Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

In their report of stimulus waste, they spent 2 pages on how much of a waste and mismanagement the North Shore Connector. I do agree there could have been better ways to spend this money locally, but there were significantly more wasteful projects in the GOP's report than the connector.

GOP senators' report calls North Shore Connector a monumental waste

Brain O' Neil also has some opinions about this Subway tunnel is hardly a money pit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:42 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Two things suprise me about this....

1. McCain commenting on the Connector project, considering he's from Arizona, I had no idea that he would even know about it.

2. I agree with him about it.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:28 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
The NSC was a waste, but it is all but finished now. We should make the best of it.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
The irony is this was a plan conceived and adopted by two Republican County Commissioners and the members of the PAT board that they appointed. The vast bulk of the federal funding was secured by a mostly Republican congressional delegation, including two then-Republican Senators, during a Republican presidential administration. Some Democrats were involved here or there, but basically this was a Republican project.

As some may know, I'm not a big fan of this project and I think some of the criticisms are well-taken: in a nutshell, this money could have been much better spent. But with respect to the stimulus funding itself, once you have already spent hundreds of millions of dollars on it, it is easily worth $62.5 million to actually put the thing to use, as opposed to writing off all that prior spending and getting nothing at all to show for it.

Oh well--this won't be the last time we see people make historically revisionist, not particularly logical, arguments about the NSC for partisan political purposes.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
The arguments presented in the opinion article are perhaps the worst I've read. I think The Onion would have done a better job. This is my favorite gem from the article:

The North Shore Connector is our consolation prize. If the federal government didn't build it here, it would have built something equally expensive somewhere else.

Really? If we didn't spend the money, someone else would have.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
I don't understand why the north shore was chosen as a stop when effort into east-end connections might be better utilized, however I can understand why a tunnel was built rather than a bridge.

I read an article a while ago comparing the overall cost of subway tunnels to light rail systems. The article stated that while tunnels last literally hundreds of years with little upkeep, above ground light rail systems need to be completely rebuilt every 50-60 years or so. I don't know what research went into that statement, but if it is true, I am glad the money was spent on a subway rather than light rail. It might cost more now, but if it saves the city from having to do a complete rebuild of that particular line 50 years from now, isn't it worth the investment?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Really? If we didn't spend the money, someone else would have.
The argument is that if the feds didn't spend that money here, they would have spent it elsewhere. And we pay federal taxes like everyone else, so if we don't get our fair share of federal transportation spending, we are just screwing ourselves.

I do think this argument requires some nuance. If you use your time machine to go back far enough, it is perhaps possible we could have planned a more useful project and gotten the feds to fund that instead. Or maybe not--like I noted above, this was a largely Republican project that got funded when the Republicans were totally in charge of the federal government, and so maybe a better project would have gotten passed over for partisan-political reasons.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 AM

296 posts, read 560,938 times
It is moronic to describe the stimulus money to the connector as a waste because without that, the project would be a tunnel between a pit downtown and a parking garage.

It is absolutely correct to call the entire project a waste. Yes, I know if we didn't use it, Seattle or Denver would have gotten the money, and yes I know that the feds don't fund this scale of project anymore - but truth be told, this project really serves no one. I never encountered a resident or tourist who just couldn't work up the energy to walk from Gateway or Wood St. across the Allegheny.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Using a tunnel might have been a good idea, but the route of the tunnel is a different matter: a tunnel straight across the river (for a route going straight into the North Side, as opposed to along the North Shore) would have been shorter, and presumably less expensive.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The argument is that if the feds didn't spend that money here, they would have spent it elsewhere. And we pay federal taxes like everyone else, so if we don't get our fair share of federal transportation spending, we are just screwing ourselves.

I do think this argument requires some nuance. If you use your time machine to go back far enough, it is perhaps possible we could have planned a more useful project and gotten the feds to fund that instead. Or maybe not--like I noted above, this was a largely Republican project that got funded when the Republicans were totally in charge of the federal government, and so maybe a better project would have gotten passed over for partisan-political reasons.
You can keep your partisan crap to yourself, because I don't care. The argument "if we don't use it, someone else will" is ridiculous. How about just leaving a surplus? How about giving the residents a refund? How about not taking the taxes at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh