available at my new address on Fifth Ave, and DSL is probably not worth the hassle. Comcast it is!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesque View Post
Wow. Sorry for the quick updates, but I will NOT be ordering from Verizon.

I called them trying to get information on when FIOS might be available in my area and to see if they have some international channels that I wanted. The 1800 number kept redirecting me, so I ended up live-chatting with a rep. He told me I would have to finalize my order before he would even tell me how much the additional International channels would cost

You will have to call, but I can't give you the phone number until you order. Go ahead and place your order NOW.

It was ridiculous! This, even before I am a paying customer. Its a good thing in a way because they have ensured that I will never be a paying customer at Verizon.
All I can say is, RUN NOW. These are my similar experiences with Verizon. Never had a good experience any time I needed to pick up the phone and actually deal with Verizon.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times
On picture quality, here is a rundown on what is happening at Comcast from some serious geeks at AVS Forum, complete with illustrative screen captiures:

Comcast HD Quality Reduction: Details, Screenshots - AVS Forum

As I noted above, cable doesn't have bandwidth to compete with FTTP when it comes to HD channels. So to keep up, Comcast is adding compression to its HD channels so it can pack more of them into its limited bandwidth, which ends up degrading picture quality. FiOS doesn't need to do that.

Of course you might not notice--you might not have a good HD TV, for example. But if you are looking for the best picture quality, you definitely have to go with FiOS over Comcast.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 PM

199 posts, read 521,128 times
Comcast is pretty much the devil in my book. Verizon is not all rainbows and butterflies, but I'll deal with them over Comcast any day.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,981,438 times
....and Comcast and Versus is part-n-parcel to the Philadelphia Flyers!

Old 07-28-2010, 07:10 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
On picture quality, here is a rundown on what is happening at Comcast from some serious geeks at AVS Forum, complete with illustrative screen captiures:

Comcast HD Quality Reduction: Details, Screenshots - AVS Forum

As I noted above, cable doesn't have bandwidth to compete with FTTP when it comes to HD channels. So to keep up, Comcast is adding compression to its HD channels so it can pack more of them into its limited bandwidth, which ends up degrading picture quality. FiOS doesn't need to do that.

Of course you might not notice--you might not have a good HD TV, for example. But if you are looking for the best picture quality, you definitely have to go with FiOS over Comcast.
Good post, just one of the issues I was going to talk about. If you go with Comcast (cable and internet), here's some lovely things that you'll run into:

- Hidden bandwidth cap. That "unlimited, high speed, Comcastic" internet is actually capped at 250 GB per month, after that they'll shut down your service. Do you like streaming HD content from Netflix? If so then you should watch out.
- Sub HD quality. This was addressed above in Brian's post. Pay for HD quality and don't get what you pay for.
- Sneaky internet practices. Look up sandvining, bandwidth throttling, reducing speed when using bandwidth, awfully slow DNS servers etc. Bottom line is that they will do anything in their power to make sure that you don't get the full use out of the service you pay for.
- Aging infrastructure. Everyone knows that your internet service's speed when using cable depends on everyone else who is also on the network. Since Comcast has no desire to update their ancient infrastructure due to the financial strain it would cause, you'll be stuck with slow speed. Ditto on the speed of browsing menus with their pathetic TV receivers.

I can't really comment on Verizon since they're not available "in my area", yet my friends who live a block and a half away can get their service. It's been like that for about 3 years now.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Interesting. From a couple years ago, so maybe my more general "I've heard" stuff dates back to earlier than that. They recently (last month) dropped a bunch of analog channels which use a huge amount of the bandwidth. Not sure if that will mean less compression or just that they want room to add more compressed channels.

I don't actually get any HD from Comcast so I can't personally see what it looks like except when I go to others' houses. That tends to be mostly in other areas anyway, and I tend not to be paying close attention to quality at those times. And the quality apparently can vary by area and by channel (i.e. some channels are given less compression than others, or even none).

I have an HDTV even without HD cable service. I watch DVD and Blu-ray movies (and swear I can see a difference, although it upscales the DVD very well), sometimes streaming internet stuff jacked into the TV, and HDTV with an antenna, which is of course the best way to get an uncompressed picture for the few channels that you can do that with.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times
I haven't seen much Blu-ray or OTA HD, but I can definitely see the difference between upscaled DVD and a decent HD feed on FiOS.

Anyway, the basic problem is the technology: cable has much, much less bandwidth than FTTP, and there are already enough HD channels available to swamp cable's bandwidth. I don't really see a way out of that problem for cable, and it is likely only going to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: